(bismuth subsalicylate)

The label says:

“Soothing Relief for 5 Symptoms
–Heartburn
–Indigestion
–Upset Stomach
–Nausea
–Diarrhea”

Isn’t that a pretty tall order? Or are all these things the result of the same thing/condition?

Their web site says some doctor created it for “child cholera,” but “studies” didn’t discover the active ingredient (bismuth subsalicylate) until long afterward. How did this doctor know what to put in? And exactly what does bismuth subsalicylate do? I know the ads say it “coats” the stomach, but I doubt one little capful could really do that.

I don’t know how it works, but Bismuth elixers & tablets have been around since the 19th Century, made by many different people.

Pepto is not likely to be the first of its kind.

Hope this site helps a little (PDF):

Bismuth has been used in medicine for over 200 years.

I’m glad there’s a Pepto topic, because I’ve been wondering something for a few years.

For most of my life I’ve had a horrible stomach/GI tract. In about the 4th grade I had tons of tests run and I think they finally diagnosed gastritis and IBS. Back then Zantac was about my only option.

The thing is, every other day or so my stomach would hurt and prevent me from going to school. Pepto always relieved the symptoms, but my pediatrician told my mom to stop giving it because it contained salicylates. He said that, in the long run, the asprin would be more harmful to my stomach and wasn’t worth the temporary relief. After that, I got no Pepto.

Nowadays my savior seems to be Nexium, but there are still a few days per month that my belly acts up in the morning. I thought about Pepto again and did a little research about it. Their website is very specific in listing “non-asprin salicylates” as an ingredient. Apparently the mint is what they’re talking about; I wasn’t really clear on that.

So my question is, is Pepto truly harmful to your stomach in the long-run, or did my doc make a simple error? Was I deprived of the soothing goodness of the pink stuff for naught?

I envy people who can get relief from the pink stuff. It is one thing that will make me throw up. Every time.

snakescatlady, have you tried the capsules that you swallow whole? They work just as well and you don’t taste a thing.

I got treated for a pre-ulcerous h. pylori infection and part of the treatment included peptobismol 4 times a day for two weeks. I don’t know if it would be harmful to take it every day, but it seems odd that it would be part of the treatment for ulcers if it is an irritant.

not quite an answer to your question (working on that) but here is some interesting news: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/2685390/detail.html

Is There A Danger In Taking Too Much Pepto-Bismal?
08/01/2001

Q. I frequently suffer from indigestion, for which I take up to four doses of Pepto-Bismol a day. My pharmacist says that’s fine. Is it true, or is there a danger in taking too much Pepto-Bismol?

A. Four doses a day for indigestion should be safe for up to a month. But with continual use of Pepto-Bismol, you may risk problems with either bismuth or salicylate, two of the primary ingredients in this digestive aid.
Bismuth overdose may lead to neurological symptoms and unsteadiness, although this is unlikely with Pepto-Bismol. Salicylate is similar to an ingredient in aspirin and can interact with other drugs or cause ringing in the ears.
Prolonged indigestion calls for medical diagnosis. You may be infected with Helicobacter pylori, a bacteria that can live in the stomach and cause ulcers or chronic gastritis.

I hate the word “bismuth”. Hearing it makes my stomach turn, as does watching Pepto commercials with that diarrhea dance.