The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 08-30-2000, 01:11 PM

(Bear with me, this is my first OP in the Pit...)

Am I the only one who is sick to death of the "cute" Comic Sans MS font? I've seen it everywhere, in e-mails, on web pages, even printed on flyers and newsletters.

STOP USING IT, PEOPLE! You're not being original, and it looks really immature and amateurish. ARGH!

Since it's a Microsoft-created font, I'm tempted to blame them, but I'm not flaming the font, but the people who use it.

GO FELCH YOURSELVES!

If you want to use something other than Times New Roman or a Courier font, try Arial. It's "untraditional" since it's sans-serif and easy to read, to boot. Comic Sans is not easy to read, unless you like reading the handwriting of a child for paragraphs at a time.

SQUICK OFF!

(Ah, I feel much better now.)

I asked and Cecil answered me.
Advertisements  
Old 08-30-2000, 01:30 PM

The most egregious use of that font I've been subjected to yet was when a manager of mine took about 100 pages of documentation I'd written for accounting procedures and changed the damn font to comic sans ms. I wasn't sure whether to be more pissed about that, or about the fact that she took my name off and inserted her own as author.
Old 08-30-2000, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

For some bizarre reason, my system has decided that when you copy text out of the "view" window in the document manager software and paste it into Word, the correct font is comic sans ms. If you think it looks stupid when used to be "cute" in an email, you should see it for paragraphs of boilerplate legalese....

lucie, maybe your boss actually had some kind of Word problem and didn't know how to change it back, in addition to having problems defining personal boundaries.
Old 08-30-2000, 02:08 PM

I'm getting sick of that font. My sister uses it in everything she makes. Ugh. I used to use it for small sections of my webpage (<shameless plug>http://www.stas.net/kinkajoy/</shameless plug> ) until I realized "Hey, you know what? THIS LOOKS STUPID!"

Oh, and I was also doing lettering work for a comic that I drew and scanned, so I used Comic sans MS. That's about the only place where I'd recommend it.

BTW, lucie, re: your manager replacing your name on the document; is that legal? If I were to do something like that in school, I'd get suspended/expelled! But then again, maybe you should be happy that your name isn't associated with 100 pages of accounting documentation written in that goofy font.
Old 08-30-2000, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

It does look childish. That is why I use it on the one site I use it on. http://fathom.org/nicky/ my almost-five-year-old's homepage.

I agree that it gets old, and it's misused a lot. And why does everyone seem to feel that it should always be BOLD? Grr. The one that really pisses me off, though, is ...um... Algerian? Is that the pointy one that's an outline font, and it's small caps? GRR. It's impossible to read except at headline sizes, yet people put their entire fucking page text in it!
Old 08-30-2000, 02:45 PM

I second Montfort on using Arial as an alternative. I use Arial nearly exclusively for my office's newsletter as well as other locally developed sales collaterals. THe company as a whole uses Arial as well as other similar sans-serif fonts such as Helvetica, Advance and a couple of others. Very easy to read and professional-looking.
Old 08-30-2000, 02:59 PM

I agree, the Comic Sans MS font is annoying. I frequently encounter coworkers professional correspondence in this font, they might as well use a crayon grasped in their fist. These same individuals recognize the need to wear professional attire for their positions, I just can't understand why they choose to use this font.
Old 08-30-2000, 03:17 PM

Heittenschweiler(sp?), all the way!

Mostly because it's just a cool sounding name!
Old 08-30-2000, 04:05 PM

I guess I just don't understand why someone would use that font.
It's true that he loved you all dearly.
Old 08-30-2000, 04:55 PM

Speaking of fonts, here's a tip for students. Verdana 12 point takes up more space on a page than Times New Roman 12 point.
Old 08-30-2000, 05:03 PM

A lot of the websites that use that font also use the color-cycling effeft. I want to tell them that two wrongs don't make a right.....
Old 08-30-2000, 05:16 PM

I like Garamond.
Old 08-30-2000, 05:40 PM

Well, I like it and use it a lot for work....but I teach Kindergarten, so it's appropriate. I use it to make nametags and worksheets and for labeling in the classroom. I also occasionally do my parent newsletters with it.

