Is there any limit to the number of guns I can own as a private citizen in Maryland?

Just curious. Assuming I had a firearms permit, if I wanted to assemble my own personal arsenal, is there any limit (in Maryland) to the number of guns I can own?

FWIW, I’ve never heard or seen any limit in any other state I’ve lived in (4 states over the past 10 years to date), so what would make Maryland any different?

Tripler
Besides, who’s business is it if you don’t advertise the fact?

I don’t believe there is any limit except you can’t buy more than one every thirty days. You can have as many rifles, shotguns, and handguns as you want. You mentioned a permit. You don’t even need one of those to buy guns in Maryland, just the electronic background check. However, a desirable permit is a permit to carry handguns rather than just keep them at home or at the range.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/f/gunlaw_md.htm

I didn’t realize that. So I can buy a handgun with only a background check. No license or permit required… (unless I want to carry it in public).

Umm… what if you get stopped by the police for a traffic violation on the way back from the range, and it’s in your car (on the seat) in a holster? I wonder if this is considered “carrying”?

www.packing.org, an excellant site regarding concealed carry, doesn’t address long arms. So my search there didn’t help at all.

Shagnasty says you can only buy one every 30 days, but I didn’t see that in the link. Some states have limits on frequency of purchases. I’m in Missouri and we don’t have that here. If my memory serves, and I’d suggest checking, you can usually buy long guns in adjoining states. I have purchased long guns in a state adjoining Missouri. So that could be a way to go if one a month doesn’t fit your schedule. Of course the BATF may come calling! :eek:

Here’s what www.packing.org says about “vehicle transport”:

The only legal time and way you can transport a firearm in a vehicle without a permit is: While transporting a weapon to:

A Gun shop for repairs.
From place of legal purchase.
Formal or informal target shoot.
Sport shooting event.
Hunting.
Trapping.
Dog obedience training class or show.
Organized military activity.
NOTE: In the above exceptions, while traveling to or from any such place or event referred to, a handgun shall be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, box or holster.

I’d also point out that it’s almost impossble to obtain a concealed carry permit in Maryland unless you can document threats against your person. Even retired LEO or Corrections officers must do so in order to get a permit.

Didn’t the FBI use ‘too many guns’ theory to raid the Davidians?

No becase there is no such federal law. IIRC there was suspicion of illegal machine guns.

Eventually, the mass of the pile 'o guns will be so great that they will be crushed by their own gravity. That might be too many. Alternatively, you might run out of space to put them.

You know my friend Bob?

Pshaw, there is no such thing as too many guns. They are like air and cash, you can never have too much.

This is generally considered a bad idea, no matter what permits you may or may not have. If you’re transporting the gun, put it in some kind of locking case or box. They’re not that expensive.

In these hypervigilant times, I wouldn’t be surprised that in Maryland and other “liberal” states, to find someone somewhere tracking unusually high purchases of firearms. If it isn’t a gvmt. agency, then a data-mining firm that provides information for the government.

Does he go to the Carroll county gun range? :smiley:

I live by a similar adage: You can never have too much ammo.

I’ve been stocking up on .308 ammo over the past 5 years in preparation for that rainy decade… :wink:

That’s correct.

The NRA has a synopsis of Maryland gun laws here:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=MD

This applies to handguns and the so-called assault weapons only. (I have no idea how Maryland currently defines “assault weapon.”) Assault “pistols” cannot be legally owned in any instance unless they were registered with the MD Secretary of State Police prior to 1994.

Even a simple holster isn’t sufficient to avoid being charged with illegal transport. The holster - such as a “clamshell” type - (or other container) must fully enclose the handgun so that no portion of it is visible.

And if you live, or travel through, D.C., all bets are off. A whole different set of laws apply there.

A mandatory seven-day waiting period is also imposed on handgun purchases.