The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-21-2005, 11:58 PM

Songs with BIG tribal sounding drums

A few months ago I went with a friend to a local stadium where high school marching bands from around the country were competeing. I was right on the field and up close to the bands and was generally impressed by all of them. I can appreciate the time and effort that went into perfecting their performances.

One part of the competition had a smaller group of each band perform facing the audience without having to do any marching or movements at all. Several of the bands brought in these huge drums for certain parts of their performance. These dang things moved some air! Each band did some song that was heavy on percussion and at some point used these large drums. Guys were literally beating these things as hard as they could with small bats! The style was very tribal, almost agressive and war-like, but very crowd pleasing.

The effect of these drums and the songs they did was overwhelming. The songs were definitely a "drum" type of song using all the various drums, but highlighting these large ones. The songs were great!

Can anyone recommend songs that are primarily these types of drum songs and feature these impressive large drums?
Advertisements  
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 AM

Google for "taiko" and I'm sure you'll get plenty of hits.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 AM

Tusk by Fleetwood Mac uses a high school marching band with a big drum sound.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 AM

Dunno how big the drums were, but Echo and the Bunnymen's song "All My Colours" (aka "Zimbo") had the tribal drum sound going. It's a good song, too.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:18 AM

"The Rhythm of the Heat" by Peter Gabriel (from Security) has a very powerful ending with tribal drums.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:50 AM

"The Jungle Line" by Joni Mitchell off her "Hissing of Summer Lawns" album is exactly like this.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:54 AM

Were they timpanis?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:23 AM

"Planet Drum" has one or two moments like that.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger
Can anyone recommend songs that are primarily these types of drum songs and feature these impressive large drums?
I think you would enjoy Stomp Out Loud - it doesn't actually use any real drums (it's all junk items like oil drums and buckets), but a couple of the big numbers have a real 'tribal' feel to them. It's also worth watching purely for the skill of the players.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Also, the Blue Man Group DVD of The Complex Rock Tour Live is very much a feast of percussion and features a massive drum mounted on shock absorbers; it is played with an enormous stick the size of a sledgehammer (it is also played in much the same way as one might use such an implement).
Old 11-22-2005, 07:48 AM

The live version of "Yulunga (Spirit Dance)" by Dead Can Dance has some nice tribal sounding percussion and there is a nice percussive section in the live version of "Oman", as well. I also like the studio version of "Nierika" for that feel, as well.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imasquare
Tusk by Fleetwood Mac uses a high school marching band with a big drum sound.
That's the first thing that came to my mind.

There is somthing subtle and powerful about that song. It's always been one of my favs.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Peter Gabriel's Security has already been mentioned - lots of HUGE drum sounds on that one; my fave is "Lay Your Hands on Me"

There was a hit in the 80's by a band - Pigbeat? Big Pig? I think that's it - Big Pig. The song was called Getaway or something. Lots of big drums...
Old 11-22-2005, 08:12 AM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

An oft-posted-about and personal favorite, Huron 'Beltane' Firedance by Loreena McKennitt, on her Parallel Dreams album.

There's also a phenominal drumming solo that closes out the live version of Good Things by the BoDeans that can be found on their 2 disk offering Joe Dirt Car.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:27 AM
ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies is offline

How could I forget Enya's Storms in Africa (parts I and II) on her Watermark album, as well as on her "best of" disk, Paint The Sky With Stars and her Only Time collection.

Speaking of Enya, she has a new cd out this week...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:49 PM

taiko is fantastic.

kodo is one of the top groups. there are quite a few american groups as well. nyc's group is very good as well as san jose's.

there is a car commercial that has a taiko group in it. they are wearing bright red dresses. i'm fairly sure it is a mitsubishi commercial.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chair
taiko is fantastic.

kodo is one of the top groups.
Kodo is excellent, I saw them for my 20th birthday in Royce Hall. It was awesome, in the strict meaning of the word.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Sepultura's Roots is a fantastic album that features lots of tribal drumming.

Nothing beats grinding death metal with tribal drumming recorded in the Brazilian jungle by actual tribes!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:26 PM
BANNED

The Last Beat of my Heart by Siouxsie and the Banshees has a nice drum bit at the front.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan
There was a hit in the 80's by a band - Pigbeat? Big Pig? I think that's it - Big Pig. The song was called Getaway or something. Lots of big drums...
PigBag?

