The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 AM

Advantages of Douching? (TMI)

So are there any women out there that douche? As a male I'm somewhat ignorant of that aspect of female hygiene.
If so, with what? Some sort of solution? Does it achieve anything? Causes yeast infections?
Or douching some archaic practice that only serves as fodder jokes?
Advertisements  
Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 AM

They still sell supplies for it at Walmart, I passed them looking for other things a few days ago, and thought to myself, wow, I've been wandering around the feminine care area since puberty and I never saw that stuff. I must be blind.

I don't know anyone that does and all the books say it's bad for you and unnecessary.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:10 AM

My mother douched when I was growing up, and probably still does.

I've never asked her how that's worked for her. Contrary to the old commercials, most mother/daughter conversations do not revolve around feminine hygiene.

From what I've read, and from my own experience, douching revolves around the archaic idea that women's vaginas are somehow "dirty" and need to be "rinsed and disinfected" before they are clean and acceptable.

IMHO, this is marketed paranoia. The vagina balances itself, not unlike the immune system. It manufactures its own bacteria which keeps its PH at a healthy happy balance. A normal vagina does not need artificial/outside help to keep itself clean and healthy. If you douche you're actually killing/rinsing away the healthy bacteria and making yourself more vulnerable to an imbalance which can lead to an infection.

Yeast infections, again IMHO, are only caused by imbalances in your system...in my case, from generic "all-purpose" antibiotics, which kill all bacteria in your system, not just the bacteria that's causing whatever other health problems it was prescribed to solve. Yeast infections are also linked to scenarios in which you have sex and do not urinate/cleanse yourself shortly afterward. (That's the only time I've ever had one; new boyfriend, just moved in together...lots and lots of sex...didn't get up til the next morning....bingo! Yeast infection!)

Some women are more prone than others, but generally speaking, douching does not help anything but a woman's preconceived idea that her vagina needs to be "scrubbed" like a bathtub because it has a tendency to get "dirty" over time.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:36 AM

Douches can disrupt the growth of normal vaginal flora and indeed cause yeast infections.

The vagina is actually the cleanest part of a woman's body. Douching is unnecessary and can cause problems. If odor is the issue, try wearing a pantiliner during the day, washing more often or keeping pubic hair trimmed very short.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:45 AM

It's not the actual vagina that's usually the problem, after all. Amazon Floozy Goddess's advise is correct, because it's the labia area that can be not so fresh, if you must know. I know, I know, lots of people call the whole works the vagina (or, if you are my son, the bagina) but douching is for the real vagina and that's one place that doesn't need freshening.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:59 AM

In times past, douching was mainly employed as a birth control device. It was only marginally effective, so they say.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:07 AM

I've been wanting to start a thread about this. I've been wondering as well.

What is the bag for?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:32 AM

Does anybody actually use flavored douche or is that just an urban myth?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

You used it to mix the water and powder, hang it up and use the attached nozzle to douche with. Nowadays you can buy premixed bottles, with the nozzle that screws into the bottle.

I don't douche any more, for all the reasons listed. I have used it for end-of the-period cleansing when expecting to have sex that night. I used the flavored ones back in the day. I'm not sure how they tasted, but my boyfriend seemed to like them.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:29 PM

Great...now I have that SNL "Autumn Fizz" commercial running through my head...
"Autumn Fizz...the carbonated douche."
Old 09-15-2005, 01:00 PM

So why is douche bag such a great insult? I thought the 'dirty' stuff got collected in the bag. Well, my ignorace has be bested today. Now I can go back to the Enquirer.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra
So why is douche bag such a great insult?
I don't know, but I know I can't get enough of using "douche nozzle" as an insult these days! Heh...
Old 09-15-2005, 07:34 PM

[slight hijack]

Did you guys know that Lysol used to be marketed as a contraceptive douche? Back in the days before talking openly about birth control was acceptable, it was touted that Lysol would kill "germs" and was exellent for "marital hygiene." The directions for usage were printed on the back lable. (The museum in which I work has one of these.)

