The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2006, 08:04 AM
George Kaplin George Kaplin is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 893
Board Lore: The mysterious demise of WallyM7

In this thread, hajaro writes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaro
I'm curious but was it verified that the guy really did die or could it have been a fake like our own WallyM7? This has no bearing on whether or not those kids were jerks but I am just wondering. Anyway, I hope that when I die in real life people get some amusement out of it.
Now, whoever WallyM7 is/was his demise (real or imagined) was a bit before my time. However, intrigued by hajaro's statement, I did a quick search and came up with lots of threads mourning the passing of a prolific and seemingly popular doper.

Yet hajaro isn't the only poster I've seen stating that WallyM7 didn't really die. In fact, the increasing prevalence of such statements as his coupled with a complete lack of objection from anyone else leads me to believe that this is actually the majority opinion.

So what really happened to WallyM7.
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:15 AM
PunditLisa PunditLisa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: 'burbs of Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,364
WallyM7 was a prolific and fairly popular poster. One day, it was announced that Wally had died. IIRC, his "daughter" came in and reported that he had slipped and fallen in a freak accident and had died. The DopeWorld was stunned. Much virtual wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued, including multi-page memorials here. The Wally icon ("Putz") was created in his memory.

And then we find out months (years?) later that we'd all been had. WallyM7 wasn't really dead. Since he never came by to retract the news of his own death, one can only surmise that he was in on the prank. I really don't know. I do know that the report that his death was faked came more as a shock to me than the news of his death. It's like finding out that the cute and amusing Latka is, in reality, an off-center, slightly disturbed creep.

Anywho, that's all I can recall of the "WallyM7" incident. I'm sure others can fill in the blanks.
  #3  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Lissa Lissa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa
And then we find out months (years?) later that we'd all been had. WallyM7 wasn't really dead. Since he never came by to retract the news of his own death, one can only surmise that he was in on the prank. I really don't know. I do know that the report that his death was faked came more as a shock to me than the news of his death. It's like finding out that the cute and amusing Latka is, in reality, an off-center, slightly disturbed creep.
WHAT????

I never knew it was a fake. All these years, whenever I've come across a Wally thread, I've been a little sad and nostalgic.

How was it found out? How in the hell did I miss this?
__________________
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
  #4  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:44 AM
CarnalK CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
It was never proven one way or another. However, none of the Dopers in his home town were invited to/notified of the memorial or even heard about the industrial accident. The mods don't really like discussion of the old wound because many (like Lissa) are rather nostalgic of the old plagerist. My homepage has links to previous discussions.
  #5  
Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Una Persson Una Persson is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: On the dance floor.
Posts: 14,932
An added bit to the mystery is that apparently someone logged in as him under his account several months after his death. Now this could have been a family member, or someone with access to his computer who just happened to decide that the logical thing to do with a dead family member's computer is to visit all the web sites they used to frequent.

At one time I had an industry contact in the Canadian government, and I made an inquiry as to whether any workplace accident as was described occured in that month. No such accident had been "officially" reported as happening, which is not proof in that it is not unknown for even fatal industrial accidents to be mis-reported or mis-filed - or not filed at all. At that point I decided I didn't care enough to check any further, as it would verge on stalking someone.

These things do not prove he was a fake by any means, but they cast serious doubt on his reality. Over the years many people have been suggested as the "real" identity, and many unsavoury rumours have been floated around as to why he suddenly had to leave (if he was a fake), most of them involving sexual escapades with other doper, secret agents in black helicopters, child porn, scientology, and other things much worse. Many bits of info and "evidence" have been floated about, including a well-done but obviously fake chat log where he outs himself as Ed Zotti, and a fake transcript of an e-mail chain with his ISP where they reveal that "Wally" was actually dialing in from the San Francisco Bay Area to a Canadian ISP.