Early Adam and the Ants had a big drum sound (2 full drum kits).
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 AM

Quote:
I think you're thinking of "I Can't Break Away" by Big Pig. Three drummers in the band, if I'm not mistaken. Good song, though that was the only good song on their album, Bonk.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:27 AM

Well WordMan and J.Gelert have already said it, but I opened the thread to post the following, and by heck I still am: "any song by the band Big Pig".
Old 11-23-2005, 06:59 AM

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk featured the USC Trojans Marching Band (and not a high school band as listed above). They also got the USC Trojans to come onstage with them when they recorded their live album The Dance in 1998. The last two songs of the album are Tusk and Don't Stop, and the USC band provides excellent backup on each.

Another great song worth mentioning is Paul Simon's The Obvious Child, which features a driving deep-throated drum beat throughout, and a massive drum breakdown in the middle that's phenomenal.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:27 AM

The Lunatics have Taken Over the Asylum.

By the Fun Boy Three.

It's not a very good song.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:43 AM

While those big drums were probably Japanese in origin, and nothing else sounds quite as fierce, I can't pass up an opportunity to pimp one of my favorite drum-heavy bands, Afrocelt (aka "Afrocelt Sound System") Their sound is more tribal, world-music fusion, with lots of hand drums and African rhythms mixed with celtic instruments and synthesizers (and somehow it all works together), and it has a crazy exhilarance to it that actually works on recorded media. Too often, drums sound amazing in person, but flat and dull when recorded. ACSS has gotten past that, and listening to an album is almost as exciting as being there. (Great long-distance driving music.)
Old 11-23-2005, 08:39 AM

I'd offer up anything that Mickey Hart (drummer for the Grateful Dead) has recorded.
He's collected tribal recordings from around the world and released them on CD.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:44 AM

Yeah, I love the deep-pitched drums that make your interrnal organs vibrate myself.

Off the top of my head, there's Ecstacy, from Rusted Root's album When I Woke.

Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints uses percussionists from Brazil and Africa, and as I recall he toured with a 5-man percussion section, along with a line of tribal drummers.

Industrial bands like Ministry and Grotus used deep-pitched percussion to great effect to awaken the primordial groove in their audiences.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth
"Planet Drum" has one or two moments like that.
Second vote here for Mickey Hart. On preview, make that a third.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Eater
Nothing beats grinding death metal with tribal drumming recorded in the Brazilian jungle by actual tribes!
Give me a nice "samba de enredo" any day of the year. I much prefer it to Sepultura (which means "sepulchre" or "tomb" in Portuguese. Great name for a Death metal band IMHO.)

"Sambas de enredo" are the sambas played by the various samba schools as they parade down the Sambadrome in Rio. Nothing beats a couple of hunred people forming the "bateria" (percussion group) and a couple of thousand people forming the choir.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Eater
Give me a nice "samba de enredo" any day of the year. I much prefer it to Sepultura (which means "sepulchre" or "tomb" in Portuguese. Great name for a Death metal band IMHO.)

"Sambas de enredo" are the sambas played by the various samba schools as they parade down the Sambadrome in Rio. Nothing beats a couple of hunred people forming the "bateria" (percussion group) and a couple of thousand people forming the choir.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:12 AM

As mentioned above (so I'm seconding or thirding or whatever), Afrocelt Sound System and Mickey Hart are both really good. Also check out anything by the Dhol Drum Foundation, a group of 10 or so Middle Eastern drummers. Some really crazy stuff.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:13 AM

Oops. sorry about the double post.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:22 PM

Not really a "song", but you might be interested in checking out the movie "Drumline". 95% of the movie is pretty lame. But the last 15 or so minutes covering the "BET Classic" competition down to the "drum off" finale is a lot of fun. I would love to see a competition like the one depicted.

One song that comes to mind is off Phil Collins' "Face Value" album called "Hand in Hand" ("In the Air Tonight" also has the big drum section as well).
Old 11-23-2005, 02:08 PM

How about "VooDoo" by Godsmack?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

The folks in Haiti tend to know a little something about drumming -- check out Boukman Eksperyans -- this album is a good place to start.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot
While those big drums were probably Japanese in origin, and nothing else sounds quite as fierce, I can't pass up an opportunity to pimp one of my favorite drum-heavy bands, Afrocelt (aka "Afrocelt Sound System") Their sound is more tribal, world-music fusion, with lots of hand drums and African rhythms mixed with celtic instruments and synthesizers (and somehow it all works together), and it has a crazy exhilarance to it that actually works on recorded media.
They had a bit of a radio hit with Peter Gabriel singing with them. The song was called "When You're Falling." Gabriel's a big fan of the world music sound, and Talking Heads and Paul Simon also incorporated that sound into their music.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:10 AM

Olatungi!

In particular, Akiwowo.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Rat
How about "VooDoo" by Godsmack?
Good choice, I was scrolling down to see if anyone mentioned that one yet. Great drum sound in that one.