The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 PM

The most demented movies of all time.

In another thread, someone linked to this website which posts detailed reviews of bad movies. I was searching through the list of reviews, looking for movies that I've seen, when I found their review of Flowers In The Attic. Whoo boy. I'd forgotten just how seriously fucked up this movie was. First of all, it's the only movie I've ever seen where incest is shown in a positive light. Here's our happy, loving family. Dad is also mom's uncle, and it's hinted that he might be a pedophile too, but never mind any of that; it's their eeeevil Bible-thumping grandmother who's the dangerous one. Worse, the kids themselves become incestuous by the end of the movie. The older boy and girl, who are in their late teens, give each other baths and sleep in the same bed, for Christ's sake! Jerry Springer can only dream of finding a family that's this screwed up. On top of that, the whole idea of locking the children up in the attic so that Grandfather won't find them is just stupid and unnecessary. Doesn't that huge estate have a guest cottage or servants' quarters or something?

All in all, this movies makes me shake my head and wonder what the hell happened to V.C. Andrews to enable her to write such a story.

What other movies are like that? What movies are so creepy, disgusting, offensive, or just plain wrong that you wonder about the mental health of the people who created it?
Advertisements  
Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

*looks like title*

Like anyone could ever know that!

John Waters' early works
David Lynch's ERASERHEAD
Old 08-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Un Chien Andalou is definitely up there, even after all these years (it's a silent film). Other of Bunuel's films are also bizarre.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed
*looks like title*

Like anyone could ever know that!

John Waters' early works
David Lynch's ERASERHEAD
Regarding the OP, I think there's a difference between Waters and Lynch. Waters' movies are consciously and deliberately demented. Lynch, on the other hand, is just on a completely different mental wavelength than anybody else. In fact, one could sub-categorize demented movies according to whether the weirdness is intentional or not.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

In the latter category -- Ed Woods's Glen or Glenda.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:22 PM

Meet the Feebles

Basically, it's an R-rated Muppet Show. (And it's only R because it's puppets. If human beings did the same things, it would be a definite X.) The Feebles Variety Hour is preparing for their first live broadcast. The host (a rabbit) has a fatal STD. The star (a hippo) is stressing over the show, and her husband's fidelity, and eats an entire bakery. The manager (a walrus, and the hippo's husband) is smuggling drugs and when we first see him, he's being orally serviced by the star's understudy (a cat). The knife-thrower (a crocodile) has shaky hands because he's strung out on coke, and we see flashbacks of how he was tortured as a POW in 'Nam. Into all this comes Robert, a plucky young hedgehog determined to make it in the big city.

And who do we have to thank for this? Peter Jackson.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:24 PM

Pink Flamingos (there goes that John Waters again!)
The Doom Generation (disturbing, pointless piece of crap by Gregg Araki.)
Happiness (horribly depressing and twisted Todd Solondz movie.)
Ichi the Killer (sadistic, gory, depraved, and I got the feeling it was supposed to be humorous... from Japanese shockmeister Takashi Miike, who will no doubt show up in this thread multiple times.)
Old 08-15-2005, 11:32 PM

Battle Royale, the movie where 9th graders are forced to kill eachother by the government.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:13 AM

Wild at Heart (David Lynch, 1990)
With Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern. The scene near the beginning where someone gets killed by having their head bashed against the stone floor is about as demented as it gets. And the picture goes downhill from there. I've never been able to seriously consider Lynch as the talented director his reputation suggests, due to this and a few other disturbing movies in his filmography. Makes Pink Flamingos look like child's play.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Ichi the Killer (sadistic, gory, depraved, and I got the feeling it was supposed to be humorous... from Japanese shockmeister Takashi Miike, who will no doubt show up in this thread multiple times.)
Ok, I'll bite. Audition. Is it real? Is it flashback? Is it a dream? Regardless of what it is, it's seriously disturbing.

"kiri, kiri, kiri, kiri, kiri"
Old 08-16-2005, 09:26 AM

I'll have to mention the Guinea Pig series. For anyone unfamiliar with them, they're sort of fake snuff films. Creepy idea. I haven't seen them, but the idea seems really demented to me.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 AM

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Decapitation, Nazis, she-males, orgies, men-on-men, girls-on-girls, sex, drugs, rock n' roll.......