It's one of those mysteries that will never be answered barring someone presenting more and verifiable evidence.
  #6  
Old 03-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Una Persson Una Persson is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: On the dance floor.
Posts: 14,932
...I also think it's odd that the Google ads in this thread say:
Quote:
What was Hitler's fate?
Suicide? Escape? This compelling book tells the story.
www.HitlersEscape.com
Obviously, there's the answer. WallyM7 was Der Führer.
  #7  
Old 03-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Fish Cheer Fish Cheer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Una Persson
Obviously, there's the answer. WallyM7 was Der Führer.
Which adds another possible explanation for his sudden disappearance. Apart from the obligatory black helicopters, this one would probably involve black kippahs.
  #8  
Old 03-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Smeghead Smeghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
How was it found out? How in the hell did I miss this?
Probably because I believe most of the detective work was done on various off-board sites. The PTB kind of declared the whole thing off-limits here for a while.
  #9  
Old 03-26-2006, 01:06 PM
tomndebb tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 36,573
Quote:
most of them involving sexual escapades with other doper, secret agents in black helicopters, child porn, scientology, and other things much worse.
What could be worse than scientology?

As noted, it is not a recommended topic on the SDMB. Aside from the reasons given, there is also the fact that several partisans of the "Wally died" vs "Wally was a fake" feud have frequently resorted to abusive posts, some here, many on off-site boards. At this point, the topic always has the potential to descend immediately into personal attacks--an event that we prefer to not encourage.

There is nothing wrong with asking the question, but there is enough history and antagonism among the partisans that many earlier submissions of the question have led to locked threads.
  #10  
Old 03-26-2006, 01:15 PM
StGermain StGermain is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Toon Town
Posts: 9,418
wow - I was unaware of all of this, too. Gosh.

StG
  #11  
Old 03-26-2006, 01:51 PM
GingerOfTheNorth GingerOfTheNorth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Una Persson
Obviously, there's the answer. WallyM7 was Der Führer.
Man, I hate Hitler.
  #12  
Old 03-26-2006, 02:05 PM
astro astro is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Here's a fathom board thread on it about 3 years ago
  #13  
Old 03-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Una Persson Una Persson is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: On the dance floor.
Posts: 14,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb
What could be worse than scientology?

As noted, it is not a recommended topic on the SDMB. Aside from the reasons given, there is also the fact that several partisans of the "Wally died" vs "Wally was a fake" feud have frequently resorted to abusive posts, some here, many on off-site boards. At this point, the topic always has the potential to descend immediately into personal attacks--an event that we prefer to not encourage.

There is nothing wrong with asking the question, but there is enough history and antagonism among the partisans that many earlier submissions of the question have led to locked threads.
Right. The point I'm making is that it's a pretty rich piece of "Board Lore" that there's pretty much no truth or dirty inside information on. The facts are very scarce, and to tell the truth, given how quickly people drop in and out of boards it's not especially unusual for people to "leave" a board for some reason or another. I gave a couple of examples of crazy stuff that gets passed around, that no one really believes. For example, I don't think anyone believes that WallyM7 is Ed (although I do know that TubaDiva and Lynn Bodoni are the same person...I mean, when I met TubaDiva last she had a lower back tattoo that said "Lynn"; what else could that imply, really?).
  #14  
Old 03-26-2006, 05:12 PM
GingerOfTheNorth GingerOfTheNorth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
There's an awful lot of stuff that gets passed around that is completely false. There's really no way to substantiate most of it.

And, I still hate Hitler. The jerk.
  #15  
Old 03-26-2006, 05:31 PM
silenus silenus is online now
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41,180
I thought Lynn was really Giraffe. Shows what I know.
  #16  
Old 03-26-2006, 05:44 PM
GIGObuster GIGObuster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerOfTheNorth
Man, I hate Hitler.
Me too, Jiminy Cricket also hates him:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=185
  #17  
Old 03-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,649
Man, that Jiminy Cricket....could he sing, or what?
  #18  
Old 03-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Omniscient Omniscient is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 16,291
Hmmm, news to me, and I'm not exactly new here. Can't say I had much invested it either way, but the mystery around the story comes totally out of left field for me.

Not to get too much of a dialogue going on it, but it seems a little weird for such an elaborate ruse that never had any future impact. Why bother if not to exploit it later, and it's not like Wally was a particularly outlandish poster.

Weird indeed.
  #19  
Old 03-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Diane Diane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
Hmmm, news to me, and I'm not exactly new here. Can't say I had much invested it either way, but the mystery around the story comes totally out of left field for me.

Not to get too much of a dialogue going on it, but it seems a little weird for such an elaborate ruse that never had any future impact. Why bother if not to exploit it later, and it's not like Wally was a particularly outlandish poster.

