I need a good use for coconut milk

Okay, I really like coconut flavored dishes, particularly Thai ones. I made something a few days ago that used a little bit of the really thick, almost paste like coconut milk. Now I have almost an entire can in the freezer that needs to be used up, and preferably in the next two weeks, as my boyfriend is moving in then and is allergic to coconut milk and I have no desires to make him sick, but I also don’t want it in my freezer until the end of time. So in short, I need recipe suggestion. I mean I can just eat homemade Thai food for the next two weeks, but I might get bored with that. I’d really like easy bread/cake recipes as I can share them with the girls at work the easiest, but I’m willing to try almost anything.

Mix the sludge with vanilla ice cream to get coconut-vanilla ice cream. Or do some coconut ice cream from scratch: ice, cream, coconut milk, sugar,…

Mmmmmmmm…coconut!

Well if you’ve already considered Thai recipes…and I see ice cream was just mentioned (what a good idea :)) what about drinks? Non alchoholic if your taking them to work…potentially alcholic if not. I’ve recently become fond of a bottled drink that involves coconut, bannana, and pineapple…very tasty.

Coconut Creme Pie :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pina Coladas!

Wildguy makes this a lot where he works - it’s VERY popular with his guests.

2 onions chopped
2 tbsp oil
3 apples, chopped
1 qt chicken stock
1 can coconut milk
3 bananas, peeled, cut into chunks
3 tbsp curry powder (or, to taste)
1/4 cup honey (or more, to taste)
Salt, white pepper

Heat a heavy stock pot. Put in the oil. Allow to heat for a bit, and then add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent. Add the apples, and saute for a few minutes. Add stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and add bananas. Simmer until the mixture is reduced by 1/3. Puree the mixture until smooth using an immersion blender (hand blender) or in a food processor (in batches, if needed). Add curry, a tablespoon at a time, until you get the desired flavor. Add honey, and correct seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro.

Hope you enjoy!

Rose

Is it coconut milk or cream of coconut? I have a really good coconut cake recipe but it need that thick cream of coconut stuff (one brand name is Coco Lopez). It comes in a can, is really, really thick, and needs to be stirred well before you use it, as it separates in the can.

Coconut Cake
1 box yellow cake mix (not the kind with pudding in the mix, just a basic cake mix)
1 bag shredded coconut
1 can cream of coconut
1 small tub of Cool Whip

Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box. Stir in a little more than half the shredded coconut. Pour into a 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake as directed. When it comes out of the oven, let it cool for about 10-15 minutes, then poke it all over with a fork. Pour the cream of coconut over the top of the warm cake. Make sure you’ve stirred it well as it separates in the can. Let it cool the rest of the way. When it’s completely cooled, mix the rest of the shedded coconut into the Cool Whip and use that to frost the cake. Slice and enjoy.

Here’s what I would try since I LOVE coconut milk.

Get some boneless skinless chicken breast.
Salt and pepper both sides (and any other spices you like)
Cut up some onion and green pepper.
(pineapple too if you desire)

Spread two sheets of foil one on top of the other on the counter.
Lay one breast (the chicken’s that is :wink: ) on the foil
Put your veggies on top of the chicken
Pour some of the coconut milk on it.
Wrap it all up very tightly in the foil (You don’t want any leakage)
The repeat these steps with the rest of the breasts.

Cook on Medium to High on your grill for about 20-25 minutes.

Coconut Chicken

[ul]1 pound chicken tenderloins or other boneless, skinless chicken pieces[/ul]
[ul]coconut milk - whatever you have[/ul]
[ul]salt[/ul]
[ul]cayenne pepper[/ul]
[ul]black pepper[/ul]
[ul]1-2 eggs[/ul]
[ul]handful of shredded coconut[/ul]
[ul]two handfuls of crumbs of some sort - bread, cracker, chips, etc. (my favorite so far has been crushed lime tortilla chips)[/ul]
[ul]whatever seasonings look good at the moment. I like paprika, cayenne, lime or lemon zest, and a little more salt and pepper.[/ul]

Put the first 5 ingredients into a ziplock bag. Add some cow’s or soy milk if you need more liquid to get the chicken wet. Marinate 1 hour or as long as you like - the longer, the more tender the chicken. I like to do it overnight, if I’m thinking ahead.

