34 Hours in San Francisco

Hi all, since I had a credit with Air Canada, I’m now going to be in SFO from noon on Friday the 31st of March until 2200 on the 1st of April.

I have plans for the Exploratorium, walking the Golden Gate Bridge, doing the Alcatraz tour ( picking up a T-shirt for misnomer at the same time), and buying x-rated fortune cookies in Chinatown.

I’m wondering if any Bay - area dopers want to grab a drink at Grandviews (since I’ll be in the Grand Hyatt anyway) on Friday night.

Otherwise, any suggestions for quick, and preferably cheap, things to do would be appreciated.

Someone? Anyone?

Well, one more try.

If anyone wants to grab a drink, let me know.

Sorry, I’m in S. Cal. but I hope you enjoy your visit. Go down the windiest road in the world (good OG, I can’t remember the name but obviously it’s quite famous).
I’m not sure about the Exploratorium, but the other museums are worth a look. If you could get tickets to Beach Blanket Babylon for Friday night, I think you might enjoy it. There’s nothing like a walk on the Great Beach if it’s a sunny day. The Wharf area is just ripe with tourist-y things. Ghiardelli Square. Crab cocktail. Sourdough bread. SF people are gonna rip me apart, but I honestly haven’t been up there in awhile, so obviously I’m not the best source of info. Have fun!

Having been to San Francisco in much the same circumstances as you (that is, with very little time), I’d advise getting in touch with the Alcatraz people now, if you really want to see it. The tours book up a few days in advance, and if you do not have a booking, you’re not going to the island.

But that’s not such a bad thing. I had a great time enjoying the tourist pier (Pier 39? I cannot remember), and walking through the city. Watch the sea lions in the bay. Get in line for the cable car ride early, or take the California Avenue cable car, which is much less crowded than the one that runs from the waterfront. If you have a car, drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, just to say you’ve done it. Visit Muir Woods, in Marin County, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. The Maritime Museum, not far from Fisherman’s Wharf.

Quick and cheap? Just have fun. There is plenty by the waterfront to keep you occupied, and plenty to make you want to return. Let’s put it this way–my then girlfriend and I went to San Francisco (BTW, never call it “Frisco.”) She’s now my wife, and San Francisco is on our list of places to go back to. So many things we didn’t get to do, but we will someday. Have fun!

I’m going to be in SoCal that weekend so drinks are out, but beckwall’s suggestions are okay. Just because they’re touristy, doesn’t make them bad. Beach Blanket is a kick, and worth seeing.
A sourdough bread bowl filled with clam chowder is heaven on earth; the wharf area has lots of that, as well as some pretty interesting and unusual shops. Be sure to go to the end of the wharf and see the seals.
You can also walk to the cable cars from there. Take the CC’s to Union Square get out and look around. Union Square is basically a big outdoor shopping mall so unless you’re into that sort of thing, it might not be terribly interesting. But the square itself is okay. Chinatown’s a couple of blocks north from there, so you might want to walk go pick up those fortune cookies. If you want to skip Union Square, there are CC’s that go closer to Chinatown.

Lombard street is the zig-zag road. It’s free and quick so you might be able to fit it in.

The Exploratorium is great, and since the Steinhardt Aquarium/Natural History Museum is being re-built, it’s the only decent science-y museum in the City right now.

If you have any interest in art, the De Young art museum in Golden Gate Park has been re-built and was just opened a couple months ago. SFMOMA is good too, and near the Sony Metreon and Moscone center. Although I must say, San Jose’s museum of art is my favorite art museum in the Bay Area, which is amazing since it’s free.

Avoid the zoo right now, it’s a great zoo, but they’re doing a lot of construction so it’s a bit messy.

If you like to take walks, go to Golden Gate park early in the morning, get out of the rental car, and just start walking. You do NOT have to stay on the sidewalk! Get off the beaten path and explore. There’s lots of little hidden gems in GGP, little gardens, memorials, ponds, streams, the Strybing Arboretum is beautiful (and free when you get there early), as is the Japanese Tea garden. I generally prefer the east side of the park, but there is some construction going on so it’s a little messed up.

Actually, if you’re out walking the east side of the park, and if you’re willing to walk a little further…

The Haight is always interesting, even if you’re not a hippie. In fact, if you really want to “experience” San Francisco, then I’d say that walking down Haight street is the one must-see locale. Parking during the weekend can be murder, but there are lots of interesting stores with real SF flavor. There’s an unusual restaurant there called Cha-cha-cha’s which is pretty good.