Weird indeed.
Elaborate ruse? Naw, it was just someone who invested a lot of untruths into a message board and needed an escape. WallyM7, or at least the person behind the online persona never died. I'll bet my right arm on it.
  #20  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Omniscient Omniscient is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 16,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane
Elaborate ruse? Naw, it was just someone who invested a lot of untruths into a message board and needed an escape. WallyM7, or at least the person behind the online persona never died. I'll bet my right arm on it.
Well, it's not as if Wally only posted Rue De Day-esque tales plagerized from other sources. He did alot of typical banter and advice giving. In large part he was just a avid poster with an apparent wit.

Had he cultivated a persona of a larger-than-life individual with grand tales I might agree.

The "death" along with "daughter" sock puppet seems like a lot of extra effort just for someone to step away from a online character. Someone who'd go to those lengths to make a grand exit seems like the type who'd have pooped up again in order to capitalize on such an effective put-on.

We've had trolls and plenty of people with phony personas, Wally wasn't some shortlived person who just decided to move on it seemed. I just have a hard time contriving a motivation for it.

Incidentally, this is the first I'd heard he was a rampant plagarist. It just sounds weirder and weirder to me.
  #21  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Ruffian Ruffian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Quote:
WHAT????

I never knew it was a fake. All these years, whenever I've come across a Wally thread, I've been a little sad and nostalgic.

How was it found out? How in the hell did I miss this?
Count me in with Lissa. I remember Wally's death from...what is it now, 6 years ago? ...and I don't recall EVER hearing anyone say he faked it.

But I will say this...part of me has wondered for a very long time if he *did* fake it. He may have gotten himself involved in ways he regretted (not going into details) and it was the only easy escape he could find.

Yah gotta wonder. Weird.
  #22  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Agent Foxtrot Agent Foxtrot is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
From what I heard, WallyM17 would copy large sections out of some humor book for his posts. Apparently, the authors of the book found out and contacted the admins.

That's all I know. A lot of dopers got had by Kaitlyn. Don't see why the same thing couldn't happen with Wally.


Adam
  #23  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Lynn Bodoni Lynn Bodoni is offline
Creature of the Night
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 20,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
I thought Lynn was really Giraffe. Shows what I know.
There's an easy way to tell us apart. I'm just a whisper over five feet tall. Giraffe is taller. WAY taller.
  #24  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Lynn Bodoni Lynn Bodoni is offline
Creature of the Night
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 20,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Una Persson
Right. The point I'm making is that it's a pretty rich piece of "Board Lore" that there's pretty much no truth or dirty inside information on. The facts are very scarce, and to tell the truth, given how quickly people drop in and out of boards it's not especially unusual for people to "leave" a board for some reason or another. I gave a couple of examples of crazy stuff that gets passed around, that no one really believes. For example, I don't think anyone believes that WallyM7 is Ed (although I do know that TubaDiva and Lynn Bodoni are the same person...I mean, when I met TubaDiva last she had a lower back tattoo that said "Lynn"; what else could that imply, really?).
TubaDiva is taller than I am, too. And she has red hair. In fact, I might be the shortest person on the moderation staff.
  #25  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Diane Diane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
Well, it's not as if Wally only posted Rue De Day-esque tales plagerized from other sources. He did alot of typical banter and advice giving. In large part he was just a avid poster with an apparent wit.

Had he cultivated a persona of a larger-than-life individual with grand tales I might agree.

The "death" along with "daughter" sock puppet seems like a lot of extra effort just for someone to step away from a online character. Someone who'd go to those lengths to make a grand exit seems like the type who'd have pooped up again in order to capitalize on such an effective put-on.

We've had trolls and plenty of people with phony personas, Wally wasn't some shortlived person who just decided to move on it seemed. I just have a hard time contriving a motivation for it.

Incidentally, this is the first I'd heard he was a rampant plagarist. It just sounds weirder and weirder to me.


