The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-16-2005, 04:53 PM

I write letters in the wrong order--what gives?

This has happened to me since the late 90s, and it usually comes in waves (a bunch at once, then nothing for a long time).

When I'm writing by hand, I sometimes write [i]not[i] the next letter but the letter after that. So, I might write "cat": A-(whoops, go back)-C-T.

The weird thing is that I think the next letter but then write the one thereafter. It is truly a perplexing brain fart. I have no trouble reading and no (in my own diagnosis) trouble with dyslexia.

I don't consider it a real problem, so I'm not asking for medical help. Just ideas as to cause, etc.

Thanks!
Advertisements  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:00 PM

Does this happen when you are writing longhand or when you are typing or both?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Do you ever mix up numbers, such as writing down a phone number, and then dialing only to find out you have transposed the numbers?

Can you follow directions, when someone tells you to go left, then right, to a destination that isn't familiar to you?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM

Writing longhand only. Never in typing.

Nope, no problems with left/right, etc.; have good sense of direction.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:52 PM
graphite is a great moderator

[QUOTE=Aeschines]Writing longhand only. Never in typing.

QUOTE]
I'd say you're just curs(iv)ed.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:58 AM

I get this when I'm tired, I also tend to write the letter 'a' rather than the pronoun 'I'.
My brain is going too fast for my hands to keep up and I start writing the next word before finishing the first - it happens when typing or writing.

This isa fairly typicale example ofa mistake a would write.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:16 AM

I do the same thing quite frequently, but usually not with the beginning of words. I'll write "recordable": R-E-O (go back and squeeze in) C R D A B L E.

I immediately know I wrote the wrong letter, and I'll just put the one that was supposed to go there in front and continue. It's always been there, and I don't see numbers or letters inverted, I've never had any reading problems, and I have one of the most highly developed senses of direction of anyone I've known (I build 3D maps in my brain that I can navigate as if I'm flying over them.)

It doesn't happen when I type, only when printing (cursive is error free too).

I'd be curious to find out what the deal is as well...it's been a puzzle to me my whole life.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Do you ever mix up numbers, such as writing down a phone number, and then dialing only to find out you have transposed the numbers?

Can you follow directions, when someone tells you to go left, then right, to a destination that isn't familiar to you?
I'm curious why you ask these two particular questions. I am plagued by transposing numbers and have had difficulty with left/right most of my life (I'm still not great at it, and I'm 30). On the other hand, I taught myself to read when I was 4, and have been reading voraciously ever since, so I don't think dyslexia is the culprit.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:54 AM

Huh. It looks like a mild form of dycalculia. It appears I am weak in sequencing, while conceptual/holistic/right brain processing is strong and so are attentional skills. This seems to explain some the odd descrepancies in what I can and can't do easily in math. (I wouldn't put it at the level of a learning diability -- I did attend a high school for math and science).

Interestingly, I also have trouble with names which is connected to poor sequencing, although I don't exactly see why.

Also interesting, it is common for students with dyscalculia to be accelerated in verbal skills and language, science (up to the point where it requires lots of math) and the arts. That really describes my interests and abilities well.