I do agree, though, in a business setting, you are better off with Times Roman or Ariel. Keep it simple, especially for something with lots and lots of text.
I also have a word processing business on the side (brochures, newsletters, reports, etc.) and use whatever is appropriate for each project. I have about 300 fonts in my Windows folder and over 500 stored on a CD.
Old 08-30-2000, 05:49 PM

I used Comic Sans once on a post card mailing my office was doing-- I chose it because we were trying to play up the informal nature of the event we were advertising. Now I'm as sick of it as the rest of you are, 'cause for a while after that, my boss (who is a wonderful lady, but was unaware that there were fonts beyond Times New Roman) adopted it as her favorite. She would recommend it every time anyone had invitations to do or an event to promote.

I like Garamond too, kelli-- switched to that for a lot of the documents I do.
Old 08-30-2000, 06:41 PM

Hear, hear, Montfort. Comic sans is way too overused. Good only for kiddie pages and ::gasp:: comics.

I use Arial for nearly everything. AIM, browser default, my own homepage, etc. I'm not a big fan of serifs fonts either, but that's just me. I don't think I'm going to be able to convince the entire book-publishing industry to quit using Times.

Trebuchet is a good sans-serifs font, too. My second choice.
Old 08-30-2000, 07:02 PM

sorry to continue this lame hijack, but

Quote:
Originally posted by ElwoodCuse
Speaking of fonts, here's a tip for students. Verdana 12 point takes up more space on a page than Times New Roman 12 point.

That's bullshit. Courier New is the king of space-wasting.
Old 08-30-2000, 07:14 PM

Helping to hijack my own thread!

Quote:
Originally posted by neuroman
That's bullshit. Courier New is the king of space-wasting.
Actually, it's 14-point Courier New.

Old 08-30-2000, 07:29 PM

Well screw you all! I use Comic Sans in my instant messages and I like it. (Ok, I don't use it in letters, presentations, mail or anything else, nor have I even seen it elsewhere, if I did I'd be sick of it too.) The font that REALLY chaps my hinder is *#%@)@)& Copperplate...which for around 3 years straight was used in every ad campaign, brochure, newspaper and commercial. It's finally died down, thank god. Talk about a space waster!
Old 08-30-2000, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by voguevixen
Well screw you all! I use Comic Sans in my instant messages and I like it.
Well, remind me not to IM you...

Old 08-30-2000, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Montfort
Quote:
Originally posted by voguevixen
Well screw you all! I use Comic Sans in my instant messages and I like it.
Well, remind me not to IM you...
Don't worry, you're blocked. :P
Old 08-30-2000, 09:15 PM

My company uses Book Antiqua for regular correspondence. For presentations, we use Arial for charts and BA for the storyline. Return address labels are Felix Titling small caps. E-mail is usually in either Arial or Tahoma.

Comic Sans is for schoolchildren's party invitations.
Old 08-30-2000, 09:27 PM

I like Tempus Sans ITC

It's sorta relaxed like Comic Sans MS.

What can I say I like round bubbly letters that are easy to read! I still like that font.
Old 08-30-2000, 09:48 PM

I had the same problem with Tekton and Isadora a couple years ago. My mom loves those typefaces, and uses them for her work notes and personal correspondence. I'd see them on stationery, on magazine covers, company logos.. ugh!

People! Learn some basic typography! If you must use Comic Sans, use it for short passages of text, such as paragraph headings. (Nametags and single-lined banners also work.) Decorative typefaces should never be used for more than three consecutive sentences.

Other typeface suggestions: the Lucida font family, the Stone family, New York (point size 10, since it is a large face) and Optima. I concur with the Arial, Book Antiqua and Garamond suggestions.
Old 08-30-2000, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ
Oh, and I was also doing lettering work for a comic that I drew and scanned, so I used Comic sans MS. That's about the only place where I'd recommend it.
Same here.
Old 08-31-2000, 12:16 AM

If you want a nice and fancy font to use...try the Tengwar of Feanor.
---The dragon observes
Old 08-31-2000, 12:51 AM

If you want to waste space, do NOT use 14-point Courier New. It is about as obvious as a 3-inch margin. You can get away with 12-point Courier New, though.
Old 08-31-2000, 03:28 AM

Well, I've been known to use Comic Sans MS for fun stuff, but for anything remotely formal, I like ARIAL. All the way. It's so much cleaner and easier to read than TNR, IMO.
Old 08-31-2000, 06:10 AM

I use comic sans in my IM's too! It's neon green in a black background and its in italics!

