The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-07-2006, 02:40 AM

Age of Empires 3, how do you unpause a loaded game?

seriously wtfrak?

house sitting for a friend so his cat doesnt die, find AoE and start of a game, never played before but having fun figuring stuff out. save my game, come back next day and I can load it but then it starts out paused and for the life of me I cant unpause it...and of course I cant find his game manual either. anyone?
Advertisements  
Old 02-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

If the controls are like the original Aoe, I think the plus and minus keys should increase and decrease game speed, and so pressing the plus key should exit from Pause mode.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:43 AM

Just hit the pause key next to the scroll lock key on the keyboard.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:16 AM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

I found this irritating myself. Usually you pause by going into the menu, and when you return from the menu and click anywhere, it unpauses. However, if you load a save game, you have to hit the "Pause" key.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:18 AM

try f7
Old 02-07-2006, 09:16 AM

Is it better than AoE II? I got kind of bored with that. Though Civ is a lttle too much.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra
Is it better than AoE II? I got kind of bored with that. Though Civ is a lttle too much.
Much better, IMO. It took me a while to figure out how to unpause also - kind of an irritating "feature." (having to press the "pause" key, which I did not know existed before then.)

My favorite thing about the game is that you can play a pretty good game to completion in an hour or so if you know what you're doing. None of this "must play another 3 hours to finish" nonsense.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:19 PM

i've played every one of the age of empires games. this one makes you have to go into the frey. games are decided a lot faster, especially if you go online

there's no turtling forever (although you still CAN) because there's a limit on the number of outposts you can build, which means they suddenly have a strategic function. you learn this the hard way when you get one route closed off and ready for invasion...and then they all come through the unprotected way...

the graphics are prettier...much prettier than previous installations. there's going to be a balance patch coming out relatively soon for it soon. despite that, each of the peoples have risks and rewards associated with them and, also despite all THIS , the game is relatively balanced as it is.

the game isn't so much strategy as it boils down to micromanaging. other strategy games take into account things like the weather or elevation changes or formations. if you have enough of one type of soldier, you win...unless the opponent starts kicking out things to counter that. then, obviously (if you haven't broken him by THEN) must churn out something to counter his counter. and thus, the mind war begins.

i really like the home city shipments as well. all around great stuff. i dig it with a friggin shovel.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:13 PM

lol the FRAKING PAUSE-BREAK KEY??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I will restrain from pit like language...and thanks guys.

unlike Civ this one is real time stratagy, Civ is turn based. so they are a bit different in that regard.