Fuck you, House of Blues. Fuck you in the ass with a red-hot dildo fueled by my rage.

All right, so this weekend a friend and I went to see The Musical Box for its recreation of Gabriel-era Genesis’ The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour. It’s being touted as the last North American tour for The Lamb, and I was excited to go. I saw the same act earlier this year in Chicago, and it was great.

A friend and I bought tickets to three shows over the weekend (Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago), and planned to cart ourselves around and have a bit of a vacation. Early this week, we were disappointed to hear that the first show was cancelled, but what can you do? (Of course, we lost our Ticketmaster “convenience” charges, but of course Ticketmaster is evil, so I wasn’t too surprised.)

Friday’s show at the Pabst Theatre in Milwaukee was excellent. We had gotten our tickets early and had great seats in around the fifth row. I could see the stage very well and if we were any closer, we would have probably been obstructed to see the back of the stage during certain numbers. It was fantastic and we really enjoyed it. There was a bit of inane chatter toward the end from some of the more drunk concert-goers, but nothing too horrible.

The next concert was at the House of Blues in Chicago. They had a different venue last year, and we’d never been to the House of Blues, but we were unsuspecting. We kick around the area until our reservations at the House of Blues restauarant at 5. My companion had checked the website and found out that you could “pass the line” if you purchased dinner at their restaurant. Being a general admission show, this sounded like a good plan so we could score some good seats. The dinner was anticlimactic but edible, nothing special, and we got in the no-line line about an hour before the doors opened (around 6:30).

We started chatting with the older couple in front of us and found out that the theatre was standing room only! Of course, this wasn’t advertised, and no other options had been available when we bought our tickets except for General Admission. I pulled out my ticket and, sure enough, “Standing Room”. With several other tickets for the showed, so neither of us had never really looked that close. I was sort of torqued off to be paying $36.50 plus “convenience” charges and fees to stand up for the concert. Also, the concert had been bumped back an hour and a half, with no opening act, so it started at 9pm. Apparently, “sometimes” they put out seats. I would have thought with a group where the median age was probably in their forties, and quite a few older people, that they would have put out seats, so I maintain some hope.

We waited in line and were poked and prodded for security reasons, our IDs were checked, and so on and waited, packed in the “no line” line, until well after the doors were supposed to open. My friend and I were fortunately first in the non-line, so we got in the venue and tried to get a good spot.

Unfortunately, there just didn’t seem to be any good spots! The ground floor had the choice of either standing directly next to the stage (which, for this concert’s visuals, is not a bonus) or waiting around in the center for people to fill in front of us (and I’m not terribly tall). We went up to the second floor and found that the entire front was packed with stools – all “reserved”. Of course, we had no option to buy any of the reserved seats when we bought tickets. We found a few stools behind the reserved seats, near the bar, and staked those out. However, we were sure we’d have a very obstructed view, because the balcony wasn’t slanted at all - completely flat.

From the general grumbling of the audience, we found out that the “reserved” stools were for people who bought a “dinner package” that we didn’t know about. Security came by often to make sure nobody was even leaning on the empty stools. Most of the stools seemed to go empty for the show, too. Even the stools seemed bad seats as they were crammed in very close to each other and people stood directly behind those people (so we couldn’t see the stage).

W waited, of course, past 9pm (the longest hour ever – we were both kind of pissed off, and it was too loud to really talk anyway). I thought about getting one of their horrendously overpriced drinks – the lady next to me paid $14 for a glass of wine – but thought I probably should skip it, since there’s no way I could be drunk enough to be happy, and still be able to help drive back.

Finally, the concert starts. I will say this much – the sound was incredible, much better than the Pabst. Unfortunately, every other possible fucking thing was awful.

1.) The screens: For those of you who aren’t familiar with the show, they use three slide projectors behind the band. There was some sort of netting or something in front of the screens (but behind the band) which visually distorted the slides to the point of not being able to tell what a lot of them were.

2.) The lighting sucked. They were off queue. My companion saw this more, being taller – I couldn’t see well enough to say too much. They don’t turn down the house lights at all for the whole concert.