You name it, its in there.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:25 AM

Salo: The 120 Days of Sodom

A small group of upper class in Fascist Italy live out the writings of the Marquis du Sade with kidnapped teenagers. It's by any measure a horrific film.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopescado
Decapitation, Nazis, she-males, orgies, men-on-men, girls-on-girls, sex, drugs, rock n' roll.......

And written by Roger Ebert, too!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

Lair of the White Worm - not only bad, but just - wrong.
Boxing Helena - psychotic and ew.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:46 AM

Cannibal the Musical without a doubt.

Shutter
Old 08-17-2005, 03:01 AM

Battle Royale was a sick movie... Especially the part with the group of girls in the lighthouse, that was wacked-out shit... Don't expect much from Battle Royale 2 though, that was shit.

It's not a movie but still, if you've got a Playstation2 get out a game called Manhunt. Only just made it past US Censors and has been banned in Australia and New Zealand.

Imagine Big Brother, except everyone on the set is after one man, the cameras are always on and the only way for the guinea pig to escape is to kill everyone after him, in a style which pleases the "Director" named Starkweather (A disturbing reference to what many historians refer to as the 'original' serial killer within US modern history - Starkweather was a 15, 16 maybe - the exact age escapes me - year old male who went across the US on a killing spree with his girlfriend, who if I then remember right murdered her in a quite perverted fashion)... Either way, you get my point.

If you're not into over-the-top gore or extreme views of blood and rather prefer 'realistic' or believeable violence/ acts of degradation, I would recommend another film called "Once Were Warriors". Tells the story of a Maori (Native New Zealanders) family living in poor socio-economic conditions in the bad part/s of Auckland and how the various vices of Society and the influences of Maori culture affect their family structure.

I know it sounds boring and similar to many chick flicks you have watched at first, but unlike them this one doesn't end in smiles and your arm around your woman. If anything she'll run screaming from you for fear of her life. Things like vicious bar fights, domestic violence, drug abuse, statutory rape, gang violence and youth suicide all play a significant part. Funny thing is, this movie was originally meant to be a documentary, but it also sad and disturbing as it shows that none of the things within this movie are dramatized or used for effect. For some people not just in NZ but all around the world, it is for them, part of everyday life.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:53 AM

"Mondo Cane" must surely be on this list. A compilation film of, ahem, unusual practices that spans the globe. The film was never talked about in polite company, BUT the theme song was a major hit. "Motel Hell" had a most demented plot, there's not too many things we hold nearer and dearer than the love of food, no matter how it's prepared. Third would be a toss-up between "Welcome to the Dollhouse" and "But I'm a Cheerleader."
Old 08-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Almost anything directed by Russ Meyer ought to be high up on the list. Faster Pussycat is an obvious addition, but I've got soft spots for Common Law Cabin, Motor Psycho, and Mondo Topless. Really, the Meyer oeuvre in its entirety ought to be required viewing for any student of the bizarre and tasteless.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 AM

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover (actually, just about anything by Peter Greenaway)

The Reflecting Skin ("Eban's an angel!")

The Holy Mountain (Jodorowsky is generally weird, but this one...)
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd
Cannibal the Musical without a doubt.
Just watched that with some friends, last night!

"Let's build a snowman, we can make him our best friend..." ./7
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 AM

Delicatessen gives Peter Greenaway a run for his money.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Somewhere on the list should be The Hotel New Hampshire.

Big stars, big budget, big hype. Completely sick.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:43 PM

Happiness of the Katakuris, a bizarre Japanese musical, with several extra-bizarre stop-motion animation sequences, and a most un-musical-like storyline.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventur is pretty demented, too, but in a good way.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

El Topo. A quote from the review:

"One might describe El Topo as a sort of surrealistic Zen Western - imagine Luis Bunuel meets Sergio Leone, or maybe the Kung Fu tv series (1972-5) directed by Sam Peckinpah. Jodorowsky himself plays the titular El Topo (Spanish for The Mole), a gunslinger dressed all in black leather who rides through the countryside accompanied by his naked son. The plot consists of El Topo’s attempt to defeat four gunslingers who are spiritual masters and defend themselves against him with the likes of butterfly nets or by allowing bullets to pass through their bodies. All of this comes accompanied by much sex, fetishism and violence - the streets do quite literally run with blood. And the film also features a number of genuine freaks and malformities."

