Anthropology Fiction?

I am hoping that some people can help with books with an anthropological theme. I am looking for mostly fiction, with some being for people with lower reading skills. So far I have come up with:
Clan of the Cave Bear
Eight
Mendell’s Dwarf
Possibly Elizabeth Peters first Amelia Peabody book ( I forget the name at the moment. I plead caffine defficency.)

I thought about

Ursula K. LeGuin has been writing anthropological science fiction for ages. Read The Left Hand of Darkness (imagine researching a planet of unisexual beings) or Always Coming Home (which was packaged with a casette of the society’s songs). The “K” stands for Kroeber – she’s related to the professor who worked with (and wrote the book about) Ishi.

I remember enjoying Go and Come Back, by Jean Abelove. It’s about a South American tribe and two anthropologists who come to live with them, told from the perspective of a teenage girl. It’s not very difficult to read.

Uh, and when I say Jean, I mean Joan.

Alfred L. Kroeber

Michael Bishop’s No Enemy but Time has an anthropological theme.

There’s also Roger MacBride Allen’s Orphan of Creation, a hard-SF novel about anthropologists, including some very accurate descriptions of a dig.

The Falling Woman by Pat Murphy.

Al Kroeber is considered the Father of American Anthropology. She’s his daughter, if I remember correctly.

A Woman of the Iron People, by Eleanor Arnason

I thouight so, too, but wasn’t sure and didn’t want to say so until I confirmed it. The link in crowmanyclouds’s post does.

From the Wiki

He received his doctorate under Franz Boas at Columbia University in 1901.
Kroeber was father of the academic Karl Kroeber and the fantasy writer Ursula K. Le Guin by his second wife, Theodora.
His second wife, Theodora Kroeber, wrote a well-known biography of Ishi, Ishi in Two Worlds.
Not from the Wiki

When Ishi became ill, Dr. Saxton Pope was called to provide his medical care.
Ishi and Dr. Pope became close friends. Ishi taught Dr. Pope to shoot the bow and hunt in the Indian way.
Pope and his friend Art Young are considered the fathers of modern bowhunting.

Picture of Ishi with Alfred Kroeber, who “sponsored” him at UCSF. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishi

The bottom of the page also has about Dr. Pope

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell, winner of the 1961 Newberry Award.

Go to amazon.com. Type in “clan of the cave bear” and look for the part where they tell you what other books you might be interested in. I’ve found a few good books using that technique.

A Cannibal in Manhattan by Tama Janowitz.

You didn’t say it had to be good anthropological fiction.

Look up material by Chad Oliver (e.g., NESFA recently issued a couple volumes of reprints). He was a professor of anthropology who wrote science fiction on the side.

Maybe not exactly what you’re looking for, but Evolution Man: Or How I Ate My Father is a hilarious fictionalized account of the “Ascent of Man”.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0679750096/sr=1-1/qid=1137817132/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0125395-0482449?_encoding=UTF8

While Alfred Kroeber was certainly hugely influential in the genesis of American Anthropology, that distinction really belongs to his mentor, Franz Boas.

To the OP, I’d recommend Return to Laughter by Elenor Smith Bowen: a (barely) fictionalized account of doing ethnographic fieldwork in Africa.

well, in that case, although not a book, there’s [Krippendorf’s Tribe](Krippendorf’s Tribe) , which, while it does have Jenna Elfman, is, safe to say, not Richard Dreyfuss’ best work…