Do hickies cause cancer?

My very concerned (or paranoid) Mother recently told me that hickies cause cancer. But knowing how my Mother is, and being that I’m 15, she would probably say anything to make me hesitant to engage in anything sexually, even if it’s just making out. I assume many parents try to discourage their growing adolescents by telling them hickies cause cancer and such, thus disheartening them about the whole making out deal (because we all know that that leads to). So please, anyone, is my Mom really trying to keep me from getting cancer, or just blowing smoke?

Testing mice in Canada causes cancer.
Everything they try there is soon off the market.
They should breed stronger mice.

But they can lead to behavior that kids (or adults, for that matter) shouldn’t engage in until they’re ready. Heard that one before, I’ll bet. :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge.

A hickey is basically just a bruise, so a hickey would cause cancer no more than a bruise does. That being said (written), I never have understood why someone would want one. Wanting to give one seems as if you are wanting to mark your property. Both sides of the equation seem strange…

You’re right Steve-O. Hickies are just like bruises. So I guess the question is-Do bruises cause cancer? I heard something like the capillaries are ruptured (through both bruises and hickies)and when they try to repair themselves they do it incorrectly. I’m not quite sure how, my friend was telling me about it. I also agree with you about why anyone would want one, I don’t. But one time I messed up and my girlfriend sucked a bit too hard on my neck and then I got that damn love bite. I get hickies VERY easy, it sucks. Everyone on my baseball team was joking on me about it. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Any time cells divide (as happens during tissue repair), there is a chance for an error to occur in the formation of the new cells. There is also a chance that one of these errors could result in the formation of a cell that will result in cancer. So… yes, there is a chance that a bruise could lead to cancer, but it is a very small chance. Looking at it this way, cutting yourself, stubbing your toe, slamming your tongue in the trunk (don’t ya hate when that happens :wink: ), brushing your teeth, or shaving could lead to cancer, although the chances are very small, and not worth worrying about.

I can see how people would think that bruises etc. lead to cancer though. If you happen to obtain a really large bruise (example: whacking your leg on a concrete table), it forms a little knot as it heals.

supposing that your girlfriend sucked hard enough to draw blood, and assuming that she has a case of oral herpes, and taking as a given that you get infected on your neck, and just for the hell of saying that the herpes triggers a cellular change to which you are genetically predisposed, then hell yeah.

always listen to your mother.

jb

p.s.- I have a very sensitive neck. getting a hickey sometimes feels great. like nipple clamps or something. you should know of which i speak, lovingthepain. if that is your real name.

Not amongst the Chinese.

What is that supposed to mean?

Anyway, just look at it this way: everything will cause cancer. Walking will cause cancer. Talking will cause cancer. Thinking will cause cancer. It’s too bad some parents use fear to intimidate their children into doing or not doing things.

i have no clue either…

ohh, wait. I get it. nice and subtle, jcarbon. nice and subtle.

I believe all laboratory mice are kept in cages of some sort. Laboratory mice that get cancer are kept in cages. Ergo, cages cause cancer.

Stay out of the batting cage.

Hickies are tacky. Show a little class. That is really what your mom wants you to do.

Once day at the Wendy’s that I worked at in high school, there were 4 girls working the front counter. Two of them were obviously pregnant, and one of them and the other two girls had hickeys on their necks. (The females’ uniform at our store didn’t have a collar.)

A loutish customer came in and looked over the four of them and said, “Well, I guess Wendy’s girls are ‘hot and juicy’!”

(If you’re too young to remember, “hot and juicy hamburgers” was Wendy’s trademark at first, before the insipid “Where’s the beef?” campaign.)

LouisB, I do show a little class. I don’t like them either, I was just pondering the question “Do hickies cause cancer?”. My Mother is sort of person who goes popping off about things she really doesn’t know about. My Mom, being the hypocrite that she is, has had many hickies before. I guess my soon-to-be Step Dad just can’t help himself. I really get disgusted by them. The thought of parents and sex-hold on a second I’m gonna hurl. Sex is fine, parents and sex is not. And while I’m here thinking about-why does everyone think sex is so bad? Sex isn’t bad, it’s the media’s and government’s interpretation of sex that’s bad. They see it as something evil, desecrating, degrading, and in some forms it is (ya know, bestiality). For instance there was this chick who had guys line up so she can give each one a hummer. I’m serious about this, there have been girls that do this around here. I don’t get it. I wouldn’t be having a big line to give like 100 girls (that’s about how many guys she had lined up) to give each one face. I mean, if you’re going to blow 100 guys, at the least get paid for it. I don’t get some girls. How do they expect anyone to respect them if they’re flashing their tits and blowing any guy that gives them the time of day? Dazed and confused I’m signing off.

a belated thanx jb.