It's a seriously crazy movie, worth seeing if you're into demented, tho quite hard to find.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Jodorowsky is one of my favs!

El Topo is not currently available on DVD, but it is a great film. There were riots in several different countries when the film opened!

Santa Sangre is my favorite of his, and is also not currently on DVD.

Thankfully, Fando y Lis is on DVD, and it's quite as bizarre as his other films.

Oh, yeah, The Holy Mountain is available on DVD in the UK.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sapiens
Happiness of the Katakuris, a bizarre Japanese musical, with several extra-bizarre stop-motion animation sequences, and a most un-musical-like storyline.
There's that damn Takashi Miike again.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sapiens
There's that damn Takashi Miike again.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Pink Flamingos
gotta agree with BBVL... Mama Edie and the eggs... whew!
Old 08-17-2005, 04:40 PM

Not exactly demented, but:

Gummo.

Yipes.

I must go now...
Old 08-17-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm
Meet the Feebles

Basically, it's an R-rated Muppet Show. (And it's only R because it's puppets. If human beings did the same things, it would be a definite X.) The Feebles Variety Hour is preparing for their first live broadcast. The host (a rabbit) has a fatal STD. The star (a hippo) is stressing over the show, and her husband's fidelity, and eats an entire bakery. The manager (a walrus, and the hippo's husband) is smuggling drugs and when we first see him, he's being orally serviced by the star's understudy (a cat). The knife-thrower (a crocodile) has shaky hands because he's strung out on coke, and we see flashbacks of how he was tortured as a POW in 'Nam. Into all this comes Robert, a plucky young hedgehog determined to make it in the big city.

And who do we have to thank for this? Peter Jackson.
Is it out on DVD??? It sounds deliciously sick!
A few more:
  • Forbidden Zone--French cult film starring Herve Villechaize and the "Queen of the B's" and former Warhol star Susan Tyrrell
  • Trash--Warhol film with Joe Dallesandro and Holly Woodlawn as the adorable junkie couple-next-door. Holly's beer bottle scene is worth the price of admission!
  • Andy Warhol's Frankenstein--My first on-screen decapitation; also the single most demented line in screen history: "To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gall bladder!"
Old 08-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Whom It May Concern
If you're not into over-the-top gore or extreme views of blood and rather prefer 'realistic' or believeable violence/ acts of degradation, I would recommend another film called "Once Were Warriors". Tells the story of a Maori (Native New Zealanders) family living in poor socio-economic conditions in the bad part/s of Auckland and how the various vices of Society and the influences of Maori culture affect their family structure.

I know it sounds boring and similar to many chick flicks you have watched at first, but unlike them this one doesn't end in smiles and your arm around your woman. If anything she'll run screaming from you for fear of her life. Things like vicious bar fights, domestic violence, drug abuse, statutory rape, gang violence and youth suicide all play a significant part. Funny thing is, this movie was originally meant to be a documentary, but it also sad and disturbing as it shows that none of the things within this movie are dramatized or used for effect. For some people not just in NZ but all around the world, it is for them, part of everyday life.
Great movie, although I wouldn't consider it especially "demented." Nothing in it that you wouldn't find in a Lifetime movie of the week. Except for the quality, of course. I'm not sure where you got the idea that it was supposed to be a documentary, though. It's based on a fairly famous novel of the same name, written by Alan Duff.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:47 PM

want2know, Meet The Feebles is indeed out on video, as is Peter Jackson's first film, Bad Taste. I happen to have one of the limited edition numbered copies of BT (# 16552/50000).
Old 08-17-2005, 11:20 PM

Naked Lunch

Pi
Old 08-18-2005, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2know
[*]Andy Warhol's Frankenstein--My first on-screen decapitation; also the single most demented line in screen history: "To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gall bladder!"[/list]
God, that guy was hillarious.
SPOILER:
And the end speech, which the good doctor delivered with most of his guts hanging out on the pike he was impaled on. "All I had vas a laboratory...and a dream!

Anyway, I'll say...

Caligula ("Oh, yeah, really going out on a limb there, Ran. Real brave." Kinda chilling how many things they didn't have to make up for the plot, though.)

Men Behind the Sun Chinese semi-exploitation film, based on the history of Japan's Unit 731 in occupied Manchuria. You see where that's going, right?

