The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 11-23-2005, 02:43 PM

The 2-man luge---what were they thinking?

I'm flipping channels , and I suddenly see two guys trying not to have sex with each other .
Oh, sorry, that's a SPORT!

HUH?
Who invented this, and what was he smokin'?

Sure, I was a kid once, and loved sledding down snowbanks. But I did it facing forwards. It just seems more logical that way, you know.
And I might even have done it with a friend, too. But we were kids, ya know what I mean.
Because somewhere in my life, I was subtly and gradually introduced to the concept that grown men don't lie down on top of each other in public.

If you want to make a suicidal run down a bobsled chute , but without a bobsled, okay, I'll let you call it a sport. But why do it with two guys on top of each other?
Why not three? Or a whole stack-- a dozen guys, all roped together?
Advertisements  
Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 PM

Just because you think it's homoerotic doesn't mean it is.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM

Would it be better if it was a man & a woman, like ice dancing, only with helmets?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula
Because somewhere in my life, I was subtly and gradually introduced to the concept that grown men don't lie down on top of each other in public.
Clearly, you've been hanging out in entirely the wrong places.

I'm more terrified by the concept of sledding on a sheet of thin ice and snow lying down--gyaaaaaaaah. *runs away and hides with her nice, safe toboggan*
Old 11-23-2005, 03:28 PM

I imagine they were thinking, "Crap, if we'd have just made the thing a couple inches longer, it could have been a three-man luge."

El_Kabong
Old 11-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Honest question. What does the second person even do? Are they there just for weight or a little extra umph at the beginning?

They could sixty-nine down the track for all I care - as long as there is a reason for the second person to be there...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:36 PM

This will explain all the particulars of luge:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/amateur/tor...mers/luge.html
Old 11-23-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist
Would it be better if it was a man & a woman, like ice dancing, only with helmets?
During the 2002 Olympics, a bunch of my classmates were out drinking and started making the predictable jokes about two-man luge. One guy from my lab, who was particularly drunk, appeared to be under the impression that it was actually a coed event, and started going on about what a great idea it was. This conversation ended with him loudly announcing "It doesn't matter if you're on the top or on the bottom. It's a win-win situation!"

By the time I graduated some 18 months later, he hadn't yet lived that one down, and the phrase "win-win situation" still has the power to crack me up.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:32 PM

Somehow I don't think you're going to pop a chubby screaming down a twisting icy tube at 60 MPH.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

They were hoping to increase the body count.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:47 PM

Seriously, the reason there is no two women luge is that the woman on top would just slide off without a lynchpin to hold her in place.

Seriously.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro
Somehow I don't think you're going to pop a chubby screaming down a twisting icy tube at 60 MPH.

Apparently you've never heard of "the eskimo pie."
Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Doubles luge gives second row rugby forwards and North American football quarterbacks something to look forward to in the off season.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:23 PM

Next to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, doubles luge looks about as homoerotic as a bowl of cold oatmeal.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:53 PM

Dude, while I appreciate a good immature giggle as much as the next guy, I think the folks doing the 2-man luge will be too busy trying not to die a horrible death to try anything funny.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm
Are they there just for weight or a little extra umph
That's what the OP suspects!
Old 11-24-2005, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharpmajor
Dude, while I appreciate a good immature giggle as much as the next guy, I think the folks doing the 2-man luge will be too busy trying not to die a horrible death to try anything funny.
okay, I appologize for the immature humor. I was trying to be funny, and sexual innuendo is good for cheap laughs. And you gotta admit that is a silly sport.

But what I really want to know is - why the hell did anybody invent the 2 man luge?
Who was the first guy who said "hey, this is so much fun, I bet it would be better with somebody else underneath me?" And if your gonna do it with 2, why not with 3 or 4 people? For that matter, why not just do it sitting upright, and go down on your butt (like a water slide at a swimming pool).

Reminds me of a joke during the winter olympics (by Jay Leno):
"Look at that 4-man bobsled competition. The front guy steers, the guy in the back operates the brakes.So tell me-- what are those 2 guys in the middle doing? But imagine them on the airplane flying to the Olympic site--a 12 hour flight. They must be saying "Wow, this is great--- Look at all this legroom!!!!!"
Old 11-24-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
okay, I appologize for the immature humor. I was trying to be funny, and sexual innuendo is good for cheap laughs. And you gotta admit that is a silly sport.