Unfortunately, many women believed that if a little Lysol would kill "germs", a lot of Lysol would kill even more. They were horribly burned.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Levins
Yeast infections, again IMHO, are only caused by imbalances in your system...in my case, from generic "all-purpose" antibiotics, which kill all bacteria in your system, not just the bacteria that's causing whatever other health problems it was prescribed to solve. Yeast infections are also linked to scenarios in which you have sex and do not urinate/cleanse yourself shortly afterward. (That's the only time I've ever had one; new boyfriend, just moved in together...lots and lots of sex...didn't get up til the next morning....bingo! Yeast infection!)
TMI and a little OT, but pertinent to this post - the only time I've ever gotten a yeast infection was when I was already on antibiotics for an ENT infection. Stopped the antibiotics, the yeast infection cleared up right away.

I've never used a douche. I've seen various 'feminine hygiene' products in the supermarket, but we don't seem to have the market for it over here, AFAIK. But then I barely shave my legs if I can help it, so I'm not really up on all the female doo-dads and whatnots that we're expected to use nowadays.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
[slight hijack]

Did you guys know that Lysol used to be marketed as a contraceptive douche? Back in the days before talking openly about birth control was acceptable, it was touted that Lysol would kill "germs" and was exellent for "marital hygiene." The directions for usage were printed on the back lable. (The museum in which I work has one of these.)

Unfortunately, many women believed that if a little Lysol would kill "germs", a lot of Lysol would kill even more. They were horribly burned.
You know how when in the movies when a guy gets kicked in the balls all the males in the room tend to flinch in sympathy?

This scan of an old Lysol ad should have the same effect on females.

Ow!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:47 AM

People buy those things all the frickin' time at Wal-Mart. Seriously, there are probably 5-6 people a day who come through my line with douches. The grossest part is the fact that they're called "vinegar douches" or something. Who wants vinegar up their cooter? Also, I've heard that it is not necessary to use them and that oftentimes they cause more harm than good.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 AM

We got them in our dorm welcome packets back in the 80's. Can you even imagine?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup
"Tuna" was a poor seller...
Old 09-16-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim
"Tuna" was a poor seller...
"Goat cheese" didn't do too well either...
Old 09-16-2005, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon Floozy Goddess
"Goat cheese" didn't do too well either...
"Bea Arthur" also had disappointing numbers...
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
Who wants vinegar up their cooter?
Hmm. Add a little olive oil, some chopped herbs. Someone would toss that salad.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Haniver
You know how when in the movies when a guy gets kicked in the balls all the males in the room tend to flinch in sympathy?

Ow!
Why did I click the link? I knew it would be bad...and still I went there. ::sob::

I'll be sharing this with my co-workers; misery loves company, don't you know.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
That. Is. HORRIFYING.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:33 PM

Appealing daintiness is assured, because the very source of objectionable odors is eliminated.

WTF? It mechanically removes your vagina? Or your uterus?

That's really, really scary.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caricci
Heh! We got microwaveable mashed potatoes in our welcome packets this year. And Post-it notes. How times have changed. I hope.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup
There actually was such a thing, some years back. IIRC, it was called Cupid's Quiver. It came in strawberry and other flavors. Poor sales. Total failure.

I worked with a lady who had worked in a drugstore. She told me the only worthwhile use for Massengill's Douche Powder is for soaking one's feet.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

A parallel to flavored douches is mint-flavored condoms for oral sex. I haven't seen them in the stores, but the local Planned Parenthood office gives them to bars for freebies.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Welcome to college you smelly cunt.

I'm guessing the Anchovie flavor didnt' do too well either.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:25 PM

Too bad the flavor thing didn't last. Hot Buffalo Wing flavor would have been a big seller, especially on 25 cent draft night.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:27 PM

Yeah, and women would have just been lining up to spray hot pepper sauce up their genitals.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:31 PM

I'm liking the idea of 'four pints & a curry' flavour. A whole evening in one moment.

FWIW, my 90s university induction involved astonishing amounts of condoms, and a few leaflets for extremist Islamic groups. 'Twas very strange.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
The grossest part is the fact that they're called "vinegar douches" or something. Who wants vinegar up their cooter?
There's actually a tiny bit of science in that, because the normal pH of the vagina is slightly acidic, so the thought is that douching with a vinegar solution will restore the proper balance if things are out of whack. Oh, and some think that an acidic douche will kill sperm and prevent pregnancy. Yah.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Man, they couldn't give away the Nacho Cheesier variety.

