Old 09-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Hotel ice bucket question

I'm staying n a hotel tonight, and am once again confronted with a situation I do not understand.

The hotel provides a set of drinking glasses and an ice bucket. For several years now, the ice bucket has included a plastic bag.

What's the plastic bag for? My initial guess was that it was to line the ice bucket, but I've tried before, and tonight, and it's just too small to condomize the ice bucket.

So what am I supposed to do with this thing?

I'm about ready to give up with typos on this Lodgenet.
Advertisements  
Old 09-14-2003, 12:06 AM

Re: Hotel ice bucket question

Quote:
Originally posted by Ringo
So what am I supposed to do with this thing?
Why not call the concierge (or front desk) and ask?
Old 09-14-2003, 12:07 AM

What hotel are you at? My ice bucket bags have always been large enough to, uh, condomize the thing.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:58 AM

What do you need it for? The insides of the ice bucket are most certainly very far from sterile, maybe put some ice in the bag, then in the bucket? I doubt that there's a concierge at a place with "bucket bags", and the night person probably doesn't give a shit, so forget asking.

Here's some advice, forget the bag. Unless you want to wrap the ice in it, and then cool your beverage through conduction.

If the "water" from the hotel "ice" gets in your system, who knows what could happen...I'd rather drink tap water than get Legionairre's disease from an ice machine.

And before you think that "condomizing" a bucket makes it clean, think about the drunken bastards that probably pissed in and around said ice machine...people do. Act like you're in Mexico, bottled beverages only, and only then when washed externally.

Sorry to rant, but you brought up "hotel hygiene" which is IMO an oxymoron. Use the bag to touch the doorknob, or the toilet handle, or the remote...it never ends.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:05 AM
BANNED

Having worked in the hotel business all my life, I know the plastic IS to line the bucket. A couple of things happened. 1) The director of housekeeping ordered the wrong thing...so they use it anyway. 2) Budget cuts...The Director of Sales needs a raise so they order Ice Bucket Liners from a cheaper company and those don't fit. 3) You are staying on a floor for conceirge or suite level guests. The Ice Buckets are bigger and you got one for the regular floors. 4) You got the liner for something else...

And yes if you knew what a hotel was really like you'd never stay at one...Much like if you saw the inside of a resturant kitchen you wouldn't eat there.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks y'all. I'd pretty much figured out that it [i]had[i] to be meant as a liner. But it just doesn't fit. Mark's probably got it figured out.

And I've worked in restaurants
Old 09-15-2003, 12:36 AM

Aww, jeez, I thought it was my complimentary shower cap!

(3rd try, I'm gonna pit LodgeNet if this one fails...)
Old 09-15-2003, 03:13 AM

Um...it's nave of me to ask, but why exactly is there such a big demand for ice, while staying in a hotel room?

It's for putting in booze or something, right? No offense, but it's not like everyone could be reenacting scenes from "The World is Not Enough" while staying at the Hilton.

...Right?
Old 09-15-2003, 09:46 AM

Lots of people like to put ice in their beverages.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranchoth
[B]Um...it's nave of me to ask, but why exactly is there such a big demand for ice, while staying in a hotel room?B]
Well, to fill your bathtub with. Everybody knows you need a bathtub full of ice if you're going to steal a kidney.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:49 PM

Quote:
dnooman said:

And before you think that "condomizing" a bucket makes it clean, think about the drunken bastards that probably pissed in and around said ice machine...people do. Act like you're in Mexico, bottled beverages only, and only then when washed externally.
I'm forever ruined.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Um...it's nave of me to ask, but why exactly is there such a big demand for ice, while staying in a hotel room?
I down a glass or two of water every now and then, and I much prefer it with ice (or out of a refrigerator - often not an option in a hotel room). Usually the first thing I do upon getting settled is grab the ice bucket and hunt down the machine.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In addition to the reasons others have mentioned, I can put a couple of beers bought warm at a nearby store in the bucket and head for the ice machine. There, I fill the bucket with ice, and in an hour or so, I have cold beer.

This is what happens when you can't afford to stay in places with minibars. Or, even if you could, you couldn't afford the goods in the minibar.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoons
In addition to the reasons others have mentioned, I can put a couple of beers bought warm at a nearby store in the bucket and head for the ice machine. There, I fill the bucket with ice, and in an hour or so, I have cold beer.
I just did this very thing in Ontario over Labor Day weekend -- except I used the trash can filled with us. The ice bucket was just too small.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NurseCarmen
Well, to fill your bathtub with. Everybody knows you need a bathtub full of ice if you're going to steal a kidney.
Yeah, and those organ thieves are such sticklers for cleanliness they wouldn't think of transporting the ice from the machine to the bath tub without using the bucket bag. If someone were to get an infection it would really give the organ robbers a bad reputation.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:05 AM

I use both the bag and the bucket to get ice, then dump all of it in the sink, on top of some store boughtbeer drinks.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Markxxx

And yes if you knew what a hotel was really like you'd never stay at one...Much like if you saw the inside of a resturant kitchen you wouldn't eat there.
I visited the kitchen of the company cafeteria several times a shift to check on various employees. When a kitchen is in operation on a fast track basis it can be more that just a bit messy. This doesn't necessarilly mean it is unsanitary. At off shift and holidays it was spotless!

