Wallace & Gromit: What does "Chuck" mean?

In the short film A Close Shave, Wendolyn calls Wallace ‘Chuck’, so I thought that was his given name. But in the feature length Curse Of The Were-Rabbit Wallace calls Gromit by the name ‘Chuck’ in one scene. Is it a term of endearment? Or did I mis-hear?

Yes, it’s a term of endearment used in the north of England, roughly equivalent to the American “buddy”, but without the sarcastic overtones. (“Move your car, buddy!”)

Often Chooky-egg, Chook etc- from Chicken/Chick.

A contestant on Big Brother a couple of years ago who came from the North East used the full word Chicken about her ‘friend’ in the house.

I thought she called him “duck”? :confused: In Curse of the Were-Rabbit the love interest calls people duck/ducks doesn’t she? (Or, am I brain farting and mis-remembering?)

Oh, weird. I just watched that. I mean, ten minutes ago. (Got the “Crackling Collection” on DVD, and I just watched the three shorts so we can lend the DVDs out to a friend.)

Um. That’s all I have to say. Although I’m going to call my husband “chuck” from now on.

My mother used to call me duck, or ducks, as a term of endearment.

“Duck” is also appropriate. Note to Americans: “chuck” and “duck” should rhyme with “took”, not “puck”. And Savannah, that should be “cracking”, not “crackling”: “cracking” means great, wonderful, fantastic. By 'eck.

Ignore this northern propaganda. (I have a Yorkshire friend who emigrated, and has taken three years to learn how to pronounce ‘bucks’ without sounding like a tourist)

Calling people ‘chuck’ is one of Cilla Black’s trademarks, IIRC. Isn’t it more of a northwestern than a northeastern thing?

It’s also the reason why the nickname “Chuck” is used for “Charles.” Essentially, “chuck” meant “dear one” (it’s a reference to the gesture of “chucking under the chin”: a gesture made to one you love). It was used originally for any loved one, but attached itself to the name “Charles”; I’d guess because they start with the same sound.

One who knows. :wink:

Cracking Collection it is, Chuck!

Thanks for the input everyone.

With regard to “Buddy” I have to point out that it doesn’t carry sarcastic overtones unless it’s obviously enunciated that way. It can also be a term of endearment. I’ve heard fathers calling their new baby sons “buddy”.

This term is also used in The Wrong Trousers. Wallace gives a birthday present to Gromit and says, “Happy birthday, chuck!”

I’d always thought it was “chook” as in “chicken.”

“Chook” as in “chicken” is more Australian than British.

Chook brings to mind the chook cannon mod from Doom II. Or maybe it was Doom. Whichever, I remember haivng a great time coming up with replacement sounds for the guns and baddies in that game with my sister’s old boyfriend.

mmmmm BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!

Grand, pet. 'Ave a lard butty.

I happend to be in Peru with some Brits. One of them refered to Machu Pichu as some “cracking crumblies”. That has been a term that I have used ever since.

Is British slang really better than American, or does it just sound that way to us Yanks?

I agree . Here in the East Midlands duck (the favourite term of endearment) rhymes with puck

I think so. I mean, do the Yanks have anything as brilliant as rhyming slang?