Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 PM

The most creative animated TV series of all time?

Since it's beginning 6,7 years ago I've watched the Cartoon Network series Adventure Time (when I remember that it's on) as often as I can. Everytime that I do remember that it's on, I always enjoy it and usually think, damn, this show is amazing.

I happen to remember that they were running a brand new eight part series this week called "The Islands". As I watch them I'm constantly thinking, this series is just SO CREATIVE.

Usually when watching a series, especially an animated one, you can see similarities to other shows. Characters or story lines that remind you of this show or that, but Adventure Time is just so original. They're constantly coming up with characters, settings, creatures, the likes of which I've never seen before (and goodness knows I've seen a TON of shows in my life)

Does anyone else here have a similar opinion of this show or am I just over-rating it?
Advertisements  
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Adventure time is, in fact, awesome. No doubt about it.

Also love:
Rick and Morty
Metalocalypse RIP
aaaaand just made myself sad and i forgot what else I was going to say.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:48 PM

When I first saw Ren & Stimpy way back in the 90's, I was blown away. I could not believe that they came up with all of the crazy s%&t on that show, so that's my vote. (I love Adventure Time, also)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Metalocalypse RIP
Gonna have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but they are all pretty much the same. Very much like Super Jail, a problem comes along, crazy stuff happens, then everybody gets killed. Every single episode. You gotta love Dr. Rockso, though!

It's all pretty much toilet humor, but Robot Chicken is pretty damn creative. Or maybe it's the cold medicine.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Gonna have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but they are all pretty much the same. Very much like Super Jail, a problem comes along, crazy stuff happens, then everybody gets killed. Every single episode. You gotta love Dr. Rockso, though!

It's all pretty much toilet humor, but Robot Chicken is pretty damn creative. Or maybe it's the cold medicine.
The first two seasons, sure. But the third and especially 4th started to get deep. And Doomstar Requiem is The Best Thing Ever Broadcast.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 PM

MTV's "Liquid Television" was a weekly compendium of what were then (ca. 1990) the most creative animations. It introduced things like Aeon Flux and Beavis/Butthead, and some classic one-offs like Black Hula.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-01-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 PM

The answer is Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I mean, get your head around this concept. In one episode, Meatwad writes a fanfic comic about his heroes, Jet Chicken and Rocket Horse having an "adventure". But the adventure consists of Meatwad going to meet them down at a car dealership where they have a gig at a signing booth. So they are real characters, that can fly like superheros, signing for fans at a (empty) car dealership. Anyway, Meatwat ends up killing Jet Chicken in a botched tummy tuck surgery that Jet Chicken forces him to do. In Meatwad's fanfic!??

Last edited by Isamu; 02-01-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Off the Air, also on Adult Swim is pretty much just for creatively exploring video, animation and music. I can watch it over and over again. Each episode is centered around a theme, and it's always visually awesome.

Liquid
Hair
Dance
Old 02-02-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Rocky and Bullwinkle. Few have even approached the quality of the writing.
George of the Jungle was even better.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 AM

Most creative? It's got to be the Simpsons. They pretty much did everything first, within the restrictions of prime-time network TV. By now, it may not seem hip to mention the Simpsons because it's so mainstream, but it only got that way by being groundbreaking at the beginning.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:17 AM

Clutch Cargo. Hands down.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Off the Air, also on Adult Swim is pretty much just for creatively exploring video, animation and music. I can watch it over and over again. Each episode is centered around a theme, and it's always visually awesome.

Liquid
Hair
Dance
Is some kind of a passcode required to view the video? I get only the audio and black screen, but there is video that I can see in thumbnail in the timer bar.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-02-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

LOVE Adventure Time!

Especially loved the back story episodes where they talk about the Ice King and how the Earth was transformed into the land of Ooo.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is some kind of a passcode required to view the video? I get only the audio and black screen, but there is video that I can see in thumbnail in the timer bar.
No, I don't think so. I can view them even when logged out of YouTube. However, it does seem to be trying to place an ad on the screen (but NoScript is preventing that from running for me).
Old 02-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Clutch Cargo. Hands down.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Most creative? It's got to be the Simpsons. They pretty much did everything first, within the restrictions of prime-time network TV. By now, it may not seem hip to mention the Simpsons because it's so mainstream, but it only got that way by being groundbreaking at the beginning.
I'm a big fan of Adventure Time and Aqua Teen Hunger Force (with a shoutout to Steven Universe) and I agree with this. I still watch and enjoy The Simpsons and they are still making me laugh every week. Their shows are still very rich, too.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:34 PM

I nominate Futurama. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:46 PM

I haven't seen every show mentioned here, but in terms of sheer visual inventiveness, I doubt few could compete with Samurai Jack.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Kim Possible--wit & character development.