You have to know what you are looking at and for!

As for ice and/or water you are at the mercy of management. I ate at a big restaurant one hot day, no A/C, and I see one of the cooks drinking tea out of an iced tea pitcher. Called the manager and he said it was his pitcher. to whitch I suggested that he get the man a DIFFERENT something to drink out of in place of an iced tea pitcher!
Old 09-17-2003, 01:18 PM

It's conventional for chefs and kitchen staff to be allowed a full pitcher of ice water or tea. There's some kind of macho thing associated with needed all the liquid.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:43 PM

Re the ice: the classic purpose is to chill the champagne you are sharing with your lady friend. But, yeah, I just use it to throw over warm Labatt's from the local store.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

"Ice water in room 17? Send up some onions. They'll make your ice water."
Old 09-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What hotel are you at?
It was a Doubletree. Considering what it cost, I'd think the ice bucket condoms could fit.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Balthisar
I just did this very thing in Ontario over Labor Day weekend -- except I used the trash can filled with us. The ice bucket was just too small.
How many of you did you fit into the trash can?

And what were you doing in there?

Old 09-18-2003, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

LOL. How on Earth did ice become us? I think the mod's are playing games with me....
Old 09-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

How about putting the wine bottle in the condom - keep it from dripping all over when you fish it out the bucket?
Old 09-18-2003, 06:22 AM

Markxxx: Someone who used to be a housekeeper at a hotel told me that the glasses they always provide (usually covered with a cardboard disk or wrapped in paper, as if they've just been autoclaved) don't get washed. She said they just spray them with disinfectant and rinse them in the sink. While this seems practical and would probably suffice to kill any bacteria/viruses on the glass, it's also disturbing in an I'd-rather-not-know-that kind of way... Do you know if what I heard is true?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:44 PM

Important

People, I'm in my hotel room right now with an ice bucket and an ice bucket liner. (THANK YOU, now I know I can official call this the ice bucket liner and not the "weird WTF Is This Bag For Bag"). What I don't know is if I'm supposed to:

1) Walk down the hall with just the bag, put ice in it, and then bring it back to my room and put it in the ice bucket.

OR

2) Walk down the hall with the ice bucket liner inside the ice bucket?

It seems the bag may be too flimsy to walk around with the ice, so maybe it's #2...BUT do we live in an era where you can still maintain your dignity walking down the hall with a big old ice bucket with an ice bucket liner sticking out.

It's sort of like you're walking down the hall with a little trash can. Why would you do that? What will people think if they see you?

I'd RATHER just walk down the hall with the unlined bucket, but the comment earlier about the sanitary condition (or lack thereof) of the buckets has me concerned.

Oh, God, what do I do? I'M HERE RIGHT NOW IN THE ROOM AND I NEED ICE FOR MY BEVERAGE. (It's just water but I thought if I said "beverage" it'd make it seem like I was drinking something cool.)

PLEASE RESPOND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

P.S. Do you have to wear pants when getting ice if it's on your own floor? Is there sort of a transferred your own house living room/hallway status that is applied here?
Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

1. Put your goddamn pants on. I'm just down the hall, I'm not your mother, this isn't your home, and I'm not wild about seeing you in your underwear or less.
  2. Discard the plastic bag. Bags are for wimps.
  3. Fill the ice bucket from the ice dispenser and return to your room.
  4. Enjoy your free ice as you see fit.

Mazel tov!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:28 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
What's the plastic bag for? My initial guess was that it was to line the ice bucket, but I've tried before, and tonight, and it's just too small to condomize the ice bucket.
Reminds me of what the native English-speaking population in Japan and Korea call those bags department stores give you to wrap your umbrellas on rainy days so the umbrella doesn't drip water all over the store. Yep, they're called "umbrella condoms".
Old 07-17-2016, 12:30 AM

Would a 13-year-old zombie need a bag for an ice bucket? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Would a 13-year-old zombie need a bag for an ice bucket? Inquiring minds want to know.
Wait, do Zombies age????
Old 07-17-2016, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booka View Post
I'm forever ruined.
If it helps. they're really more like female condoms. Of course I don't know what you do with your ice bucket liners.