Speaking of restaurants, I implore you not to go to any recognizeable chain restaurant like Olive Garden, McDonalds, Denny’s or whatever. Be daring. There are a lot of great eats in the city, and not just seafood either.

Obvisouly, I love the City. It can be a pain to drive in since a lot of streets are one way and left turns are not allowed at a lot of the intersections (three rights make a left). But other than that, it’s a great place to see.

Dress warm. Have a great time!

Bomzaway, I am definitely going to let you know the next time my wife and I are in San Francisco. Sounds like there is a lot we have yet to see and do.

IMHO your best bet is to do these as part of the same excursion from your hotel, and it’s probably best to leave it until Saturday (unless you have tons of energy on Friday when you arrive).

If you don’t have too much luggage, the best way of getting to SF from the airport (I’m assuming you’re flying into SFO) is via BART. Get off at the Powell St Station and walk 3 blocks up Stockton (gentle uphill slope), and you’re at the Grand Hyatt.

There’s plenty of stuff to see and do within a few minutes’ walk of your hotel, especially if you don’t mind hills. Union Square, the Tenderloin, Chinatown, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill, and Fisherman’s Wharf are all within the “pizza slice” defined by Market St and Van Ness Ave (the edges of the slice) and the bayfront between the Wharf and the Ferry Building (the “crust”). You can also cross Market St for the bars and clubs of SOMA (South of Market). All of the above are within walking distance for a fit person.

My recommendation for the Golden Gate Bridge walk is as follows: take the Golden Gate Transit bus #10 (click on “To Marin City - Northbound (WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS)” for the schedule if you’re doing it on the Saturday). This starts out at 7th & Market on the weekends, which is about 1.2km from the Grand Hyatt. Pay $3.25 into the farebox (use exact change - dollar bills are accepted). This bus will take you out to, and across, the Golden Gate Bridge. Get off at the first stop once you’ve crossed the bridge (ring the bell and walk up front just as you’re leaving the bridge: you may be the only person getting off at that stop, since most tourists don’t know about this option). Walk back a couple of hundred meters, and you’re at Vista Point (good for photos of SF). Then walk back across the GG Bridge (you’ll be on the east side, with views of Alcatraz, SF, Oakland, and Berkeley). Once across the bridge, keep to the left and walk downhill at the earliest possible point, and you’ll end up on SF’s northern waterfront at Crissy Field, with continuous spectacular views of the Bay, Alcatraz, and Angel Island. Looking east, you’ll see the Beaux Arts dome of the Palace of Fine Arts, which is right next to the Exploratorium, about a 2km walk away.

[By taking the bus outbound and walking back, you save time by not having to retrace your steps, and you don’t have to wait in a remote location for a bus back towards your hotel. A fit person ought to be able to walk back from the northern end of the GG Bridge to the Grand Hyatt, but if you get tired there are plenty of transportation options once you’re back closer to downtown. If you start out walking to the GG Bridge, you’re more likely to run out of steam in an area where you have fewer public transit options.]

Once you’ve done the Exploratorium, you can walk all the way round the waterfront (Fort Mason, Fisherman’s Wharf for the boat to Alcatraz that you’ll have pre-booked, then Pier 39, then around Embarcadero to the Ferry Building) at water level, or head up from the Wharf via Columbus Avenue (North Beach), to Grant Avenue and Chinatown, on your way back to your hotel.

You’re probably already aware that for the things that you’ve expressed an interest in, renting a car is counterproductive. SF has one of the best transit systems in North America (although there’s a Balkanaization between different transit agencies, which is why you’ll need a different ticket to cross the Golden Gate Bridge from the ones that get you around the City).

If you think that you’ll want to be doing a lot of transit-riding (especially cable cars, which can get expensive at $5 per trip), you might want to look into a MUNI 1-day Passport for $11 for the Saturday. Note that this won’t work on the GGT bus #10 I linked to above, nor get you between SF and the airport. The MUNI bus map is here (warning: PDF).

Keep posting with more details as to your likes and dislikes; depending on your interests and hill-walking abilities, I’m sure that betwen now and March 31 we can come up with 34 hours straight of non-stop San Francisco-y goodness for you!

Sorry I clipped most of your post, but my Og, you should write for gudebooks!

I was actually planning on the 3 day Muni Passport (better value for the buck), and BART from SFO.

The Golden Gate Bridge walk suggestion will be taken, thanks. One thing I might be interested in is Treasure Island. No car, so if transit options are available, that would be cool.

