The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-05-2006, 02:20 PM

Why does oatmeal give me heartburn?

Just what the title says. I love the stuff, but no matter what form--oat groats from scratch, Quaker instant, oatmeal cookies--it gives me hideous heartburn about 45 minutes to an hour after I eat it. Plain oatmeal does it just as badly as a homemade oatmeal cookie.
After working out this morning I had half a cup of Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal with almond milk, and sure enough I was bolting for the Tums half an hour later when I felt it coming on.
Everything I read says it should be the opposite, and that a diet high in fiber should help keep heartburn at bay. I can eat the greasiest, spiciest meal on the face of the planet and be just fine, nothing gives me heartburn like oatmeal. What gives?
Advertisements  
Old 02-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Well, your reaction is certainly paradoxical, as fiber is generally recognized as reducing the frequency of GERD in some patients.

However, I can hypothesize that with some individuals, the bulk of the fiber may distend the stomach as the fiber swells with liquid, thus expanding the stomach and relaxing the sphincter which is supposed to be a one-way valve to prevent acid from migrating back up into the esophagus.

Again, that's my wild-ass hypothesis.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:31 PM

Probably best to consult your doctor about this (standard disclaimer I know but good advice nonetheless).

Dunno if this helps but...

Quote:
Myth #1: "I cause my heartburn."
There are many lifestyle habits and certain foods and beverages that can worsen your heartburn symptoms. However, heartburn is a medical condition with biological causes. Even with changes in lifestyle and eating habits, the condition is still there, and you may still experience heartburn. This fact makes itself known the first time you try eating that spicy food again.

Myth #2: "Heartburn can be cured with a bland diet."
A bland diet isn't bad for heartburn sufferers. In fact, it may make them feel better. But the bland diet alone will not cure heartburn caused by Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD.

SOURCE: http://heartburn.about.com/od/unders...burn_myths.htm
That said following some links from the page above it lists foods with little potential to cause heartburn. I won't quote it here because it is a table but oatmeal is listed among the low risk foods.

http://heartburn.about.com/cs/dietfo...burnfoods1.htm <-- Link to the table.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

In addition, you might want to consult your physician about your symptoms. It's possible that you don't have heartburn alone but perhaps complicated by other GI conditions.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the responses, I guess a check in with the doc is in order.
On preview, I didn't really intend this to be a 'medical advice for mixie' thread, but somehow thought there was a factual answer for why oatmeal would cause heartburn for some people. I guess I'm just a lone, oatmeal-refluxing freak though
Old 04-12-2011, 11:36 AM

oatmeal and heartburn

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I rarely experience heartburn except when I eat oatmeal or granola cereal. For some time I thought the granola mixed with yogurt was the culprit. I began eating plain old fast cook oatmeal and experienced the same hearburn issue.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Whoa, zombiness!

Thanks for the anti-oatmeal support. As it turns out, I cut all grains out of my diet a little while ago, and within 48 hours, all the heartburn/reflux and associated nausea that I had been experiencing for a couple of decades on a low-fat, whole-grain based diet stopped cold. Bacon, eggs, and spinach for breakfast, steak and broccoli with butter for dinner, and now my CBC/Chem panel results are hanging on the fridge with a gold star, and my blood pressure is down from 142/94 to 118/72. Life is good ;0)

Last edited by NajaNivea; 04-12-2011 at 11:47 AM..
Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Err... meaning to say that it turned out I always had acid reflux in conjunction with a whole-grain-heavy, low-fat meal, but before that had always associated it with dinner. I thought I just always had heartburn at night, no matter what. We always had rice, or barley, or pasta. Whole oats seem to bring it on the fastest and most predictably, but now that I've isolated grains in general, I can generally predict the onset of heartburn if I have a cookie or some good, crusty bread or something as a treat.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Not alone

Oh, you are so not alone! I've been tryin to have at least 1/2 a c up of oatmeal a day for breakfast and just recently, like within the last 4 days, I have started to get heartburn, too. I thought it was the coffee - tho that's been in my routine for 6+ months now - but even with drinking tea and eating my oatmeal I'm gettin the heartburn So, I'll check w/ the doc when I go Tues based on all the posts I'm seeing here. Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NajaNivea View Post
On preview, I didn't really intend this to be a 'medical advice for mixie' thread, but somehow thought there was a factual answer for why oatmeal would cause heartburn for some people. I guess I'm just a lone, oatmeal-refluxing freak though
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM

For what it's worth, I have the same problem from eating rice. I've mentioned it to doctors, and nobody has heard of this before. So I just eat rice very sparingly.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 AM