3.) The view, of course, was obstructed to the point where no amount of shifting would allow me to see the band except for the guitarist – not even when I stood up and got on my tip-toes, and I’m 5’ 7". The vocalist was only visible at the far back of the stage – anywhere close to the front and I couldn’t see him.

4.) Yet, by far the worst part of the whole thing, though, was the audience – they talked very loudly through the whole thing, and about every minute, someone would start shouting over the band! I can understand a little bit of excited chatter but, even during the very loud numbers, they kept shouting over it.

Even worse, they were shouting disparaging comments. About half of the group were actual fans who were interested in the music; the other half were drunken poseurs who apparently didn’t mind paying $40+ for music that they didn’t like, in so long as they were able to ruin it for everyone else.

The table to my immediate left was probably the worst of the group. After the first song or two, they all lost interest and talked as loudly as possible.

During about the fourth song, one of the drunken idiots started shouting “PLAY SOMETHING THAT I KNOW!” Fucking idiot, the concert plays the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in its entirety; if you don’t like the music, then why are you here?

During The Carpet Crawlers, one of my favorite songs, the same drunken idiot listens enough to get the tune of the chorus and then starts shouting over the band his own personal words to the song, about his small penis or something like that. To be honest, I don’t remember what it was, except for the fact that it was obscene, and I was angry enough to be trembling at this point.

Now, mind you, I am the kind of person that (for right or wrong) does not like to confront others. I’ve never so much as shushed anyone in a movie theater. Generally it’s just not worth it to me. I tried, oh how I tried, to filter these idiots out. I am just not a person that gets very angry very often. However, while my fuse is long, it does end somewhere.

At this point, a woman joins the group (she had apparently wandered off elsewhere for most of the first half). She sits directly next to me in the open stool and starts loudly talking with the man on my right. (They’re both next to me, one slightly forward and one slightly back.) Keep in mind, her mouth is about three inches from my ear. She starts chatting it up with him about oh so how much she loves him, and starts running her fingernails over his back. I can’t hear anything except for her, as she’s talking over the music, “Oh I love you so much honey, so very very much, I wonder why we never go to the House of Blues, I never seem to think about it, but I love you my little bunny rabbit, blah blah blah”. They start being a little more affectionate than is really necessary, bumping into me. I clear my throat extremely loudly and jolt forward. I didn’t even plan this – it just sort of happened, I was frustrated enough. They take this as a cue to move back about two inches and keep talking.

At this point, the gentleman at the table on THEIR right gets up and says “Look, guys, if you just want to talk, why don’t you talk somewhere else? We can’t hear.” This was an older gentleman, and he wasn’t rude. I think to myself, ‘thank you for saying something’.

The whole table seems to intake a sharp breath at once and all start going off on the man. “What the fuck?” says the woman, nearly loud enough to be screaming. “I can talk if I want to! You’re not my boss!” Her male companions start up going “Yeah, fuck off, we’ll talk if we want to”. At this point, I can almost understand – they’re drunk, and they’re falling over each other to show how loyal they are to the rest of the group by defending them.

The point where I start to lose it is the fact that they keep bitching about what a horrible asshole this guy is for over an entire song. These are not short songs – five, ten minutes? I’m not sure. The song is loud enough that I’d have to scream to say anything myself, but I can hear these idiots loud and fucking clear over the song – “He’s not my … uh, teacher, or whatever! What makes him think that he can tell me what to do? What an asshole! Fuck him! That’s fucking ridiculous! Am I wrong?” “No, of course not!” “No, I’m not fucking wrong, fuck him, that asshole, how dare he talk to me that way?”

Finally at this point I am seeing red. I can’t hear the music anymore and I just can’t take it. Finally, during a quiet bit, I turn to the woman and say, “You know, I really don’t mean to be rude, but you guys are talking really loudly, and I paid to see this concert. It would be nice if you could keep it down.”

The woman, of course, turns on me and starts flipping out. “This isn’t a concert! This is a bar! The House of Blues is a bar! I can talk at a bar! I can talk if I fucking want to, anyway! This is a free country! You can’t tell me what to do.”

I probably could have said something a little more factual – like, I typically don’t pay Ticketmaster $40 to get into a bar – but I’m trembling with anger at this point and I just don’t care anymore. “You know what? That’s fine, talk if you fucking want to,” I say, and then turn to face her, “you drunken whore.”