Cool Ranch, on the other hand, did surprisingly well...
Old 09-16-2005, 04:59 PM

Peanut butter did well with test panels, though some though the chunky variety was off-putting
Old 09-16-2005, 05:26 PM

O.K., this is really TMI, so you've been warned:

Funny, I actually wanted to start a thread about a similar topic, so I think I'll just put my question in this thread. I haven't been with a whole lot of women, but a good percentage of those I've been intimate with had what was, to me, a disagreeable odor in that area. I'm getting from this thread that douching isn't the answer. I once asked a woman friend about that, and she seemed to think it was a matter of washing the labia thoroughly, and that many women don't do that as well as they should. But then I had a girlfriend at one time who, when we showered together, didn't seem to like spending too much time washing that area. She seemed to be afraid of getting soap inside her or something - I'm not really sure because she didn't explain it that well.

So what's the scoop on that? Does washing the labia with soap get rid of that yucky smell, and is there some reason you wouldn't want to be as thorough as possible in the process?

Hope this doesn't offend anyone - I'm genuinely curious about this.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:32 PM

Well, here's how I wash mine (I am going to go into great detail here, so I'm spoiler-boxing it for those who might not want to read such intimate things):

SPOILER:
SUCKA!!!!

And really, even though I end up a little sore, I think it's all worth it and the effects last for up to a week.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudere
Yeah, and women would have just been lining up to spray hot pepper sauce up their genitals.
The blue cheese helps cool it down.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:53 PM

Previous thread about Lysol's "other use."
That ad always reminds me of the part in V. C. Andrews's Heaven when
SPOILER:

Her new foster mother makes her take a bath in scalding hot water with Lysol.

The only reason for a woman to smell bad would be poor hygiene, (not washing your naughty bits, basically), or an infection. (Which can be caused by douching.)
So, The New Guy, I would imagine your girlfriend's problem was her fear of washing herself properly. I always wash myself with soap and I've NEVER had an odor problem.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:01 PM

Mr.Sin just suggested Taco flavor :wally
Old 09-16-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
I always wash myself with soap and I've NEVER had an odor problem.
[old joke]and the next thing we'll do is test your sense of smell...[/old joke]
Old 09-16-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott
A parallel to flavored douches is mint-flavored condoms for oral sex. I haven't seen them in the stores, but the local Planned Parenthood office gives them to bars for freebies.
On the rare occasion I perform oral sex, this is what I use. Yes, I am married and monogamous.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaMan

FWIW, my 90s university induction involved astonishing amounts of condoms, and a few leaflets for extremist Islamic groups. 'Twas very strange.
I went to university in the mid 1980's, when AIDS was just becoming publicly talked about, and the big campaigns were starting.

We had a big rally where we were talked to about safe sex, and leaflets were handed out to all, with condoms STAPLED to the leaflets!

Then the next day there was an emergency leaflet drop saying we were not to use the condoms, they had just been a symbolic gesture. Right...... Wonder how many were used, anyway????
Old 09-16-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Guy
she seemed to think it was a matter of washing the labia thoroughly, and that many women don't do that as well as they should. But then I had a girlfriend at one time who, when we showered together, didn't seem to like spending too much time washing that area. She seemed to be afraid of getting soap inside her or something - I'm not really sure because she didn't explain it that well.

So what's the scoop on that? Does washing the labia with soap get rid of that yucky smell, and is there some reason you wouldn't want to be as thorough as possible in the process?
2 reasons, so I understand (caveat: IANAW):

1) some women are EXTREMELY prone to urinary tract infections. Like, all the time, at the slightest provocation. We guys don't really have to worry about UTIs very much, b/c we have a very long urethra that keeps most stuff out. Not so for women. Hence, soap can cause irritation and then UTIs.

2) some women are very uncomfortable with their own parts. As a guy, I chalk this up to years of subliminal and overt indoctrination that sex is bad, girls who like sex are bad, girls' sexual organs are bad, coupled with the fact that, whereas guys' parts are right out there in the open, women have to go much more out of their way to look at and interact with their bits. So a great many women would prefer to never, ever touch those parts if they could help it, so very little washing.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:55 AM

I've experimented with douching but the results were not good. I was a teenager and I saw a sort of hot, glamourous looking woman buying a douche at the drugstore. It stuck in my head that maybe she knew something about being an appealing female so I decided to try it. It sounds stupid but...I'm pretty stupid sometimes.