But what I really want to know is - why the hell did anybody invent the 2 man luge?
Who was the first guy who said "hey, this is so much fun, I bet it would be better with somebody else underneath me?" And if your gonna do it with 2, why not with 3 or 4 people? For that matter, why not just do it sitting upright, and go down on your butt (like a water slide at a swimming pool).

Reminds me of a joke during the winter olympics (by Jay Leno):
"Look at that 4-man bobsled competition. The front guy steers, the guy in the back operates the brakes.So tell me-- what are those 2 guys in the middle doing? But imagine them on the airplane flying to the Olympic site--a 12 hour flight. They must be saying "Wow, this is great--- Look at all this legroom!!!!!"
Hee hee hee. I suspect they're there for the same reason most things in winter sports are there - for no apparent reason whatsoever. I mean, look at the *other* sports at the Winter Olympics - curling. Biathlon. Skeleton. What is the reasoning behind these sports? NOBODY KNOWS. Curling and biathlon are spectacularly pointless (which makes them strangely fascinating to watch) and skeleton is just plain suicidal. Think luge, but head-first. Then again if you're going 130km/h it probably doesn't matter which end points forward when you crash.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:52 PM

Oh, and there does not appear to be a 2-man skeleton, which would look even more, uh, questionable than the 2-man luge. Heh heh.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:02 AM

Ok, can someone post a picture of this? I am having problems visualizing what could be SO horrible about two men in a luge.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:25 AM

Biathlon isn't totally pointless -- it derives from [url=http://www.biathlon.net/intro.htmlhunting and winter warfare[/url]. If you think about it, running a physical race and then having to stop and do something requiring exactitude and precision is a real challenge.

But two-man luge? I got nothin'.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Well, phooey. Fixed link:

Getting it right this time
Old 11-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticbear
Ok, can someone post a picture of this? I am having problems visualizing what could be SO horrible about two men in a luge.
Picture
Old 11-25-2005, 01:12 PM

But they're just laying on top of each other. ::shrug::
Old 11-28-2005, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunctator

Eek! It looks like a Royal Marines training exercise!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I'm more disturbed by the lycra. I can't even call that homoerotic because most gay people I know wouldn't be caught dead in that either.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:56 AM

You guys don't watch enough Robin Williams stand up. He already covered this:

[Robin Williams]
What drunk german gynocologist came up with luge?
[german accent]
Ya! I want to stick an ice skate up my ass and go balls first down an ice chute! Ya! That sounds like fun!
[/ga]
...and don't even get me started on the two man luge. Boys get a room is all I'm sayin'...
[/RW]

From "Live on Broadway," I believe.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 AM

Seriously, why a 2-man luge?

What's next? 2-man ski jump and speed skating with only one pair of skis or skates, the other guy just goes piggy-back?

(Actually, I might want to see either of those)
Old 11-28-2005, 03:11 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Three-legged speed skating. Imagine the possibilities.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 PM

Hmmm, some cold dude laying motionless on top of you while you sled near out of control down a large, icy Crazy Straw... it's like if necrophiliacs hosted the X-Games.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I dunno, but I got a whole list of people, who, if I ever meet them, are going to get a swift kick to the crotch. If you want, I'll slip the 2-man luge inventer in there between the guy that originally thought that small car parking spaces were a good idea, and the guy that designed my vacuum cleaner.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:55 PM

I have two theories.

Theory number one

The two many luge was invented by the first guy to do the one man luge and realized that he was both freezing and there was no padding to cushion a crash. A guy laying on top of him would fix both of those problems.

Theory number two

The two man luge was invented by a gay man who liked the idea of really in shape guys in spandex laying on each other.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter's Canary
Eek! It looks like a Royal Marines training exercise!