I've learned that oatmeal eaten alone makes my stomach go all weird (not heartburn pain, exactly) 45 minutes to an hour after breakfast. However, eating protein such as poached eggs or an omelet with the oatmeal makes the symptoms disappear. Whole-grain rye bread etc. does not act like this, so there's something evil in the oatmeal itself, not just the fiber.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 AM

Interesting. I have reflux and there have been a few occasions where I haven't felt good after eating oatmeal, kind of like heartburn yet not.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM

You are not alone

Quote:
Oatmeal does the exact same thing to me and I find myself asking the same question as well. I'm sitting here at work right now, still suffering at 10:00pm from a large bowl of plain oatmeal that I ate at 12:30pm this afternoon! And that is the reason I asked why this is happening to me from something that is suppose to be good for me. You are definitely not alone in this.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 AM

Wow, so another fellow oatmeal-cryptoniter! I figured I was just strange, well I am to be honest..., strangER than other people because oatmeal, wheat bread (any wheat -brown bread), and lastly cream of wheat (GOD WHYYYY) give me the worst heartburn ever.

The only reason I signed up was to spread some knowledge: Baking Soda.

Remember, don't make a bad habit out of it as it has a lot of sodium, but when you're having one of those nightmare heartburn episodes grab about 1 tablespoon of baking soda (not powder) and mix it with some water. The less water, the more concentrated it will taste... the more water the less nasty it is but you have to drink all of it. So one is a shot of nasty and the other is a longer dilution of nasty haha.

Anyway, mix it really well and just drink it. I can almost guarantee you that your heartburn will DIE within a few seconds to a few minutes.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 PM

Whole grains give me heartburn, reflux, and diarrhea. It got so bad for me at one point that I was diagnosed with IBS. But it turns out that if I stay away from certain foods, I am symptom free.

Some of us do not need extra dietary fiber. If you aren't constipated, you're getting enough. Some of us also have reactions in our upper digestive tract to certain compounds in foods that many people digest perfectly - who knows why - but I know a lot of heartburn and GERD sufferers who saw big improvements when they stopped eating grain products.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlith View Post
The only reason I signed up was to spread some knowledge: Baking Soda.

Remember, don't make a bad habit out of it as it has a lot of sodium, but when you're having one of those nightmare heartburn episodes grab about 1 tablespoon of baking soda (not powder) and mix it with some water. The less water, the more concentrated it will taste... the more water the less nasty it is but you have to drink all of it. So one is a shot of nasty and the other is a longer dilution of nasty haha.

Anyway, mix it really well and just drink it. I can almost guarantee you that your heartburn will DIE within a few seconds to a few minutes.
One tablespoon is WAY too much! On the box of baking soda it recommends 1/2 teaspoon, which is plenty.

Last edited by needscoffee; 04-27-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
Some of us do not need extra dietary fiber. If you aren't constipated, you're getting enough.
Cite?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Oats do the same to me, the only thought I had was that I might be mixing up a bowl with too little milk to dilute the mixture.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
Oats do the same to me, the only thought I had was that I might be mixing up a bowl with too little milk to dilute the mixture.
That's possible. I eat oatmeal for breakfast practically every morning (with nuts, bananas, a dash of maple syrup, hemlock seeds, chia, wheat germ, ground flax seed, and a frozen mixed berry from Costco's (defrosted first, of course). With a cup of Joe, of course. After this meal, I always have to defecate. That's a good thing I think. If the oatmeal gets a little thick while I'm eating it, I will add some more soymilk. I don't use milk, just soymilk. I have eaten the oatmeal at McDonald's with no after-effects. However, a person with whom I run and with whom I stop at McDonald's after the run, did complain of those problems and has refused to eat oatmeal since.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Whoa, zombiness!

Thanks for the anti-oatmeal support. As it turns out, I cut all grains out of my diet a little while ago, and within 48 hours, all the heartburn/reflux and associated nausea that I had been experiencing for a couple of decades on a low-fat, whole-grain based diet stopped cold. Bacon, eggs, and spinach for breakfast, steak and broccoli with butter for dinner, and now my CBC/Chem panel results are hanging on the fridge with a gold star, and my blood pressure is down from 142/94 to 118/72. Life is good ;0)
[Wilford Brimley] Oatmeal --- in your case, it's not the right thing to do. [/WB]
Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm another one who can't eat grains of any kind. Cut out wheat 25 years ago, cut out all other grains, including corn, since then. Heartburn, "full feeling" for days, garden variety gastronomical upsets have completely gone away. If I slip up, I'm reminded again why I don't eat grain. It doesn't happen often.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Take a tablespoon of Mylanta (or the generic) a half hour before eating the oatmeal.