If you followed his story on and off the board, you would see that most of the witty things that he posted were stollen. I first became suspicious when he posted the Wally Tried Cybersex thread. Interestingly, I had that same story, with a few changes, printed out in my joke file drawer in my office desk long before he posted it on the SDMB. There were some other things, including his sigs that he "wrote" for others, that I had seen elsewhere. It got to the point that anytime he wrote something, I would do an internet search to see if it was already out there somewhere and most of the time it was (the sigs, cybersex story, the story about the hampster. . . .).

I wasn't the only one to notice something was off. I think other people started calling him on his plagarized stories - I personally emailed him and asked him, nicely, about the hampster story that I found online. He never responded.

I think there were other things that made him feel he had gotten in over his head and so he took the easy, cowardly way out. IMHO, he created Amy and introduced "her" to the boards so that he would have someone to announce his death.

I had him on my ICQ and saw him log in after his death. I don't think it was an elaborate scheme, I think he was merely a poster who amused the members of a message board with stollen stories. He was a pretty likable guy and made some friends here. I think his death was a way to cut ties.

Other posters tried to find some evidence of his death, the accident, anything. There is nothing out there. NOTHING.
  #26  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Eutychus Eutychus is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: On the windowsill
Posts: 7,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike
Man, that Jiminy Cricket....could he sing, or what?
You do realize that only about three of us are going to catch that.
  #27  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:50 PM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is online now
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 28,732
I caught it - am I the third?
  #28  
Old 03-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Green Bean Green Bean is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: NJ, Exit #137
Posts: 10,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kaplin
In fact, the increasing prevalence of such statements as his coupled with a complete lack of objection from anyone else leads me to believe that this is actually the majority opinion.
I'm not sure that shows that this is "majority opinion." I suspect the majority have no opinion on the matter at all. Why would anyone argue that Wally really did die if they didn't have any real evidence of that?

I was around during WallyM7's reign, and I even have a WallyM7 sig. I was shocked and saddened by his death. Sometime in the last year or so, I noticed a couple of allusions to the possibility that Wally's death may have been a fake. That was the first I'd heard of it. I asked my brother, Billdo, what the deal was. He usually knows what's going on. He said "there seems to be reason to believe that WallyM7 didn't really die." "What's the reason?" I asked. "I don't really remember," he said. "That's weird," I said. "Why would he fake his own death?" "I dunno," said Bill. And that was that. I didn't care enough to look into it further. So, count me as one who has no opinion on the matter.
  #29  
Old 03-26-2006, 08:44 PM
GingerOfTheNorth GingerOfTheNorth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
But you still hate Hitler, right?
  #30  
Old 03-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni
There's an easy way to tell us apart. I'm just a whisper over five feet tall. Giraffe is taller. WAY taller.

He also has a prehensile tongue.
  #31  
Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Una Persson Una Persson is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: On the dance floor.
Posts: 14,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerOfTheNorth
But you still hate Hitler, right?
Sure we do.

Damn Hitler! Get off my lawn!
  #32  
Old 03-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 22,141
I had no idea his death wasn't confirmed either. I mean, we added the Wally smiley....I assumed someone here knew him in real life.
  #33  
Old 03-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Omniscient Omniscient is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 16,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane
If you followed his story on and off the board, you would see that most of the witty things that he posted were stollen.
What was there "off the board"? IIRC that was before the Fathom board no? Maybe in #straightdope chat, but what else was there?

Quote:
I think there were other things that made him feel he had gotten in over his head and so he took the easy, cowardly way out. IMHO, he created Amy and introduced "her" to the boards so that he would have someone to announce his death.
If there was a legal matter at hand and if these friends he made were starting to turn on him I can totally see him suddenly diappearing and everything. It's the "Amy" sock that's odd. IIRC she made an appearance many many months before his"death". If she was merely a contrivance to introduce his death story, it certain seems like there was an awful lot of forethought going on.
  #34  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 59,217
Quote:
I mean, we added the Wally smiley....I assumed someone here knew him in real life.
If I recall correctly, Wally never attended any SDMB events and nobody on the board, other than his daughter, ever claimed to have known him offline.
  #35  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:04 PM
hajario hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 13,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth
I had no idea his death wasn't confirmed either. I mean, we added the Wally smiley....I assumed someone here knew him in real life.
No one knew him in real life. A couple of dopers were going to be where he lived and meet him in real life. Right before this meeting he "died."
  #36  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 PM
hajario hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 13,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
It's the "Amy" sock that's odd. IIRC she made an appearance many many months before his"death".
It was only a couple of weeks.
  #37  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 12,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
IIRC she made an appearance many many months before his"death".
Nope. "Amy" registered on 6-05-00. Wally "died" on 6-20-00.