Last edited by Joey P; 07-17-2016 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:41 AM

Because drunks often vomit in the ice buckets. Thats what the bag is for. I've been given more than one degree for bringing back the bucket full of ice not lined with the bag by fellow guests who know better.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:42 AM

I feel your pain. Those ice bucket plastic bags are never big enough. I just throw them on the floor and put the ice directly in the plastic bucket. I travel with my own bottle of gin, which is strong enough to kill all of the toxic nasties living in the ice bucket anyway. Screw the plastic bag. Mazel Tov!!!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpoet View Post
Wait, do Zombies age????
not if they are kept on ice
Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 PM

What evidence do we have that plastic bag manufacturing employee's don't regularly piss inside these bags?
Old 07-17-2016, 12:56 PM

I usually just put my beer in the mini fridge.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roches View Post
Markxxx: Someone who used to be a housekeeper at a hotel told me that the glasses they always provide (usually covered with a cardboard disk or wrapped in paper, as if they've just been autoclaved) don't get washed. She said they just spray them with disinfectant and rinse them in the sink. While this seems practical and would probably suffice to kill any bacteria/viruses on the glass, it's also disturbing in an I'd-rather-not-know-that kind of way... Do you know if what I heard is true?
I worked in a Marriott hotel. House keeping picked up the glasses and any dirty dishes when making up the room. The classes and dirty dishes were taken to the kitchen and the dishwasher who ran them through the dishwasher. Everything is washed and then rinsed in 180 degree water.

Every morning a cast with clean glasses is delievered to house keeping.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:50 PM

I don't stay in Marriotts. I stay in Lowest Budget Bed and Kidney Dealers. So, on the rare occasions my room is fancy enough to merit glass instead of plastic wrapped paper cups, I just wash the glass in the sink before I use it. They do tend to have a Lemon Pledge fresh scent before I do that.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:16 PM
BANNED

If the too small ice bags are ribbed, you probably shouldn't use them.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

I have never in my life encountered a too-small ice bucket liner. For those who are totally uncultured, the correct procedure is to stick your fist into the bag, then into the bucket. Use your other hand to roll the bag down around the rim of the bucket. Place bucket under ice machine spout and fill. Return to your room. Wear pants. Remember your room # and room key. To keep your beer cold just fill the bathroom sink with ice.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Old old thread but here's another factor that people seem to have missed: some people like their ice to go. They'll travel with a cooler and keep food inside it during the day. Each morning they can throw a new bag of ice inside.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:01 PM

It seems to me that, since the bag's meant to go inside the bucket, it's more of a diaphragm than a condom.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpoet View Post
People, I'm in my hotel room right now with an ice bucket and an ice bucket liner. (THANK YOU, now I know I can official call this the ice bucket liner and not the "weird WTF Is This Bag For Bag"). What I don't know is if I'm supposed to:

1) Walk down the hall with just the bag, put ice in it, and then bring it back to my room and put it in the ice bucket.

OR

2) Walk down the hall with the ice bucket liner inside the ice bucket?

ll with the unlined bucket, but the comment earlier about the sanitary condition (or lack thereof) of the buckets has me concerned.

Oh, God, what do I do? I'M HERE RIGHT NOW IN THE ROOM AND I NEED ICE FOR MY BEVERAGE. (It's just water but I thought if I said "beverage" it'd make it seem like I was drinking something cool...
Excellent lead-off signal for a rookie. Welcome to Straight Dope.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:08 PM

One time I bought a gallon of milk and then later found out my hotel room had no refrigerator. Yes, it was that cheap. So I just filled the bucket with ice twice a day and it kept my milk nice and cool.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:32 PM

I've had the problem of no ice bucket in a hotel. I've had the problem of the ice machine not working. I've been in hotels that won't provide ice at all unless you purchase a bottle of something from them. I have not had a problem with the bags, they fit well enough inside the bucket to carry it with the bag to the machine, like everyone else does, and then wrap the top of the bag around the machine's spout if it won't go over the rim of the bucket. If I didn't have a bag, and I wanted to consume the ice, I might go wash the thing out first, but usually I just use the ice to keep something cold. That is not to say little things at hotels never bother me, I hate those drapes you can't quite shut and a little ray of light comes through in the morning aimed right at my eyes. But ice bucket problems don't get me all het up, I'll just drink stuff warm if I have to.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:38 PM

Straight-jacket sheets OK then?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Straight-jacket sheets OK then?
Sheets can be pulled out. I don't want them tucked in anyway.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Because drunks often vomit in the ice buckets. Thats what the bag is for. I've been given more than one degree for bringing back the bucket full of ice not lined with the bag by fellow guests who know better.
I can't believe I've never made that connection. It's a perfect hotel vomit receptacle. That's a great tip.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Why not call the concierge (or front desk) and ask?
Even better: call the people who sell or buy them.

Quick answer...(drum roll)...
CLEAR PLASTIC ICE BUCKET LINERS

Keep your ice buckets clean and sanitary while providing your guests with the assurance of safe use. Fits 1 to 3 qt. buckets. 12x12" size. 1000/case.
National Hospitality
http://www.nathosp.com/product/cjr50...and_room_trays
Old 07-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Old old thread but here's another factor that people seem to have missed: some people like their ice to go. They'll travel with a cooler and keep food inside it during the day. Each morning they can throw a new bag of ice inside.
Sure, but I use a gallon-size ziplock bag I bring with me. It's less likely to spill all over the inside of your cooler.