When ready to cook, beat one or two eggs in a bowl with a tablespoon or so of water. In a second bowl, mix shredded coconut, crumbs, and seasonings

Take the chicken out of the milk marinade (do NOT rinse it!) and roll it in the crumb mixture. Then dip the chicken into the egg, and again roll it in the crumbs.

Deep-fry, pan fry, or bake (350 for 20 minutes or so) as desired until chicken is cooked through. Don’t overcook.

I serve mine with an easy lemon or lime sauce, which I make by heating some juice on the stove, melting a bunch of sugar into it, and adding red pepper flakes. Bring it to a boil briefly. As it cools, it becomes syrupy and makes a fantastic dipping sauce.

It’s also great made with shrimp or extra-firm, well-pressed tofu instead of chicken.

If you’re cooking for one, you can marinate and bread the chicken, then lay the pieces on a cookie sheet and freeze them. Once frozen, store them in a well-sealed plastic bad in the freezer, and take out as many pieces as you like to cook them whenever you want. The sauce lasts pretty indefinitely in the refrigerator.

My wife has a recipe for a “Piña Colada Cake” that I believe requires coconut milk, and it’s darn good, too. I’ll get the recipe when I get home.

When I have extra coconut milk, I toss it in with the water for cooking rice. If it’s the thin stuff, I’ll cut back on the amount of water a bit. Coconut rice is good!

I’m wondering if you substituted the coconut milk for the milk in the recipe for Tres Leches Cake if it’d be good (I’ve got a feeling it’d be wonderful.) (And in the recipe I found, they have a variation with Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut in it).

Here’s a recipe:

1-½ cups All-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
½ cup Unsalted butter
2 cups White sugar (divided)
5 Eggs
1-½ teaspoon Vanilla extract (divided)
1 cup Milk
½ of a 14-ounce can Sweetened condensed milk
½ of a 12-ounce can Evaporated milk
1/3 cup Liqueur, Frangelico, Brandy or Chambord, for example (optional)
1-½ cups Heavy (whipping) cream
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside. Cream the butter and 1 cup of the sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla. Beat well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing well until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.

When cake has finished baking, pierce it in 8 or 10 places with a fork or skewer, and let it cool. Combine the whole milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk and liqueur and pour over the top of the cooled cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Whipped Cream Topping: When ready to serve, combine the whipping cream and the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup of sugar, whipping until thick. Spread over top of cake.

Because of the milk in the cake, it is very important that you keep the cake refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve chilled.

Variations:
Caribbean Version: Replace the sweetened condensed milk with ½ cup of Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut in the milk mixture. You can also add ¼ cup rum.
Southern Version: In addition to the three milks, add 1/3 cup peach schnapps. You can add ½ cup of diced, drained peaches to the batter. About ¼ cup of pecans can be added to the batter or sprinkled on top of the cake before serving.

Try making Thai iced tea, except substituting coconut milk for the usual condensed milk and/or cream. That’s what one local Thai restaurant does, and it’s quite good.

That’s what I do to. Yummy!

I’m a huge fan of this Brazilian Shrimp Stew. I’ve never been able to find the dende but I’ve read that making the dish without it turns it into another version of the same stew. Personally, I really like the taste even without the stuff.

I serve it over rice.

Only thing I ever buy coconut milk for is to make tom kha gai.

my favourite smoothy is the orange coconut. orange juice, coconut, ice, honey. put in a blender, blend 'till smooth, put it into a glass, drink.

yummy!!!

Gotta be pina coladas

2 recipes:

4 oz pineapple juice
2 oz coconut milk
2 oz white rum
a handful of ice

Shake and pour into a tall glass.

Recipe #2:

instead of shaking, put the above ingredients into a blender along with a handful of frozen pineapple chunks and blend till slushy. Then into the tall glass with it. Consume!

Thai peanut sauce.
Cook garlic, peppers and onion in olive oil. Add coconut milk and peanut butter to taste. I like to add Louisiana hot sauce.
Use on grilled skewered chicken; cook mushrooms and water chestnuts in it.

Coconut milk goes very well with dark rum.