Cowboy Bebop--soundtrack.
~~Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-03-2017, 11:05 PM

Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:43 AM

Paranoia Agent probably gets in the top 50, at least.

(Although including anime in the running might be cheating, a bit. Even if you exclude the ones showcasing parody/referential elements.)

Last edited by Ranchoth; 02-04-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:33 AM

No love for the Venture Brothers? C'mon, that is one stellar series
Old 02-04-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
That was going to be my nomination, alongside South Park.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:53 AM

One more vote for Rocky and Bullwinkle. And get the DVDs, it's amazing how much a 10 year-old missed the first time around that a 60-something year old can catch with a re-watch.

Animaniacs, especially the songs.

Probably an Unpopular Opinion, but Cow And Chicken was a HOOT. The Red Guy has to be one of the most brilliant characters ever. And I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks Cow's voice was funny. So sue me.

Last edited by HyacinthBucket; 02-05-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:00 AM

Animaniacs was Looney Toons with a turbocharger. For an entire decade it defined creative, fun, funny, irreverent, endlessly entertaining, and at times sentimental (some of the Rita and Runt sketches moved me to tears, I kid you not) animation. The only part I thought was a little weak was the Hiphippos, and even they had their moments. One segment, Pinky and the Brain, got so popular it spun off into its own show. That's how huge this was.

Freakazoid broke all the rules, laughed in the face of convention, and didn't once try to be even remotely coherent. It was amazing. It was clear everyone involved just wanted to have fun and, more importantly, let the audience just want to have fun. It was like the polar opposite of the eternally formulaic and dreary Taz-Mania. A shame it only lasted two seasons.

And once again, Duckman. Tragically ahead of its time and NEVER, EVER got its due. The best thing I can say about it is that it knew exactly where the line was when it came to edginess and never forgot the importance of a good story. Any show that puts a loud, dumb, obnoxious, tedious jerk like Eric Duckman front and center and not only makes him genuinely funny but sometimes sympathetic is doing something right.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
And once again, Duckman. Tragically ahead of its time and NEVER, EVER got its due. The best thing I can say about it is that it knew exactly where the line was when it came to edginess and never forgot the importance of a good story. Any show that puts a loud, dumb, obnoxious, tedious jerk like Eric Duckman front and center and not only makes him genuinely funny but sometimes sympathetic is doing something right.
Duckman was a great show and probably the one that convinced me that animation could be an adult medium as well as a kids one. A great show with spot-on casting of Jason Alexander as the titular character.

Given the popularity of shows like Archer and Bob's Burgers now, I'd love to see someone reboot Duckman as well.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
Changed the way I watch cartoons as an adult.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:59 AM

Simpsons, and South Park were and are contenders for this thread title. But while I love Venture Brothers (to death!), they aren't in contention. Once you make the decision to set your world in parody of a particular genre (in this case 1970s arch-villain vs superspy stories) then the gags are just there for the picking. You don't need to be creative so much as send it up. YMMV
Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 AM

I rate Adventure Time very highly (I rate Steven Universe higher) but I have to ask, since the OP says "They're constantly coming up with characters, settings, creatures, the likes of which I've never seen before " - has the OP ever roleplayed?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Simpsons, and South Park were and are contenders for this thread title. But while I love Venture Brothers (to death!), they aren't in contention. Once you make the decision to set your world in parody of a particular genre (in this case 1970s arch-villain vs superspy stories) then the gags are just there for the picking. You don't need to be creative so much as send it up. YMMV
The Venture Bros is quite a deep show though - it's less about sending up the 1970s/1980s Saturday Morning Adventure Cartoon genre as it is about exploring the themes of failure and not living up to one's potential.

Bojack Horseman is another show in the same vein - you'll spend the first episode or two laughing at the wacky self-centred talking horse and then the show gets dark and also very deep.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:35 AM

Comedy Central (I think...now I'm second guessing myself) had an animated series for a while, and I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it, but it was really funny and pretty creative.

It starred a regular guy, but he was living in a world with monsters and zombies and stuff. His roommate was a zombie, his girlfriend was the daughter of the devil and there were all sorts of weird monsters about. I think his job was a therapist? It was called something like "America, USA" or "Weird America" "Modern America?" Ugh. Can anyone help?
Old 02-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
It starred a regular guy, but he was living in a world with monsters and zombies and stuff. His roommate was a zombie, his girlfriend was the daughter of the devil and there were all sorts of weird monsters about. I think his job was a therapist? It was called something like "America, USA" or "Weird America" "Modern America?" Ugh. Can anyone help?
Ugly Americans.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:21 AM

Yes! Thank you!