What in Og's name do England's marines do that require neon yellow one-piece spandex suits?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaChick

What in Og's name do England's marines do that require neon yellow one-piece spandex suits?
And do we really want to know?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:28 PM

I too would like to know what advantge/purpose the 2 man luge has along w/ those 2 extra bobsleaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharpmajor
Hee hee hee. I suspect they're there for the same reason most things in winter sports are there - for no apparent reason whatsoever. I mean, look at the *other* sports at the Winter Olympics - curling. Biathlon.
Biathlon pointless?!?!, only to a modern day liberal, this is most likely the game that is most in line w/ the orginal Olympic games, an event that is very closely related to warfare.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaChick

Well, most of the time they don't bother with the spandex. Or any clothing at all:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117....html?from=rss

(Don't worry, it's worksafe. No naked marines pictured)
Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter's Canary
(Don't worry, it's worksafe. No naked marines pictured)
You disappoint me.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:37 PM

I'm bumpin' this thread, 'cause it's relevant, what with the the Winter Olympics going on right now.

Besides, I still want to know who thought up the idea of adding a second guy to the luge. It's a silly enough sport to begin with--but why 2 at a time?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Did you see Roker and Lauer do the 2 man luge last week? Laffs all around...

Invariably, the Tonight Show last night played a clip of it, overdubbed with appropriate music, and interspersed with the too-easy joke title "Brokeback Mornings."

http://www.gawker.com/news/al-roker/index.php
Old 02-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird
Biathlon pointless?!?!, only to a modern day liberal, this is most likely the game that is most in line w/ the orginal Olympic games, an event that is very closely related to warfare.

Biathlon is not pointless, but it is pretty crazy when you step back. I know it evolved from military stuff at the beginning of last century, but then you step back and it's skiing a shooting a gun.

Imagine an Olympic sport where you swim 400 meters with a waterproof bag, then you have to jump out of the pool, open the bag, pull out and assemble a gun, then fire at a target. Not pointless, but hella weird.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
The guy in back is thinkin' "I wonder what shampoo he uses?"

Teh guy in front is thinkin' "we're gonna die! we're gonna die! we're gonna die!"
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm
Honest question. What does the second person even do? Are they there just for weight or a little extra umph at the beginning?
Somebody's got to yell "wheeeeeee...."
Old 02-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

<Beatles>
I'm a...

Luger
I'm a lu-u-u-ger
And I've luged someone who's dear to me
</Beatles>

Or should that be "I've lubed someone who's dear to me"...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I'm bumpin' this thread, 'cause it's relevant, what with the the Winter Olympics going on right now.

Besides, I still want to know who thought up the idea of adding a second guy to the luge. It's a silly enough sport to begin with--but why 2 at a time?
It's another chance for countries that are good at luge to win a medal.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla
Seriously, the reason there is no two women luge is that the woman on top would just slide off without a lynchpin to hold her in place.

Seriously.
Single men's luge = 1 man
Single women's luge = 1 woman
Doubles luge = 2 people, regardless of gender

It happens that no doubles team at the Olympics has a female on it, but this has nothing to do with any regulation.

Take a look at the start, which is so tremendously important. Upper body gorilla strength is what it takes. Males tend to have greater upper body strength than females. One male will tend to exert more force than one female, and two males will tend to exert more force than one male.

Take a look at running down the course, where inertia helps defeat irregularities in the course surface, and where weight on the runners turns turns ice into water for sliding. With both of these, weight helps. One male will tend to weigh more force than one female, and two males will tend to weigh more than one male.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire
Seriously, why a 2-man luge?

What's next? 2-man ski jump
Ski Jump Pairs. Cover image from the official DVD.

Ok, so it's all CG. It's still actually pretty funny.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup

Biathlon is not pointless, but it is pretty crazy when you step back. I know it evolved from military stuff at the beginning of last century, but then you step back and it's skiing a shooting a gun.
..which is still a major part of military training in the snowy bits of Europe. Not surprisingly, those are the countries that are good at it.

For those of us who love the sport, its appeal is unique. The stamina and strategy of cross-country skiing, combined with an element of uncertainty since one bad shot can completely rearrange the standings. Plus, hey, guys in tight spandex.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist
What, you would bar the uncircumsized?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:24 AM

You have to wonder - what makes someone say "I want to become a world class luger" in the first place... who dreams of this when they are young and sets off on this path? And then, who says "Screw the glory - I'll be lonely if it's just me. I'll go for the doubles!"
Old 02-21-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Imagine an Olympic sport where you swim 400 meters with a waterproof bag, then you have to jump out of the pool, open the bag, pull out and assemble a gun, then fire at a target. Not pointless, but hella weird.
That would be a pretty good mirror of actual skills navy SEALs use, which means it does have a point, which would put it way above the vast majority of most sports.