Yes I know I have way to much free time. But it looks damn cool
Old 08-31-2000, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Not sure why this irked me so, but...

Yah, well, Montfort et al:

Fuck y'all sideways.

I get tired of looking at Arial & Helvetica; everyone and their retarded dogs use those.

I like san serif. I agree that Comic appears casual and informal. Just like I am - that's one reason I like it. I don't use it for formal reports, duh! But I don't see a problem with email usage. No one I know has any difficulty reading Comic - it's a fairly clean, readable font.

Don't worry, I don't have to fear being taken for a kindergartener. I don't IM, after all.

Many of the suggestions made don't work well around here because of the wide variety of font sets loaded. Not to mention the fact that, as IS staff, I'm not allowed to use any non-standard fonts. We have to set a good example, y'know.

I looked through all of the fonts several years ago & liked Comic the best of what was available at the time. I've used it since. Perhaps it's become overused since then, but I've not seen evidence of that. I don't see it used very often at all. YMMV.

There may be some new fonts out now that I'd like as well, but I've got better things to do with my life than reset all of my fonts every few months (altho posting to this thread probably doesn't count among them).

And I'm not likely to change just because it bothers some few bellicose fools with delusions of grandeur.

In fact, I think I'll start encouraging more people to use it. Just to annoy dipshits like you.

By the way, where did you get that outfit? Hasn't anyone told you yet that it makes you look like a cretin with a bad attitude? You really ought to ask your mother to buy you some new clothes.

Ah, I feel much better now. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2000, 02:23 PM

FINALLY! A Pit-worthy reply!

Okay, redtail23, ye of the AOLesque name, which of the complaints above your post did you miss? All of them? The majority of people here agree with my OP, and then you come along and tell us to fuck off? Fine. Go do the same, and doodle in your childish handwriting-like font.

On second thought, do what you'd like, just don't e-mail me, please.

Old 08-31-2000, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Glad to oblige

I'm sorry, you've completely lost me. You're quite obviously extensively AOL-experienced; I'm afraid I can't say the same. Could you explain just how, pray tell, my name is "AOLesque"?

Yes, sweetcheeks, I can read. I can count and do math too, which is apparently more than you can manage.

Let me see...one lame rant (tell me, did you miss all of the posts & threads complaining about the lack of originality evidenced by overuse of those tired Pit chestnuts?), a few pathetic whinges, and some number of 'me too' posts. I'll even give you the various posters who merely discussed font options. So that's 19 agin 6. Gosh, 3 to 1 against - not very good odds.

Of course, that leaves 9232 (at the moment) members of this admittedly superior message board who don't seem to feel your pain. So 1/5 of one percent of the population are arrogant pricks who think that having a pet peeve makes them Fonts of Wisdom and Arbiters of Professionalism. And I'm supposed to be impressed?

Then too, by y'all's testimony, there are evidently hundreds, nay, thousands of people who are using this font everywhere you go. (Not that I agree with that assessment, mind you. As I said, I simply haven't seen this raging pandemic of which you complain. But then again, I have a life, and better things to do than examine every correspondence and webpage I read for appropriate font usage. I'm sorry you can't say the same.) Apparently, they don't have a problem with it, either.

As I said, these are the first complaints I've heard and I've been using said font for some time. Perhaps if you'd actually do professional-level work, you wouldn't have to worry so much about appearances. Seems to work for me, anyway. (Graphic artists excepted, of course. Y'all know that pretty pictures are much more important than content, right?)

So, yeah, I'll continue in my childish font and I'm sure you'll continue in your childish temper-tantrums. Chacun a son gout, doncha know.

Anyway, honeybunch, don't get your knickers all in a twist over some improbable fantasy predicament...oh, I guess that's why you're here. So sorry, I'll rephrase: Don't worry about receiving email from me. That's beyond your wildest dreams.

------
Back atcha, bebe!
Old 09-01-2000, 08:24 PM

...some of you might recall a post of mine explaining that an ex-girlfriend gave me two clothes hangers for a birthday present. This same woman had a (male) friend that lived about an hour's drive away, who she would visit from time-to-time, often staying the night. Whenever I expressed my concerns, she would admonish me, arguing that, just because she spent the night didn't mean anything was going on.
After we broke up, she eventually married the guy.
My point? She made her own wedding invitations and used Comic Sans as her font.
A lying bitch and sadly lacking taste.
Comic Sans on a wedding invitation? Yuck.
Old 09-02-2000, 10:14 AM

Montfort

Courier is the font to hate
That is the dopiest font ever shoved down our throats.
I've hated that since I first saw it, and its everywhere.

