Ask the ballroom dancer

By request from astro

Up until I got put on bed rest before the birth of my daughter in 2004, I was an amateur coach for the MIT ballroom dance team. I was a founding member of the team in 1989, and started teaching regularly (mostly beginner and occasionally intermediate classes) probably in '93 or '94. I competed from 1989 until December of 2003 (when I was 5 months pregnant), with a six month hiatus in 1996 for a foot injury (vascular necrosis of the sesamoid bones of the foot). For the last couple of years that I competed, Charlotte Jorgensen (whom some of you might remember from Dancing With the Stars) was my primary trainer. I competed primarily in international style standard, with a brief foray into American style smooth in 1992-1993. I was one of the co-chairs of the 1994 US amateur championships in Boston, and served on the rules committee for the amateur governing body for about five years.

The MITBDT is pretty competitive, and has been one of the top teams in the northeast for the last ten years or so. Its annual competition draws around 400 couples. At its peak, I think there were about 70 members, although I believe it’s down to 40 or 50 now. They are fun to teach for a geek like me, because everyone understands when you analyze dance in terms of force vectors and conservation of momentum. They also tend to practice a lot and to be relentless in attention to detail. Of course, it does take more work to clean some of them up for competition, too. :slight_smile:

Any questions?

Do you see more dancers over 50 than under AND if so are they juicing?

When I was 18 I used to valet park cars at various high society functions and I noticed a large amount of couples that were in their 50’s & 60’s would do some outrageous ballroom dancing.

Then we parked a 50th graduation anniversary at Rice university and those people in their late 60’s early 70’s were doing just about all the tossing, twirling and hoopla that I thought it was some freaky simply ballroom meets cocoon episode.

It was wild.

There are fewer over-50’s in amateur competition. A large number of the ladies in pro-am competition (where an amateur dances with a teacher - only the amateurs are normally judged) are over 50. Florida (and possibly other states) has statutorily limited the number of lessons that can be sold in advance because of dance studios preying on elderly widows. :frowning: (Incidentally, in amateur competition, “Senior” starts at age 35. :rolleyes: “Senior II” is over 50. In pro-am, the age categories are more finely divided, and vary from competition to competition.)

I’m not sure what you mean by juicing - the US DanceSport Council (USDSC) has recently instituted a random drug testing program in accordance with IOC guidelines. My understanding is that it’s not much of a problem, although I know of one person who got suspended for the use of a Vick’s inhaler (I think that’s what it was - it was an innocent mistake, and a short suspension). If you just mean are they energetic, then hell yes. :slight_smile:

The heydey of acrobatic jitterbug was in the late 1930’s. How long ago was this reunion? If the attendees were in high school or college around then, that would explain it. I’m not used to seeing aerials among the older set these days, although I don’t really hang out at swing venues.

That must be it because the graduation was in 1940.

I guess I always think of jitterbug as more street clothes and sailor uniforms (informal) for some reason and ballroom when the dress is more formal and glittery.

A few questions:

Assuming they are primarily students does this ballroom dancing act as a social meet and greet for men and women to “hook up” or is it all business?

Do dancers have a say in the choosing of partners or does the instructor pair couples up?

Can tall or short people compete or is it difficult to be competitive if you are outside of the norm? Do you pair people up to be as height compatible as possible?

Do men need special ballroom dancing shoes or are good quality business oxfords just fine?

How do most men come to want to do ballroom dancing? Are they dragged in by girlfriends or do they come of their own volition or what?

I’m wondering have you met my sis, she and her hubby teach out of Tribeca. They’ve been on the Today show. :slight_smile:

The MIT team is primarily student, but faculty, staff, and spouses are also eligible to join. It’s fairly common to come into it as a social activity, but those who are primarily looking for a social outlet tend to migrate to the Ballroom Dance Club, which is a social group (started sometime in the 70’s, I believe). The Ballroom Dance Team is focused on competition. But the team does definitely have social events and is a collegial environment. People are very supportive of one another whether or not they are dancing together. (Many people are surprised the first time they go to a ballroom competition, because they expect some sort of refined gathering. The couples on the floor may look elegant, but the people on the sidelines cheer louder than they do at football games.)

The dancers choose their own partners, and switching partners from one competition to the next is common, especially among the rookies. Instructors will offer advice to those looking about prospects, but no one is required to dance with any other particular person. Partners need to be not only physically compatible, but to have similar working styles and preferably similar learning methods. If I’m trying to help people on the team find partners, I probably spend more time thinking about their personalities than I do about how they will look together.

The unusually tall women and short men often have difficulty in finding appropriate partners, but certainly can be competitive. I remember a couple of foreign students who were about 6’6" and 5’11", respectively - we used to refer to them as the “German juggernaut,” because it could be pretty scary when they started coming down the floor at high speed towards you. There is one guy who has been on the team for years who is exactly five feet tall. He has a lot of trouble finding women who feel comfortable dancing with him, but he’s quite a good dancer and does well in competition.

It’s hard to say what the ideal height matchup is - for standard, it’s probably more important that the partners have about the same length inseam than that they be the same height. There is more height flexibility in latin, because the partners spend less time in closed dance position, and even when they are in “closed” position, they’re not usually in body contact.

Both men and women can start out with regular shoes, but those who compete seriously almost always want to get one or two pairs of shoes made for ballroom dancing. The most noticeable difference is the sole - ballroom shoes have soles of chrome leather, which is chosen because it has a high static coefficient of friction and a low dynamic coefficient of friction - once you’re moving, it moves across the floor easily, but when you’re standing on a foot, it grips pretty well. Ballroom shoes are also more flexible, so that you can really bend the foot at the ball, and then push strongly out of the toes. Finally, the women’s shoes have a steel shank, so you have to really work hard to break a heel. Ballroom shoes typically cost about $100-$150/pair, so people don’t buy them until they’re pretty sure that they want to dance seriously - but they’re not that much more expensive than a good pair of oxfords.

Actually, the most common reason for men to start is to meet girls. :slight_smile: The MITBDT is very unusual among college teams in that we usually have an excess of men, not women, in the rookie classes. It’s still less than the percentage of men at MIT - the women are more likely to want to dance than the men - but the team stays pretty balanced. Some are dragged in by their girlfriends, but those couples usually end up in the social club, rather than on the competition team. There are plenty of ballroom couples who are also couples in “real life,” but it can be pretty complicated maintaining a personal relationship and a dance relationship. (My husband and I danced together for a couple of years, but it was starting to have negative effects on our relationship outside of dancing, so we both found other dance partners.) In terms of romances that start up between team members, I would say that they are about equally split between partners that start dating and nonpartners. I would say that getting into a romantic relationship ends up destroying a dance partnership about half the time when it occurs, either because the dance partnership is sacrificed to the “real” relationship (like me and my husband), or because the dance partnership cannot survive a romantic breakup.

Maybe, but I wouldn’t remember without a name.