Does PVC/plastic pipe measured by outside diameter exist?

Does anyone know if there is any type of PVC or plastic pipe that is sold in whole inch increments by OUTSIDE diameter? I’m looking for pipe with an outside diameter between 6 and 14 inches (has to be whole inch sizes). All the pipe i’ve seen has been measured by inside diameter, which often results in an outside diameter of slightly less or more than whole inch increments. Ideas?

It’s pretty much a definition thing. Pipe is measured by inside diameter because it’s made to carry stuff inside. Structural tubing is measured by outside diameter and PVC really isn’t intended for structural uses. I’m not aware of any that is specified by OD.

Pipe sizes are approximations of the inside diameter of the pipe. PVC is standardized by the outside diameter. The marking “IPS” stands for iron pipe size. The outside diameter has to be consistant as the pipe is held together by fittings. Sch 80 1/2" pipe has a significantly smaller ID than PSI 250 PVC sprinkler pipe but both can be joined using a Sch 40 fitting.

It is noteable that a 1/2" copper pipe has a different ID and OD than a PVC pipe. Sink drain pipe also differs from Abs drain pipe (which is IPS).

Hose, on the other hand is standardized by ID (mostly) because it uses internal connecters w/ clamping-banding to make a join.

This table shows the conversions, but I couldn’t find exactly what you’re describing. A pipe manufacturer would be bucking the industry standard by selling by outer diameter. Your request make me curious, though, as to why a nice round number is required. Is it for some kind of display? “This is what two inches looks like! This is what four inches looks like! This is me, if you’re hot!”

Yeah, I think I’ve come across that table before too…

LOL – good guess, but no. I was thinking of making some drums out of pvc using factory made heads and hardware – the heads come in sizes designed to fit shells of whole inch increment diameters.

Well, if you want to make bigger drums, you can use the charts on this page [url=]Notes on Pipe. PVC pipe sizes go by OD for 14" and above.