I knew I was close on the title. What a good show that was.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
The first two seasons, sure. But the third and especially 4th started to get deep. And Doomstar Requiem is The Best Thing Ever Broadcast.
THIS. Metalocalypse took a concept that seemed rather silly on the surface -- a self-absorbed metal band unaware of their godlike powers -- and made an amazing story out of it. (And who would have thought that the lawyer/manager/CFO would turn out to be such a badass? )

Venture Brothers is similar to me...it started out as a playful parody of classic adventure cartoons, but the underlying story is quite serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
LOVE Adventure Time!

Especially loved the back story episodes where they talk about the Ice King and how the Earth was transformed into the land of Ooo.
This one never fails to disappoint...even the plotless episodes (mostly done by guest animators, I think) are awesome to watch. Long before the show's backstory was made official, many viewers already had a hint that something deeper was going on because of all the little bits of an apparent civilization left lying around. And the transformation of the Ice King from terrible villain to sympathetic character was moving.

Steven Universe also belongs in this category. That show has tackled some really serious topics, and also features a nice mix of plot-heavy episodes with fun or thought-provoking pieces. And the art is gorgeous, too -- especially the outer space backgrounds.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 PM

...dunno about "..of all time" but Archer has gotta be up there.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Regular Show definitely deserves some mention in this conversation. The writing and character development were great. In the earlier seasons it had a tendency to go a little too crazy/trippy, but the extended story arcs were great.

I'm glad someone mentioned Cow and Chicken and Duckman.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

We have a five-year old granddaughter, so I'm thinking of the shows she would watch. We've been really impressed with Zack and Quack, where their entire world is set within a pop-up book. Every scene change is a pull of a tab that turns a page. It's really cute (and kind of trippy).
Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
The Venture Bros is quite a deep show though - it's less about sending up the 1970s/1980s Saturday Morning Adventure Cartoon genre as it is about exploring the themes of failure and not living up to one's potential.
Yeah, but so did Get Smart, Married With Children, and... actually most comedy shows.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Yeah, but so did Get Smart, Married With Children, and... actually most comedy shows.
Not necessarily. And we're talking about animated shows, so a deconstruction of the Saturday Morning Adventurers and Supervillains genre definitely qualifies as creative IMHO.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:13 AM

Yeah, it is quite creative. I like it a lot.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
We have a five-year old granddaughter, so I'm thinking of the shows she would watch. We've been really impressed with Zack and Quack, where their entire world is set within a pop-up book. Every scene change is a pull of a tab that turns a page. It's really cute (and kind of trippy).
Oh, little kiddie shows are awesome right now - my 4yo loves Zack and Quack. Also the British shows Sarah and Duck and The Adventures of Abney & Teal
Old 02-09-2017, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

The Venture Bros. is just about my favorite show ever, but I'm surprised Phineas and Ferb hasn't been nominated yet.

Same with Spongebob Squarepants and The Fairly Oddparents.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I'm surprised Phineas and Ferb hasn't been nominated yet.
Now THAT was a creative show!!!

I have the feeling that Disney was getting complaints from parents that were trying to watch TV with their kids that there was nothing that was entertaining for them as well as for their kids. This show is multifaceted and deep on so many levels. Also, they throw in so many obscure references to other shows.

I also would second Animaniacs. This scene from "Woodstock Slappy" is an awesome example of just how creative the series was.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 AM

Dragwyr:

Quote:
This scene from "Woodstock Slappy" is an awesome example of just how creative the series was.
A copy of Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First" routine is an awesome example of creativity? Funny, yes, but hardly creative.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:48 AM

Come on, whippersnappers. It's Beany and Cecil! At the time, there were nuclear tests going on at the Bikini Atoll. So where did our heroes go? To the No Bikini Atoll, of course!

I'll give the silver medal to Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Worker and Parasite? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_dhUv_CrI
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Come on, whippersnappers. It's Beany and Cecil! At the time, there were nuclear tests going on at the Bikini Atoll. So where did our heroes go? To the No Bikini Atoll, of course!
There is a plausible fan theory that suggests that is where Spongebob Squarepants comes from as well. It takes place in Bikini Bottom. The characters are the result of mutations caused by nuclear tests or so the idea goes...

https://www.beamly.com/tv-film/are-b...uclear-testing

Last edited by Shagnasty; 02-09-2017 at 11:33 AM.