The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-29-2005, 08:07 PM

Where do I go to get my car's CD player fixed

My 6 year old stock CD player in my car won't eject CDs anymore. Where do I take it to get it fixed? I assume a car audio shop but I don't know where to look in yahoo yellow pages to find one as audio turns up nothing. Is there anywhere other than car audio shops that could help me? Its probably a better idea to just buy another CD player, they are only $100 with free installation.
Advertisements  
Old 08-29-2005, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark
Its probably a better idea to just buy another CD player, they are only $100 with free installation.

I'd go this route unless you're really attached to the other player for some reason.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I would just buy a new one. I doubt anyone has parts for a 6 year old player even if their is such a thing as a car stereo technican.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:44 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Sorry to piggyback on this thread. It just didn't seem worth opening a new one.

One of my stupid kids or one of their friends put a DIME, yes a coin, into the CD slot in my 2003 Toyota Camry. Bottom line, I"m fucked. It scratches CDs

What do I do?

Can it be removed? Or just go for new player.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem

One of my stupid kids or one of their friends put a DIME, yes a coin, into the CD slot in my 2003 Toyota Camry. Bottom line, I"m fucked. It scratches CDs

What do I do?

Sure it can be removed samclem. Getting the coin out is likely a five minute maneuver. Getting the stereo out of the dash is likely more time consuming. See if a Haynes manual or other online resource describes the stereo removal process. If you can accomplish that, then popping off an exterior skin and shaking out the offending object should be fairly simple.

To Wesley: the answer is dependent on how easily your existing stereo is removable. Some DIN units are a 5 minute swap, others are a major undertaking.

Last edited by samclem; 08-29-2005 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: fixed coding
Old 08-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

I successfully removed, fixed and reinstalled an AM/FM/Cassette deck from a 94 Chevy Corsica after someone stuck the pull tab off a soda can into the cassette deck and it fell into the inner workings. The only real pain may be getting the stereo out of the car, auto companies have made stereos a real pain to remove as a anti theft deterent.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem

What do I do?

Sometimes you can get coins out of the piggy bank, other times you can't. It will depend on the player, and exactly where the coin is stuck. My advice? You can try, but don't hold your breath.

You might want to check with the dealer about the cost of a replacement. No guarantees here, but some car makers have rebuilt units available for a very reasonable cost. The advantages are, the unit fits, and hooks right up with no modifications. If you ever had to fix all the f-uped wiring after the installer at adequate purchase did to a car, this is a biggie.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:28 AM

If it's a "stock" radio the only people who will probably do repairs on them are the auto dealers. They're probably going to charge you some $$ to do it to.

I'd go the new deck route. Deck $100, free basic install, install kit $20, wire harness $15 (parts ain't free in a basic install).
Old 08-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire
I'd go the new deck route. Deck $100, free basic install, install kit $20, wire harness $15 (parts ain't free in a basic install).
Maybe there is a coupon.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:14 PM

One other thought is that if the deck is unfixable, but you were happy with it, you could look for an identical replacement on eBay. Many folks upgrade from the factory unit and sell them.

I moved up from a factory AM/FM cassette to factory AM/FM cassette/CD for less than $100, and the swap took 5 minutes.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty
Maybe there is a coupon.
There you go. Come to think of it I did see a 'buy 3 car stereos get a fourth free' coupon while digging through the neighbor's garbage last night.