On the Exploratorium, does anyone think the Tactile Dome is worth it? Yes, I’m over 30 but just a big kid.

Any thoughts on the Bay Area Model? Anyone know the Mythbusters? I know that’s a stretch.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Matt

The (Scottish) Presbyterian ministers on my father’s side of the family tree would probably have said that there’s only one “Gude Book”, but I’ll happily accept the compliment!

I’m probably micromanaging here… the MUNI passport doesn’t cover BART to/from SFO, and I was thinking that it might be your first trip to SF (in which case there are a multitude of things that you’d want to see/do within walking distance of the hotel), so you probably wouldn’t even need the Passport on Friday. (A single bus/light rail ticket is $1.50, and the free transfer that comes with it is good for two hours in any direction). The cable cars, at $5 a trip with no transfers (unless you buy a $10 cable car day pass) are what rack up the $$ from the tourists, and justify a Passport for at least one day. In any case – 1-day pass or 3-day pass – you’re not going to win or lose by much in 34 hours, so go for what feels best!

Here are the schedules for MUNI route 108 from the Transbay Terminal (1st and Mission) to Treasure Island. It’s a 15-minute trip in each direction, running every ~20 minutes on Saturdays. The fare will be covered by your MUNI passport.

Assuming that you mean the Bay Model run by the US Army Corps of Engineers in Sausalito, I’d rate it as a “B-list” attraction at best, unless you’re a real Civil Engineering Geek. You can take the GGT bus #10 (as mentoned in my earlier post) there, but if you’re planning on doing the GG Bridge walk plus the Exploratorium plus the Alcatraz tour plus Treasure Island, you’re going to be running out of time and the Bay Model is IMHO the one you should leave for a future visit. It’s just not that impressive, whereas the walk across the Golden Gate Bridge is something that you’ll remember forever. [I **never** tire of that walk!]

In your OP, you mentioned the Grandviews bar at the Hyatt. Since I’m never one for hotel bars (except in out-of-the-way places where they might actually serve as the local meeting place), I’d recommend within walking distance:

[ul]
[li]The Edinburgh Castle on Geary (~1km from hotel by foot); Scottish, full of character, good beer selection, but none brewed on-site. Food is fish-n’-chips from place across the street.[/li][li]The 21st Amendment (~1.7km from hotel) – good typical brewpub, i.e. good local beer + pub food.[/li][li]The San Francisco Brewing Company, near where North Beach meets Chinatown (~1.2km from hotel); brewpub, typical, as above. If you end up walking from Fisherman’s Wharf (i.e. Alcatraz Ferry) back to your hotel, it’s pretty much on your way.[/li][/ul]
[The above pubs are all independent, i.e. not corporate/chain places, and all within easy walk from your hotel. Other recommendations forthcoming, depending on your specific tastes! Also, recommendations for restaurants etc. can be provided by the numerous Bay Area Dopers, depending on your preferences!

[BTW, is it your first time here?]

Antonius Block, thank you very much for this information. My wife and I will be in SF in April for a conference- our second time there- and I’ve gotten a lot of good ideas from the info you’ve put up here. We didn’t get to see the NW part of the city last time we were there, so your advice about the Golden Gate was spot-on for us.

We had some semi-local guides the last time we were there, but we were pretty time-restricted so we couldn’t stray too far from the hotel/convention center. This time around I’m looking forward to stretching our legs a bit. Thanks again!

Sorry, mcott, will be working, but have a few thoughts.

1. To see Alcatraz, you definitely need to book ahead. Opinions on the The Rock are split. Myself, I think it’s hugely overrated. Best thing about it is the view of the skyline, and that’s easy to do other ways. Meanwhile, you have to buy a ticket for a specific time, and that becomes an albatross on your flexibility for the whole day. I’d save that for next time.

2. Not sure how the Exploratoreum got to the top of your list either. No mistake, it’s a lot of fun, but not something I’d try to pack into a whirlwind tour. As for your other question, haven’t done the dome (always been sold out when I was there), but hear it’s a kick.

3. If you like to bicycle, that’s probably the best way to see SF. Would enable you to cover more ground with less effort than walking. Generally faster, even, than mass transit. Bikes are available for rent from many locations.

Many ways to put the pieces together. Here’s what I’d do. I’m going to assume you either have or will get a map. Even if you have a good sense of direction, this city has too many dead-ends and non-through streets to wing it.

