How common was wireless in WWI aircraft?

I’ve heard that British artillery observation aircraft had one-way wireless transmitters, and that they could direct a barrage using Morse code. (ISTR that telegraphs were used in balloons during the American Civil War.) Did any other aircraft in WWI use wireless? Did the Germans use it? The French or Americans? Or was it only the Brits?

According to this site wireless telegraphy equipment was added to reconnaisance aircraft by 1915.

I don’t think it was common in fighters or bombers if any was used at all. At that time radio was mostly Morse Code equipment and was cumbersome and heavy.

And

Note-WW1 saw zeppelins used as heavy bombing aircraft.

They carried extensive wireless gear, sending & receiving.

It was much more common to have wired communications with reaaaally long phone lines on a spool in the tail.

Apon seeing the topic, the first thing I thought was "Wireless? Nah, they had to use CAT5 cable to network their computers in the WWI planes. 802.11b wasn’t developed and deployed (By US Navy aviators) until shortly before the Battle of Midway :smiley:

Disclaimer: This post is in jest. Nothing in it is of any informational value.

random article on WW1 observation
I believe artillery spotting was the main purpose of aircraft during WW1. Most other aircraft were there to protect or destroy the spotters.

Note that tethered balloons were still very important for artillery control and were not only prime targets for aircraft but very heavily defended - shooting them down was considered to be a considerable achievement. For instance this character was a notorious Balloon Buster