How big a problem are rats in LA really?

I’ve heard that LA is infested with rats. That even the Bel Aire and Beverly Hills homes aren’t free of them. Is this true. Are they really all over? Is there any area that is not infested? Santa Monica? Pacific Palisades? How about the tony high-rises on Wilshire Blvd?

I lived in eastern L.A. County for years and never heard anyone mention them. Of course, cats seem to find them, but isn’t that the same everywhere?

At first I thought you were talking about Louisiana (LA=Louisiana right?) I have no clue about L.A. (Los Angeles). But, in Louisiana, I have seen only one rat in my life. That is about one rat in 40 years or so.

Ok, thats all…

Yes, Los Angeles has Rats, big f…ing Rats, However, there are different species of rats. Depending what part of the city you are in. Take the Wharf for example. The Port of Entry, more specifically, Terminal Island. I was doing business there and noticed a large rubber 50 gallon trash can next to the staircase leading into the office. I looked in and saw about 20 rats swimming around in a couple of gallons of water. My contact said that the island is infested with rats and every night they put some Purina dog chow in the bottom of the container and a 2x4 gang plank connected to the staircase. The Rats jump in to eat the chow then they can’t get out. In the morning, They just add water and the rats swim and crawl all over each other until they expire.

I have friends who used to live in a big old house in the Hollywood Hills. (Dot com money.) Their backyard was an ivy-covered near-vertical slope with a twisted path that snaked up to a guest house at the top. They referred to it as the “rat highway”.

I’ve never seen a live rat in Westwood. There was the dead one that turned up in the bottom of our elevator shaft though … .

If you haven’t seen rats, you haven’t looked hard enough. I remember watching a David Attenborough PBS special on rats, and he stated: Anyone living in a city is never more than 15 meters away from a rat. He may have been exagerating a bit, but I think you get the point.

Pretty much any big city is full of rats.
Ivy = Rat condos
Sewers / strom drains = Rat interstate highways

Is LA infested? Probably no more than other similar cities. While I have seen cars where rats have eaten wiring (and heard of pleanty more stories) I can only think of one time I saw a rat. I was driving home in rush hour traffic. I was stopped on the fast lane of the freeway. A large rat climbed out of the strom drain grate in the center divider next to my car. :eek: Creeped me out.

Used to have them at work (Whittier), but they’re gone since the Cat Patrol took over. Bastards even crawled up on my engine block and chewed up my spark plug wires once.

From the Encyclopedia.com article on rats:

and