I did that for years before I got my throat and stomach scoped. Doctor did the procedure and decided I needed to be on Omeprazole.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-28-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
That's possible. I eat oatmeal for breakfast practically every morning (with nuts, bananas, a dash of maple syrup, hemlock seeds, chia, wheat germ, ground flax seed, and a frozen mixed berry from Costco's (defrosted first, of course). With a cup of Joe, of course. After this meal, I always have to defecate. That's a good thing I think. If the oatmeal gets a little thick while I'm eating it, I will add some more soymilk. I don't use milk, just soymilk. I have eaten the oatmeal at McDonald's with no after-effects. However, a person with whom I run and with whom I stop at McDonald's after the run, did complain of those problems and has refused to eat oatmeal since.
Hemlock seeds?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
If the oatmeal gets a little thick while I'm eating it, I will add some more soymilk. I don't use milk, just soymilk. I have eaten the oatmeal at McDonald's with no after-effects
Noticed it today too after having some oat biscuits that I haven't tried in a long time. Absolutely dry and gave me a little touch of discomfort.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Hemlock seeds?
Oops. I meant hemp seeds: raw shelled hemp seeds. The bag I have, which I got from Costco, is called "Hemp Hearts."
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM

So am I the only person on the planet who gets heartburn from rice? (brown or white or red or black, long or short)
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 PM

oatmeal, cheerios, oatmeal cookies, etc. = heartburn

I have a hiatal hernia (If I drink diet soda and open my mouth, a bystander can hear the bubbling) as well as gall bladder issues (too much of some types of fat gives me heartburn). Tums always works, crackers work, mustard (turmeric) always & good preventive; rolaids, mylanta, Gas-X - nope.
But occasionally, even a couple of swallows of water will cause heartburn.

I've started watching what I eat and have managed to keep the heartburn away (down to 1 jar of tums a year instead of 1 a month), except:

1 bite of cheerios, oatmeal (regardless of type), oatmeal cookie - always gives me heartburn within a very few minutes.
Rice cereals (rice chex, rice krispies) - never.

Could it be lactose (milk has always been my drink of choice, even with alcohol) or gluten (not really sure what that encompasses)?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 PM

have you ever taken a Pepcid or rinitadine or something like that if you know your going to generate that kind of acid?
My .5 makes fabulace pasties and the crust is a pie crust that when combined with the Pasty will give me Heartburn but a Pepcid or such ten min. before i pour on the Catsup and wolf down one of the best Pasty's ever and no effects what-so-ever.
And we buy dozens of Church fund raiser pasty's every couple weeks and they never cause heartburn and i eat them the same way, but they are way way inferior to the Ms. Gbro's famious Pasty! Two of my daghters wont even eat a Church Pasty!
And Tums, Rolaids, forget it! if i get a fire going it taks a much larger fire extingisher like a teaspoon of Arm and Hammer in a couple ounces of water. two rolls of those store boughts wont do a thing.
One time while hunting Elk in Colorado i got a big fire and i couldnt find anything in my day pack. I spent a while drowing it with water and looking for wintergreen plants and was planning the 8 Mile hick out to the truck for a long ride to town, but when i spread everything in my daypack out i spotted the tooth past and the word WINTERGREEN!
a nice long squirt of that and the fire was officially out anf no rekindle either.

Last edited by Gbro; 06-15-2013 at 11:56 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone. I can eat any kind of Mexican food, and spicy dishes for that matter, with no ill effects. Oatmeal on the other hand "SEVERE" heartburn. Sometimes so bad I feel like throwing up.

I like the taste, and my doctor recommends it for my high cholesterol, but man it reeks havoc. I've tried all kinds and they all result in HEARTBURN.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 PM

Same here. I googled "oatmeal heartburn" and it brought me here.

I add a little brown sugar and cinnamon to mine, don't know if that makes a difference but probably not since you other posters said you've tried all kinds.

However, I'm going to reduce the portion size to see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas2006 View Post
I have a hiatal hernia "snip"

1 bite of cheerios, oatmeal (regardless of type), oatmeal cookie - always gives me heartburn within a very few minutes.
Rice cereals (rice chex, rice krispies) - never.
Ditto, hiatal hernia and oatmeal plagues me with heartburn also. Not rice, wheat, barley, corn or any other starches that might swell. Just oatmeal.

