Why is Takoma Park, Md so full of filthy, filthy hippies?

I am going to Tokoma Park, MD tomorrow to visit my filthy hippie relatives.:slight_smile: Every time I visit, I notice that my relatives, their neighbors, and the community at lage seem to be devoted to diversity, multiculturalism, etc. So do the stores in the area. Food co-ops and yoga places right and left. Now, I will ask my relatives about this, but I also want to get the opinions of any posters about this, as well.

P.S. I have visited websites talking about the history of the town, but have found no answer. Wikipedia notes I am not imagining it, but gives no cause.

Heh. A place where I used to do maint in TP had some interesting tenants-very cool people.

I would imagine they’re trying to get away from people who consider them filthy, filthy hippies.

It’s not odd that there’s a filthy, filthy hippie town. I’ve lived in several and I tend to prefer them. . .but the difference was, they all had colleges in them.

Maybe there’s a clue here. . .

http://www.takomagov.org/index.html

We almost moved to Takoma Park at one point. Came within a gnat’s whisker of buying a three story colonial there.

As for why it is? I’m sure it’s an accident of history. Possibly related to the relatively close proximity of the University of Maryland.

Not sure how it started, but I think it’s one of those “hippies bring hippies” places now: after the mayor declared TP a “nuclear-free zone” in '83, it got a national reputation as a Berkeley-type place, and therefore attracted people who would, well, be at home in a Berkeley-type place.

I don’t think it has much to do with Universities; U of MD is a bit of a haul away, and the colleges in Takoma are tiny things.

Years ago we rounded them up and kicked them out of their mother’s basements in Bethesda and Chevy Chase, and they had to settle somewhere, Silver Spring said “No thanks!” so it was off to Takoma Park. Lazy Maryland hippies always roost close to home.

I wouldn’t call it a haul… it’s probably a 10 or 15 minute drive to the University from Takoma Park, depending on traffic. I’ve had to drive it enough times… :slight_smile:

does it have anything to do with the close proximity to the 7th day adventists? there’s a bunch of schools, a hospital, etc… all 7th day adventist in Takoma Park.

Hell, they own one of the tiny colleges John Corrado mentioned. That could be it, or it might not.

In all seriousness if you really want to know why hippies ((luv)) TP over the years the Washington Post has done at least one or two extensive historical profiles addressing TP’s status as counter culture magnet and the in depth history of how it got that way.

Some short stuff

Takoma Park History

Hippy Havens
A long-time vegetarian co-op confronts “the meat issue”

Good links, astro.

I liked this bit about TP in the second one,

Hee! Look at the adverts - for hippie clothing and Yoga! There might be something to the 7th Day Adventist connection; there’s certainly a link between the Adventists and vegetarians. I love visiting TP - they have a great year-round farmer’s market (which is finally back to it’s regular location!) and lots of very interesting (though sometimes pricey) shops. I also visit the TP-SS Co-op when I can - good bulk foods, good prices and good natural food selection. TP can be quite quirky, though! A friend told me of a friend of hers who had a tree that he wanted to cut down, and he had to go through all kinds of hoops to be able to do it. laughs When he finally received permission, the guy he hired came out, but had forgotten to bring the permit; a neighbor called the police, and the police arrived to “protect” the tree!!! At that point, unfortunately, the tree was nearly down, and because of the delay it ended up smashing into the roof of the friend’s house. :frowning: All I could think of, though, was the policeman standing there to protect the tree. Geeze louise! Now that’s Takoma Park quirkiness, imho. :smiley:

You ever see the South Park episode “Die Hippy, Die”? I figure that it’s probably along those lines.

Now, whether or not you need the vehicle from The Core to get to the middle ot Takoma Park is another question.

We have a small hippie haven here in SW Ohio. It’s the Village of Yellow Springs.

Nice place, actually. It has a good book store, and a nice pub.

:dubious: What would that have to do with anything? I suppose 7th Day Adventists might be different in MD, but it’d be impossible to mistake one of the ones I’ve known for a dirty hippy, especially since the adults I’ve known have taken the whole “cleanliness is next to Godliness” thing to heart. Except, perhaps the fact that both groups tend to wear skirts - but only women 7th Day Adventists wear skirts, unlike the hippy guys I went to college with…skirts over pants aren’t cool, man.

Heh, I grew up right down the road from TP and knew quite a few people who lived there. Fun little town. If you get a chance, you simply must check out the Annual Folk Festival. Mucho fun.

TP is not nearly as “hippie” as it used to be, if you can imagine that. It’s a true melting pot town, with all types of different people, but still predominately liberal:

White Non-Hispanic (44.2%)
Black (34.0%)
Hispanic (14.4%)

This message brought to you by the U.S. Department of Redundancy Department. :wink:

Zombie.

Stake.

Heart.

Closed.