Originally Posted by Thin Lizzy
It doesn't work, because after you light the candle, when the wax melts and cools it fills in the hole you made, and the wick is again too short to light.
Not if you gouge out enough of it. I find it easier to use heat to do the digging. Hold the candle upside down, and play a cigarette lighter or propane torch over the surface until enough wax is melted to expose the wick, and to about the same depth for an inch or more around the wick.
It's also possible that you got a candle with a crummy wick; one which is always breaking off and going out. If that's the case, you buy wicking material at a local craft store. Drill or melt a hole through the candle with a hot coathanger. dip your new wick in some melted wax, and thread it through the hole. Light the candle.