Last edited by sylmar; 07-19-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM

I have the same problem. A "Why does oatmeal give me heartburn?" Google search led me here. I, too, have a hiatal hernia. Guess that is the connection because I could eat it (and did daily) as a kid. But, now, no way. I can't eat it any way - plain, sugar, butter. Nothing. The only other thing that gives me horrid heartburn is soda, which is easy to live with as I prefer lemonade or tea. But, really, I want to be able to eat oatmeal, especially in the winter.

Panache, rice doesn't give me heartburn. It causes issues a little further down the track. Bloats me up really bad. White and brown. I can, however, eat wild rice with no problems.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Alone View Post
I have the same problem. A "Why does oatmeal give me heartburn?" Google search led me here. I, too, have a hiatal hernia. Guess that is the connection because I could eat it (and did daily) as a kid. But, now, no way. I can't eat it any way - plain, sugar, butter. Nothing. The only other thing that gives me horrid heartburn is soda, which is easy to live with as I prefer lemonade or tea. But, really, I want to be able to eat oatmeal, especially in the winter.

Panache, rice doesn't give me heartburn. It causes issues a little further down the track. Bloats me up really bad. White and brown. I can, however, eat wild rice with no problems.
Try quinoa.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Alone View Post
And of course, wild rice isn't really the same plant as rice - more of a distant cousin.

My question for those who get heartburn from oatmeal - how do you prefer to eat yours? Chewy, soupy, wallpaper paste, straight out of the box? Butter, milk, sugar, raisins?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM

People. If oatmeal gives you heartburn, stop eating it! Seriously, it obviously doesn't agree with you. It's hardly a necessary part of a healthy diet. Why put yourself through that?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
So am I the only person on the planet who gets heartburn from rice? (brown or white or red or black, long or short)
I also suffer from heartburn after eating white or brown rice as well as oatmeal... yet I lived in Japan for six years, and my wife is Japanese... oh, but I'm hispanic and mexican food don't give me any problems... i'm on prilosec/omeprazole.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 PM

GERD and acid reflux come from a messed up ratio of bacteria in your gut. I used to be up all night just about coughing up mucus constantly and digesting food so slow that I'd often cough up things I ate 12+ hours before.

The way you fix this is really simple; you eat probiotic foods. After eating probiotic vegetables and drinking probiotic kumbucha type drinks, my symptoms have gone away within days and are now getting better. The lump in my throat is gone, I can now swallow without drinking hot water, I can sleep for 8+ hours without issue and if I eat grains I get a mild reaction instead of my body trying to murder me for it.

So basically, all you need to do is look up probiotic foods, make a list of what you want and eat nothing but that for awhile. I've been eating foods I know I shouldn't be every few days, which is why I suspect I still get immediate (albeit mild) issues with grains, but if you eat nothing but probiotic foods for about a month I imagine you can completely fix the issue.

Another thing to consider is foods nowadays are based on taste rather than nutrition. Dairy products? They aren't good for us at all. Grains? Our bodies can't digest it properly. Now consider that we have been eating highly refined versions of these foods that weren't good for us to begin with. Yeah, our bodies can use SOME of the nutrients in these foods and there aren't any negative effects if we eat it once or twice a week, but our bodies are not meant for this food and eating it on a regular basis is terrible for us.

We need to remember the point of food, that is to keep us alive and healthy.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:50 PM

It's simple. In a previous life you were very unkind to oats. Shame on you. Now you get your come uppance.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:21 PM

I love oatmeal also, as well as oatmeal cookies, I also get heartburn but mild enough to put up with it and doesn't seem to last too long. I have alwasy attributed it to the coffee oatmeal combo but not sure. Whole wheat cereals give me stomach cramps and lower gi issues. No problem with whole wheat bread.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 AM

HoneyBadgerDC
I have found 1 teaspoon of organic honey mixed with 1 teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar morning and evening works well to prevent heartburn or GERD. Probiotics are also good to restore the bacterial balance in the stomach. It can be useful to check the amount of acid in your stomach with a simple test - first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, drink a glass of water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda stirred through. If you burp once or twice your levels are ok, if more than that then you know that your stomach acid levels are too high.
I am not a doctor or naturopath but have battled these conditions for ages and have researched and tried many things. You may need to address other items in your diet as well as grains. You could also visit this site which offers an indepth discussion on these issues http://nomorereflux.net. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ozigirl; 10-15-2013 at 05:42 AM..
Old 10-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Not cooked rice, but rice cereals like Chex do.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM

I just discovered recently that Oatmeal plays havoc with my hiatal hernia ,
I also found out (through some research), and it works for me , that an apple will
stop any heartburn.