The notification thread is no longer available. I believe that the notification thread was made my a former mod (and current SDSAB member) from a phone call from another member who received an email notification from "Amy" that said that Wally had died.
  #38  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Omniscient Omniscient is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 16,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
Nope. "Amy" registered on 6-05-00. Wally "died" on 6-20-00.

The notification thread is no longer available. I believe that the notification thread was made my a former mod (and current SDSAB member) from a phone call from another member who received an email notification from "Amy" that said that Wally had died.
I see. Thanks.
  #39  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Kyla Kyla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
What was there "off the board"? IIRC that was before the Fathom board no? Maybe in #straightdope chat, but what else was there?
I talked to Wally in #sd at least a couple times. He seemed like a nice (and very funny) guy. He didn't only post plagiarized stories; most of his posts pretty ordinary.

I kept an eye on the Toronto newspaper obits for a time following his death. Never saw anything remotely resembling Wally. Doesn't really prove anything one way or the other, though.
  #40  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 12,616
And respectfully submitted for your perusal. . .

An earlier thread on the subject.
  #41  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:50 PM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
What was there "off the board"? IIRC that was before the Fathom board no?
No, Wally was a poster on Fathom, too. He had 350 posts there.
  #42  
Old 03-26-2006, 11:12 PM
dnooman dnooman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
Nope. "Amy" registered on 6-05-00. Wally "died" on 6-20-00.

The notification thread is no longer available. I believe that the notification thread was made my a former mod (and current SDSAB member) from a phone call from another member who received an email notification from "Amy" that said that Wally had died.
Post #4 will take you to the notification post. I think that a direct link might be verboten.
  #43  
Old 03-26-2006, 11:18 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,812
Opal Where did Wally's picture come from?

http://fathom.org/teemingmillions/wally.adp
  #44  
Old 03-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot
From what I heard, WallyM17 would copy large sections out of some humor book for his posts. Apparently, the authors of the book found out and contacted the admins.
Exhibit A
  #45  
Old 03-26-2006, 11:27 PM
OpalCat OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Opal Where did Wally's picture come from?

http://fathom.org/teemingmillions/wally.adp
It's been so long I don't even remember.
  #46  
Old 03-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Question-I thought they didn't find out about the plaigarism until after he died?
  #47  
Old 03-27-2006, 12:08 AM
bup bup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Ah, Wally...he was the only one among us who knew how to spell 'plagiarism.'

Which I guess is proof of something. I bet he copied it out of the dictionary.
  #48  
Old 03-27-2006, 12:12 AM
hajario hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 13,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat
No, Wally was a poster on Fathom, too. He had 350 posts there.
You really should remove that plagiarized piece from his memorial page.
  #49  
Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 AM
dnooman dnooman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Opal Where did Wally's picture come from?

http://fathom.org/teemingmillions/wally.adp
That can also be obtained from post #4's information.

There seems to be an aversion to the homepage of that poster. Possibly for good reason. I have no idea either way. Seems to be fairly comprehensive to me.

I've got no dog in this fight, nor have I been here that long, but it seems to me that the general consensus of those that have an opinion, is that there was some shady behavior going on. There seemed to be a greater number of people that vehemently defended Wally and his story a few years ago. Perhaps the preponderance of evidence (or lack thereof) has swayed a few of the lifers on the SDMB.

My personal theory, that I'm sure everyone is dying to hear, is that Wally decided to leave the board due to a personal life changing event (scandal, imprisonment, plagiarism accusations, anal warts, etc.) and decided to kill off his persona. His "daughter" would not feel compelled to post an obituary to strangers, since "her father" posted a great deal of plagiarized content, and he just happened to "die" weeks before he was to be met IRL. Maybe he could have been recognized?

Just my 2 cents.
  #50  
Old 03-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Idle Thoughts Idle Thoughts is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,476
Giraffe and Lynn the same person? Pfft. And here I thought from the history I read up on that it was andros and Gaudere who were.


[i]d&r[/o]
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.