The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2005, 10:01 PM
cerberus cerberus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Car Decal: Black Square with Blue Stripe

I see this on more than a few cars in the US. What does this decal mean?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 10-21-2005, 11:48 PM
False_God False_God is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Most likely this decal represents the "thin blue line" of law enforcement between regular folks and criminals; however; I've also heard that there's also a similar decal that stands for bear-related activities and/or SMDB. I'd side with the law enforcement explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2005, 12:05 AM
jayjay jayjay is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by False_God
however; I've also heard that there's also a similar decal that stands for bear-related activities and/or SMDB. I'd side with the law enforcement explanation.
Not quite...the Leather Flag has blue and black (and white) stripes (plural), not one blue stripe on a black background. And the Bear Flag is shades of brown and gold.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Larry Mudd Larry Mudd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ass end of Alberta
Posts: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by False_God
Most likely this decal represents the "thin blue line" of law enforcement...
Bingo.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2005, 12:31 AM
SmackFu SmackFu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
There's also the HRC, which is two yellow stripes on a blue background.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2005, 03:40 AM
chaoticbear chaoticbear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
Not quite...the Leather Flag has blue and black (and white) stripes (plural), not one blue stripe on a black background. And the Bear Flag is shades of brown and gold.
Beaten to the punch. ::sigh::, I'm losing my touch in my older years.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Laughing Lagomorph Laughing Lagomorph is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackFu
There's also the HRC, which is two yellow stripes on a blue background.

I've been wondering for years what this thing meant. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2005, 10:49 AM
drhess drhess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
A friend was doing research in a rural area and became friendly with a local gas station owner. She finally asked him on day if he knew the rainbow flags he flew on the station everyday were a symbol of the gay rights movement. He said he didn't know, but said he liked them and kept them up anyway. She said she was sure he wasn't gay. I've often wondered how many rainbow flags are flying just for that reason. "Look, it's so pretty."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2005, 10:55 AM
jayjay jayjay is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticbear
Beaten to the punch. ::sigh::, I'm losing my touch in my older years.
Whippersnapper...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Polycarp Polycarp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A better place to be
Posts: 26,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhess
A friend was doing research in a rural area and became friendly with a local gas station owner. She finally asked him on day if he knew the rainbow flags he flew on the station everyday were a symbol of the gay rights movement. He said he didn't know, but said he liked them and kept them up anyway. She said she was sure he wasn't gay. I've often wondered how many rainbow flags are flying just for that reason. "Look, it's so pretty."
The rainbow is also the symbol of the Cursillo Movement, a cross-denominational thing in Christianity (started by Spanish Catholics, spread worldwide, picked up by Episcopalians and then by Methodists and UCC'ers among others) where a three-day short course ("cursillo") in practical Christianity is followed by an ongoing commitment to a deeper spiritual life. In that program, it symbolizes "all the colors of God's love."

It's worth noting, too, that the HRC equals-sign logo is not a symbol meaning "I'm gay" but rather "I support equal rights for gay people." My wife and I had that decal on our car bumpers for years (haven't picked a new one up for our current car).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.