What Gilbert & Sullivan operetta did Rehnquist get his robe stripes inspiration from?

It’s reputed that Rehnquist’s redesign of the Chief Justice’s Robe afew years ago was inspired by his admiration for a similar robe seen in a Gilbert & Sullivan Operetta. What was the play? Who was the character?

The Lord High Executioner?

If not him, then who?

Words on the streets is it’s Iolanthe, although my first guess was Trial By Jury. Both of them have satirical court scenes.

Probably Trial by Jury. Or perhaps the Lord Chancellor’s costume in Iolanthe.

The play: Iolanthe

The person: the Lord Chancellor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehnquist

There’s no court scene in Iolanthe.

Malacandra, sometime Strephon and Lord Mountararat (no, not in the same production).

It’s the one about duty.

They’re all about duty.

For some reason, this conjured the image of shady, vaguely criminal characters skulking around dark alleyways and discussing light opera. Possibly in a sinister, somewhat threatening fashion. I find that very amusing.

thwartme

Cite for the gold strips being from this play..

Reading over the script, it seems while there is no court room scene, there is most definitly a judge.

There is a Lord Chancellor, who is by way of being the most senior judge in the country…

I half-remember that The Chief actually appeared in a small part in a Gilbert & Sullivan production around here some years ago, but I don’t remember what. It would have been a small cameo roll.

–Cliffy

If you want to get picky about it, no, but there’s a Parliament scene with a judge, which is close enough for me (and evidently Judge Rehnquist)!