The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-12-2006, 10:45 PM

Eyes changing color in multiple personality disorder patients

Another thread about David Bowie's eye color sparked this question.

I remember hearing somewhere that the eyes of some people with multiple personality disorder can actually change color in accordance with whatever personality is currently manifesting itself. I'm quite sure that this is a crock, but stranger things have happened, so I was wondering if there is any concrete proof of such a thing?

What I'm finding on the web is from questionable sources, but evidently, (according to these web sites) there's a whole laundry list of things that can happen after a personality switch. Scars can appear, or burn marks, cysts, some switch left- and right-handedness, mutliple female personalities can result in multiple menstrual cycles, a child personality can overdose on an adult dose of meds, etc.

How much of it is hooey?
Advertisements  
Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 PM

I would guess 100%, especially since "Sybil"-style multiple personalities don't really happen.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Long ago, I dated a woman whose eyes would change color depending on he mood. They were usually a hazel, but they would turn blue when she was happy and they turned a dull brown when we broke up. I suppose that the eye color of people diagnosed with MPD might change depending on their personality.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzaway
Scars can appear, or burn marks, cysts, some switch left- and right-handedness, mutliple female personalities can result in multiple menstrual cycles, a child personality can overdose on an adult dose of meds, etc.

How much of it is hooey?
None of the listed events are possible, with the possible exception of interchanging chirality (the fancy term for handedness). Even that would most likely be an affectation, and not a physical result of a putative switch in personality. In any case, there is considerable evidence that MPD as a diagnosis is of dubious value.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:24 PM

"I would guess 100%, especially since "Sybil"-style multiple personalities don't really happen."

"there is considerable evidence that MPD as a diagnosis is of dubious value."

No spit.

Have I been duped by Hollywood once again?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Cecil on MPD
Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzaway
"I would guess 100%, especially since "Sybil"-style multiple personalities don't really happen."

"there is considerable evidence that MPD as a diagnosis is of dubious value."

No spit.

Have I been duped by Hollywood once again?
Let me put it this way: Me, Myself, and Irene was not based on a true story, even in the Hollywood notion of 'true'.

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing a website that claims a burn can appear and disappear solely due to a person's state of mind. Someone capable of doing that could probably get mondo bucks from pulling the old 'stigmata' gag.