Friday afternoon: Walk through Chinatown and North Beach. In Chinatown, start at Grant & Bush; that’s where the tourist shops are; head north. But, at Jackson, go left (west) up the hill to Stockton; this is where you’ll find the real Chinatown, i.e., where the Chinese shop. Go right (north) and you’ll have two blocks of this, which is plenty.

Next, cross Broadway and amble through North Beach. Look at menus, with a view to picking a place for dinner. Now, climb Telegraph Hill, on which sits Coit Tower. From NB, easiest approach is to zig-zag over to Kearny, at the top of which are steps leading to a path to the top of the hill. View from top of tower not much better than from the foot, and is plexiglassed in; I don’t take visitors up unless they insist. Having worked up an appetite, go back to NB for dinner. If Beach Blanket Babylon interests you, it’s in this neighborhood (buy tickets in advance, of course.) Or there are quite a few clubs with live music, everything from rock to jazz. You can cab back to the hotel or walk down Stockton (through the tunnel).

Saturday: From your hotel, go down to Powell & Market. Catch cable car to Fisherman’s Wharf; the earlier you go, the shorter the line will be. Get the Powell & Hyde car, not Powell & Mason; the former is much more scenic. If you get to the front of the line and they’re loading a Mason car, let people go ahead of you and wait for the next car (they alternate). Sit outside; it’s half the fun. This car will pass the top of the crooked part of Lombard; you can get off and walk down a sidewalk beside it if you like, then walk the remaining few blocks (downhill) to the Wharf. Whether to do the Wharf itself is up to you; just be aware it’s very touristy. But, if you’re doing Alcatraz, you have at least to walk through it. Alternatively, you could take a bay cruise on one of the fishing boats that pull out from Beach between Jones and Taylor. As I said, the view of The City from the water is the best part of the Alcatraz tour and you get that from a bay cruise, don’t need a reservation and won’t be tied down by one.

Now, on to the GG Bridge. One way, as mentioned, is to rent a bike. Nice paths along the waterfront (be sure to go out on Aquatic Pier, just before climbing the hill into Fort Mason), through the Marina, passing near the Exploratoreum, and over the Bridge. Can bike back or continue on to Sausalito. Advantage of the latter (it’s mostly downhill) is that you can ferry back to the City. In which event, don’t bother with the bay cruise; return the bike and cab or mass transit to your next destination. Alternatively, from Aquatic Park (where the cable car drops you off) to the Bridge is very walkable; pretty much the same path as by bike (don’t miss that pier), so also passing near the Exploratoreum.

And, on this itinerary, that’s the biggest decision you have to make. Whether on bike or foot, you can do the Exploratoreum or GG Park, but not both. I’d take the latter, especially if on bike. From the Bridge, you get to the western end of the park on Lincoln Blvd and the views along the way are spectacular. Best path through the park starts at the SW corner. Be sure to see the Japanese Tea Garden and the Conservatory of Flowers. Probably not enough time for the de Young (next trip). East from the park is Haight-Ashbury which may or not interest you. To get back to the Wharf (to return the bike), take Haight (east) to Polk; turn left (north). On foot, call for a cab from the Bridge and have it drop you at the Garden; the 29 bus would take you the right direction, but on a whirlwind I take speed over cheap. Or you can stick with your original plan and do GG Park next time.

Hope that helps. And have fun!

Reading that over, I’m having second thoughts. To bike from the Bridge to GG Park and see the sights there is pretty ambitious, especially since you have to get back to the Wharf to return the bike. So, unless you’re a very strong rider, if I’ve persuaded you to put off the Exploratoreum to next time, I’d recommend the pedal over to Sausalito route. As I said, return the bike, then catch a cab to the Japanese Tea Garden. Now you can take your time, then proceed directly to dinner. There’s a hidden gem out there, by the way. Eos, at Cole and Carl. Very good and completely off the tourist radar screen. Yes, you’ll need a reservation; call once you’ve gotten to the Garden, so you know your timing (as you’ve doubtless noticed, I’m big on not letting reservations box me in); if they’re booked, go somewhere else.

I’m going to print out this thread and most likely use it as a tour guide.

Let this serve as notice that I’ll be at Grandviews at about 1900 on the 1st of April.

I will do the Golden Gate walk from West to East, as recomended by the dude Antonius Block, on the Friday, and I’ve booked the Rock for Saturday.

As long as the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Company will put stupid/rude fortunes in 100 cookies for 20 bucks, my time in SFO is golden.

Once again, thanks, all.