About twenty seconds pass and they don’t say anything. My companion at this point is looking over with concern. I fully expect a violent response, but I just don’t care anymore. The guy starts turning around at me and the woman says, “No, let’s just leave it alone. Let’s not.” Yeah, I guess you’re the bigger person, or whatever. Fucking bitch. I was all ready, too, if he tried to hassle me about it being a free country, to say, “You know, those guys up there are performing for us and they deserve respect. I don’t come to the street corner where your girlfriend is and hassle her.” It’s just burning in my throat, and while I know I will probably suffer for saying it, I want to so very badly. I’m surprised, though, that they backed down.

After about a song, the couple leaves (the rest of the drunken idiots at their table stay). I feel rather edified, but I’m mad enough not to be able to enjoy the concert, because other people (albeit not as close) are still having loud conversations. Heck, two guys have come up to our table while I was messing with Drunk Slobbering Bitch and have started a loud conversation about how they have never heard any of the music before and how weird it is. I’ve missed several of my favorite songs entirely during the episode.

We stay for about two or three more songs. My companion asks if I want to stay, and I say sure, because I know he’s a big fan of the music and I don’t want to ruin him. I can be mad there, or in the car, it doesn’t matter. After a minute or two, he says into my ear, “You know, I’m not enjoying this any more.” That’s all I need to hear. “Let’s go,” I answer.

As we walk out, I notice that the crowd has thinned significantly anyway. We surrender our stools to a grateful looking young man, pay our $20 in parking, and leave the House of Blues forever. As we walk through, I notice how everyplace seems to be just as loud with the talking. I didn’t just accidentally sit in the drunken retard section. I must imagine that the band can hear the shouting and carrying on, especially during the quiet numbers, and I’m embarassed for them.

So, to summarize, fuck you, House of Blues. Fuck you for screwing us out of having a good dinner at a good restaurant and fooling us out of our money. Fuck you for screwing your customers in every way possible by having the least patron-friendly venue ever. Fuck you for not giving me just a little place to be, while I enjoy the music and the show, and can see what’s going on without standing up for five hours straight. Fuck you for hassling the old ladies in the line and carding 60 year old men. Fuck your idiot boorish customers who apparently don’t mind throwing their money away in order to ruin the experience of others. Fuck you for destroying an excellent act. Fuck your security staff who are intensely concerned with defending the $40 stools that obstructed the whole rest of the balcony section, but not at all concerned with people screaming over the words constantly. Fuck your crappy restaurant with no vegetarian entree and fuck your tacked on corporate fake-folksy decor. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, and may anyone associated with this establishment be forced to sit next to all the drunken idiots that patronize your venue for eternity while they make stupid editorial comments to the demons that are sodomizing you. Fuck you for spamming my e-mail with your newsletter three times a week, even though I unchecked the box that said I wanted to be contact by ANYONE associated with TicketMaster, and never stopping no matter how much I plead. Fuck you for existing and wasting what have could have been a day where I could have done something I enjoyed more, like cleaning toilets with my fucking tongue.

WoW! I’m so sorry and sad to hear your story!

Honestly, thanks for the heads-up on House of Blues; we never went while living in Chicagoland, and now know better than to even try it.

My sister performs with improv groups in the small theatre district - she complains that whenever they ask for audience participation, the (local? tourist?) wits scream out the same “clever” obscenities, night after night, because of course no one’s ever heard “penis” before. What is the matter with these people?

Sorry for your experience. But I live in the L.A. area, and when I attend a concert at House of Blues Anaheim or Sunset Strip, I fully expect to be IN THE PIT anywhere I’m standing – unless I’m actually outside on the smoker’s balcony watching the concert from the video screens. I guess it depends on the band’s genre and what type of fans they attract (needless to say, the “Flogging Molly” crowd is NOT a docile bunch). But it sounds like your band was not that kind of music, and it sucks that all the flaming assholes decided to go see whatever show was at the venue that night.

FWIW, the HoB shows I’ve seen here were never over $20. Again, I guess it depends on the band.

9 for the rant!

Well… it is the House of Blues.

So, how’re YOU doin’?