I got one that smelled like vinegar because it sounded more natural than meadows. I'm not sure what appropriate meadows-smelling substance I could put in my vagina. I'm sure it's not real flowers and grass, but whatever it is, it doesn't seem right. I wouldn't use flower-smelling mouthwash, after all. Vinegar just seemed more like a thing you can conceivably have inside your body. Plus some people swear by it for windows so it must have some cleaning properties.

So for a few days my crotch smelled like vinegar and I was not happy at all. I was aghast, really. I was washing and washing and the smell kept coming back. I mean, go to the kitchen right now and close your eyes and imagine a nice vagina and then stick the vinegar under your nose and tell me what you think is wrong with that vagina. Now imagine that is in your pants. It's like something went bad. Scary. I was paranoid I had disturbed some delicate ecosystem I didn't understand. But it wore off. I don't really know how long it took. Time is completely relative when your vagina smells weird. It could have been weeks or just hours. Too long, anyway.

Another thing I thought about too late was the expression "grease cutting action." It's apt.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott
I work at a Planned Parenthood. We have spent many a slow evening opening and torturing condoms to see what it takes to break them--you know, bic pens, eight gallons of water, that sort of thing.

Not to ruin your next special evening or anything, but the mint flavored condoms smell just like BV*.

SPOILER:

Bacterial Vaginosis
Old 09-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
On the rare occasion I perform oral sex, this is what I use. Yes, I am married and monogamous.
Um, why do you have your husband wear a condom when you give oral? Do you think your husband's penis is ucky or something?

As far as washing one's privates... the best thing for washing your girly bits is the hand-held showerhead. Once I got one, I couldn't figure out how I ever lived without it. Soap up the girly bits and the rest of the crotchal region (a soapy pouf feels nice!, then give it a good rinse down with the hand-held, making sure to spread apart the folds so you get all the nooks and crannies. hehehehe Now that's clean!

I can't imagine the concept of girls being so uncomfortable with their privates that they don't wash them. That should be taught to all children by their parents at a very young age.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geobabe
There's actually a tiny bit of science in that, because the normal pH of the vagina is slightly acidic, so the thought is that douching with a vinegar solution will restore the proper balance if things are out of whack. Oh, and some think that an acidic douche will kill sperm and prevent pregnancy. Yah.
I'm diabetic, and occasionally I need to take antibiotics. Both of these conditions can cause yeast infections. A vinegar douche can relieve the symptoms (itching and odor) of the yeast infection, while I'm waiting for the diflucan to take effect and/or going through a course of antibiotics. Though I'm not particularly fond of smelling like vinegar, I find it less offensive than the yeast smell. I used to use a douche containing Betadine for controlling yeast infections, which was more effective than the vinegar douche, but it seems to have been taken off the market.

I find the danger of getting a yeast infection is an excellent motivation for me to control my blood sugar. I love chocolate, but the taste just isn't worth going through that problem!
Old 09-17-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctea scandiaca
I can't imagine the concept of girls being so uncomfortable with their privates that they don't wash them. That should be taught to all children by their parents at a very young age.
Reminds me of a little old lady who lived in a facility I used to work in. We wern't supposed to bathe her, but because of her confusion we were to help her in and out of the shower, and verbally prompt her to wash while in there.
Here was our conversation the first day:

Me: Okay Ruby, take that soapy rag and wash your face
Ruby: ok
Me: Good! Now (yada yada, various body parts)
Ruby: ok
Me: Good! Now reach down and wash between your legs.
Ruby: Oh noooooo honey, thats delicate!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote of the YEAR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey
Time is completely relative when your vagina smells weird.
Classic. If I had any guts at all I'd use that in my .sig
Old 09-18-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting ignorant
Quote:
Time is completely relative when your vagina smells weird.
Classic. If I had any guts at all I'd use that in my .sig
I'm more partial to this part, myself:

Quote:
[...]go to the kitchen right now and close your eyes and imagine a nice vagina and then stick the vinegar under your nose and tell me what you think is wrong with that vagina. Now imagine that is in your pants.
"Imagine a nice vagina..." ::snort:: Excellent post all around, I say.