And I will say, for the record, that there are some episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends which make me doubt the general sanity of mankind. (Why would you even put a Maze of Madness in your freaking attic? For laughs?)
Old 08-18-2005, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Roger Ebert gave it two thumbs up!!
Old 08-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltguy154
"Mondo Cane" must surely be on this list. A compilation film of, ahem, unusual practices that spans the globe. The film was never talked about in polite company, BUT the theme song was a major hit.
MORE
THAN THE GREATEST LOVE THE WORLD HAS KNOWN
Old 08-18-2005, 03:22 AM

Anything by David Lynch...that bastard.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You want sick? Try to sit through Ilsa, She Wolf Of The SS .
Old 08-18-2005, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Happiness (horribly depressing and twisted Todd Solondz movie.)
That was the first movie that popped into my head as soon as I read the thread title.

Also, A Clockwork Orange, which I saw for the first (and only!) time a few months ago.

Requiem for a Dream - If you've never seen it before, DO NOT WATCH IT STONED!! Trust me on this. Although, a second viewing under normal brain patterns wasn't all that different.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:55 AM

Zabriskie Point (1970) great sound track, weird movie. Late 60's Riots on campus. Acid Trip deluxe

Anything by Andy Warhol
Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 AM

Anyone else think Oldboy should make the list?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:41 AM

The Forbidden Zone is off the friggin hook! A must see for any Danny Elfman fan.

I'll second Requiem for a Dream, and then I'll toss out THE #1 MOST FUCKED UP MOVIE OF ALL TIME............

The Star Wars Christmas special. I mean seriously, WTF?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:13 PM
BANNED

Check out Island of Death. I rented this because I thought the description I read must be an exaggeration. Nope. The fact that the two main characters are siblings is the least appalling thing in the story. A turning point early in the movie, the point at which have the audience will turn away and decide to give the rest of this saga a miss, is when the male lead, in a beautiful Greek-island resort setting, abruptly starts humping the bejesus out of an adorable little baby goat. After that, I can only say that you've been warned.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
the point at which have the audience . . .
Make that half the audience. Gotta start proofreading before I submit.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:03 PM

I see your dementia right here: Begotten

God disembowels himself with a straight razor. The spirit-like Mother Earth emerges, venturing into a bleak, barren landscape. Twitching and cowering, the Son Of Earth is set upon by faceless cannibals.

Watching this film is just as sick as the description implies. Fun for the whole family!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin
Check out Island of Death. I rented this because I thought the description I read must be an exaggeration. Nope. The fact that the two main characters are siblings is the least appalling thing in the story. A turning point early in the movie, the point at which have the audience will turn away and decide to give the rest of this saga a miss, is when the male lead, in a beautiful Greek-island resort setting, abruptly starts humping the bejesus out of an adorable little baby goat. After that, I can only say that you've been warned.
I was coming in here to nominate Sante Sangre but I'd obviously blocked Island of Death from my memory (or Island of Perversion as it was titled on the video copy me and some friends rented many years ago). I find it hard to conceive of anything being more demented than that. What follows the goat-humping scene mentioned by Baldwin you'd rather not know. Seriously fucked up.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:01 PM

Every time I see one of these types of threads I wait and I wait and I wait... but it seems to take forever for anyone to mention Liquid Sky.

Or Head.
Or Green.
Or Mr. Mike's Mondo Video.
Or The Groove Tube.
Or Twice Upon A Time.

Or.... well, you get the idea. I can list demented/weird/strange films all day; I own quite a few and have seen even more. I have some kind of weird attraction to the weird which is apparently mutual; I seek them out, and they seem to find me on their own. I own all of these films on DVD, except Mr. Mike's, because it was only released once, in 1985 on VHS, and Liquid Sky, because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

My favorite of this (short) list is The Groove Tube, which even after umpty-ump watches still brings me to tears.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hook
I see your dementia right here: Begotten

God disembowels himself with a straight razor. The spirit-like Mother Earth emerges, venturing into a bleak, barren landscape. Twitching and cowering, the Son Of Earth is set upon by faceless cannibals.

Watching this film is just as sick as the description implies. Fun for the whole family!

Sounds similar to Eraserhead, which btw, is just a parody of the Gospel story.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed
Sounds similar to Eraserhead, which btw, is just a parody of the Gospel story.
What really gets you is the cinematography. If you anyone ever rents Shadow of the Vampire some day, I recommend watching the "trailer".