How do you copy table formatting from a web page and paste in Word?

I found an HMTL table on a web page and wanted to copy and paste the whole thing into Word. I wanted it to still be a table instead of an unformatted blob of words. I know I’ve done this before but can’t remember how to make it work, and Word “Help” didn’t help. I used Foxfire 1.0 and Word 2000.

I want to copy and paste the whole table from web to Word in one go, without copy and pasting each individual cell.

In Word, do any of the options under “Paste Special” do the trick?

This seems very similar to a posting on this same page asking how to fix a Word™ anomaly.
I went to a web table. Hilighted it. Copied it, then pasted it into Word™ and everything worked out fine.
Without getting too “nosy”, what specific table (and link) are you trying to paste into Word™?

So that’s what “Paste Special…” means! Thanks, Papermache Prince!

I click and dragged to select all of the cells within the table, but kept the selection neatly within the cell borders. (I always used to color inside the lines in coloring books too.) When I pasted this, the table formatting was lost.

So I set “Paste Special…” to “HTML format” and then Paste Specialed it. Same result.

Finally, I did Ctrl-A to select the whole kitten caboodle of the web page. This worked!

This worked OK because the whole page was almost entirely table. I’m not sure how this would work if it was a huge gigantic text web page with a table in the middle of it somewhere. But at least I’m happy I learned a new skill today. Thanks, Dopers!

If you select the contents of the web table, you aren’t selecting the table itself, so Word has nothing to format but a bunch of text.

Had you selected the whole web table, and maybe a line or two above & below to make sure you got the whole thing, Word would have understood what you meant & formatted it as a table. Selecting the entire page worked, but was unneccessary.

Coloring outside the lines. That’s right, kids, don’t let anyone tell you it’s wrong in this high tech new world. Sometimes you really need to!