:::d&r:::

Wow, oh wow. I’m a major Genesis fan and I would have been so annoyed if I was there. I was actually hoping they would have made it down here.

I wouldn’t have been too upset if people started a bit of singing during The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or In the Cage. But, just talking? I can’t imagine people paying that kind of money and realize they they’re not just going to see a bar band.

What did the crowd expect? Invisble touch?

I think you were wrong to call that woman a drunken whore. The drunken whores I know are much more polite at concerts.

Well, to be fair, as far as my experience has gone (about 13 years of concert going), “General Admission” means “Standing Room Only”. I’ve been to shows in Chicago, the Quad Cities, Des Moines, Tulsa, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh and it’s been that way at every General Admission show I’ve ever been to. Granted, I’m sure the show you attended is more of a “show” than most I have attended so expectations may be different for such a presentation.

And while the House of Blues is rarely my preferred choice for shows in Chicago, the last couple I’ve seen there have been great. I saw VNV Nation there in June - the sound was fantastic, the lights were great, the video projections were clear, and the crowd was enthusiastic and excited. Unfortunately, the further back you go in the venue, the more likely that you’ll run into the “this is a bar” attendees and various travelling businesspeople who just came for a drink. In a couple of the shows I’ve seen there, I have also run into these people - that’s the downside of having the show at a venue that is so well-known.

Also, I can’t really remember (as I was right up against the stage), but isn’t there a slightly elevated portion near the back of the floor section with booths there?

When I’ve been to HOB (in LA and New Orleans), they had a few tables with stools around the edge of the main floor.

If those weren’t there, however, I don’t blame you for being pissed. I probably would have been pissed enough to demand my money back since you paid to go to a show that (a) you couldn’t see and (b) you couldn’t hear. Kinda negates the whole point of going.

I have been to the House Of Blues in both LA and here in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay.

I think you ran into a problem because, despite what they advertise, the House Of Blues is really more of a bar with a cover charge than a concert venue. In other words, a lot of people really do pay $40 just to go drink over-priced booze with what they consider to be nothing more than loud background music.

You could have Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison come back from the grave for a one-time concert and those same drunks would be yelling to each other, “…and so I told the boss fuck the Harrison report, we have to re-factor the debit ratio…”

The only way to avoid that is to really stand down front, but even that is no guarantee.

I feel your pain, I really do. Concert kibitzers are one of my all-time pet peeves! I think that a lot of people go to concerts these days * just to have something to do*, rather than hear and see an artist perform. I was at a show recently where the susurrus of peope chatting was so loud that the music was more like musak…just a background sound.

Once in awhile, the artist will address the issue…like Pete Townshend did at a concert in Long Beach:
“…Just sit down or stand up or lay down or do something but SHUT UP!! This is a fking rock and roll concert, not a fking tea party!”

Corporate concvert halls are always going to be a miserable experience; from the absurd and obscene ticketmaster charges to the type of patrons you described, you had to know what you were getting into. I don’t think I’ve been to a place like this in four or five years - which really comes from being into musical artists that value playing at venues that don’t practice predatory “service” charges, parking fees, drink prices, reserving premium seating for corporate donors, and so on.

Huh - I wouldn’t have expected it. I thought House of Blues was supposed to legitimately support music. And for $40 tix (plus parking, etc), you’d think they’d care about their customers.

If I knew what I was going to be in for, I wouldn’t have gone. I certainly had no way of predicting the patrons, as we had no such problems when we last saw The Musical Box in Chicago.

Actually, my companion has seen the same group many other times (6?) and he’s never had any sort of problems like this. Sure, we’ve paid the stupid service charges in order to deal with Ticketmaster – we’re not locals, and can’t just go to the box office – but never have either of us been in a venue which went so far out of its way to screw its patrons.

To a certain extent, I can understand some of it, but the HOB went out of their way to make the entire thing as unpleasant as possible. I’ll be writing to the band to see if they can use the other venue the next time they go to Chicago, because otherwise I sure as hell will not be going again.

God, that’s infuriating. I could feel myself flush just reading about Drunken Whore, and how her asshole friends made the whole thing your fault. So soory your music was ruined.

I had a somewhat similar experience a few years back, which I’ve posted about once. I’ll just C&P.

Great word, by the way.

Iv’e been to a lot of shows in large concert bars, and there’s usually a general agreement that if you want to talk you move as far back as you can. This not only makes the other patrons enjoy the experience more, but allows you to be able to converse more freely.

I’m sorry you had such a shitty experience, but THANK YOU for letting me know this band exists. I am so going to see them when they’re in my neck of the woods-ish. I love The Lamb, and would love to see a concert (one of my dreams is to put on a musical theatre version of The Lamb, in the same tradition as Tommy).

fluiddruid,
So sorry you had that experience, muy suckamundo. House of Blues should really be more proactive with concerts like this; the audience is going to be expecting to be able to listen to that sort of concert, with high production values and continuity of songs. HOB should provide the right atmosphere, or stick to bar bands.

I’m sadly shaking my ol’ noggin abit, here, remembering how when House O Blues first started, they tried so hard to capture the essence of a vital juke joint culture, copying their decor from the Delta photos of Birney Imes, down to the spray-painted polka dots on the roof. In their press releases, they touted their “lifestyle marketing appeal”. It was supposed to be a tribute to Blues culture, and, to be fair, the original owner, Isaac Tigrett, who also started Hard Rock Cafe, did have a true interest in creating a decent venue for music appreciation. He has since exited the company, to put it mildly.

House of Blues, like Hard Rock Cafe, were good ideas at first, a way to bring music to the masses based on the beauty of homegrown clubs. But they fail now, with success, they’ve become sterile corporate bars. In a juke joint HOB is based on, the owner could come and tell the loudmouth to Shut the F’Up.( Umm, course it’s not likely that particular show would be at a juke joint…)

fluiddruid, you really should voice this to the band, so they can determine if they want to do that venue. Copy it to HOB as well, because they need to get their act together in having that sort of act under their conditions. You paid a premium price, and deserve a decent concert. Who knows what the band dealt with at setup? From your description, they probably were unhappy with it as well. Speak up, Hon, it matters!

Hmm, I will. Interestingly enough, we saw Steve Hackett himself only a few weeks back, up in a bar venue in Minneapolis. He absolutely flipped out (after being nice and asking people to shut up first) at the audience because there was one person talking in the front row, and another guy on his cell phone. Sure, they distracted me, but nowhere to the level of the HOB group. That probably only added to my discomfort about the situation at the HOB because there was no way that the band couldn’t notice what was going on. I did write the venue in that case because the people who were talking were right by the host station, and the management did nothing; in addition, the staff were being extremely loud for the remainder of the show.

Yeah, that would be great! Don’t let this experience discourage you from going, because, as I’ve mentioned, my friends have seen this band many other times and have never had an experience like this. It’s truly awesome.

I’m sorry to hear about your concert experience, fluiddruid . Although I’ve never seen a concert at the House of Blues, I have seen The Musical Box 7 times now, doing not only the Lamb show, but SEBTP & Nursery Cryme tours. While I agree that the HOB totally fucked you over by setting aside reserved seating for preferred customers, I can report that at other venues I have sadly had the same experience with crowd reaction to TMB.

When I’ve seen the band perform in Montreal or Toronto, I have found that the crowd for the most part sat quiet & attentive (especially during Supper’s Ready). In Montreal, the main bar is at the back of the theatre, and if you were seated next to the bar, you had the normal chatter of barflys interrupting the concert experiencing. Most of the time they were “shushed” if the level became too loud.

I’ve also seen the band in Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester. Last October, when TMB played the Lamb in Syracuse, it was my estimate that 1/2 the crowd were into the band (i.e., sat quietly & attentive) while the other half were there because it was something to do that night in Syracuse. They only held a casual interest in the band. It was much worse in Buffalo, and TMB’s lead singer was visibly annoyed with the chatter. (I attribute this to a local radio station giving away free tickets to the concert to people who didn’t know what it was all about.)

I’m not trying to turn this into a US/Canadian thing, it’s just something that I’ve personally observed. BTW, the concert I went to in Rochester was great, and I had no problems with crowd noise/chatter. I’m going to see them again in Syracuse on 12/1 & in Boston on 12/15, and if anyone else is intersted in the band, you can find out more info here:

The Musical Box