I never use it, and always try to change it, but some idiots always insist on it. It's the ugliest "Roman" font in the world, hands down.

You would never see a book printed in it, because it's so ugly. So stop trying to ram it down my throat, asshole!
Old 09-02-2000, 10:29 AM

I use Comic Sans 10pt in all my emails at work. As long as you don't bold it or go nuts with the color scheme, it works just fine as a business font.

Then again, I'm a web monkey in a department that values the number of cool toys on your desk more than a snappy business ensemble. So I can get away with a casual font.

I do not like Arial for one simple reason. It's the default font on our e-mail program. Whenever I receive a misspelled e-mail with sloppy grammar, it's always in Arial. Therefore, in my limited professional experience, Arial is only used by those too ignorant to know how to change their font settings.
Old 09-02-2000, 10:31 AM

Crawdad

You're right that Courier is the UGLY FONT that is always given away free. It's the one they can't sell, it's so bad.
Then they sell you the good fonts as a package because you can't stand the freefies.
Old 09-02-2000, 10:31 AM

I agree, Courier sucks

Meanwhile, I have no problem admitting to frequently using the Comic Sans MS font. Of course, I'm an elementary school teacher. I had originally used a font called "Crayon" that was lost in a hard drive crash; when all things were restored, I found the CSM font to be the closest to a child's handwriting. (This font was used in making various banners, bulletin board stuff, worksheets, etc.)

Now that I have older kids (5th grade starting this year) I'm switching back to my old standby, Times New Roman.

My final word: Dude, y'all, it's a font. Get over it.
Old 09-02-2000, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElwoodCuse
And Courier New takes up as much as I've ever seen. It also looks like old-fashioned newspaper type, though.
Old 09-02-2000, 11:55 AM

The most blatant misuse of Comic Sans that I've seen was last week, when a student that recently graduated from my school killed himself. The school printed a note to the students about it in Comic Sans. How insensitive is that???
Old 09-02-2000, 01:08 PM

[related rant]

What is it with web designers (or anyone sending documents by email, for that matter) expecting me to have a system that matches all their settings? If I design a site, I try to stick to fonts that I reckon most, if not all, viewers will have installed. I really have no patience for people who design their site to look tip-top in 18-point italic Bollocks MonoType, then expect me to download it just to coo in admiration. The same goes for co-workers who've downloaded some fancy font and write all of their documents in it, only for me to have to reformat the damn things so that they look halfway professional on everyone else's PCs and printers.

[/rant]
Old 09-02-2000, 04:32 PM

I have to disagree with the courier-bashers here. Courier, while completely unsuited for the body of any paper, is very useful for including pieces of code in (I'm a CS major, so I need to do that from time to time). The indenting and spacing always lines up, as well. Also, it is strongly associated in my mind with unformatted text, which helps keep things straight.

Personally, my favorite for on-screen use is arial narrow. But for papers, it just doesn't use up enough room usually. It is good for when I feel particularly verbose.

For print invitations and the like, I have about 560 different fonts on my computer, so I can always find something better than comic sans MS. There's one called ER Architect that I use for programming in whenever I can, although I would never try to make anyone else read a program of mine in it.
Old 09-03-2000, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jello
The most blatant misuse of Comic Sans that I've seen was last week, when a student that recently graduated from my school killed himself. The school printed a note to the students about it in Comic Sans. How insensitive is that???
now that is extremely wrong! quite a few of the chain letter i get are in that font, and that is why i hate it.
dreck, and bullshit like "how to get a date with your crush" "why guys like girls" "why girls like guys".
feh, horrible! :wally :wally

and now on to a bigger issue <lol> what do you think when people send messages in all lower-caps? as opposed to normally capitalizing tezt, or in tHiS CyBertyPE ?
Old 09-03-2000, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Teaching letter forms

Comic Sans seems to be the best font for worksheets for teaching people the forms of letters for handwriting.

Other fonts tend to have a computerised 'a' especially, and sometimes a computer 'g' too.

The q still isn't quite a handwriting q though.

Does anyone know of a better font for this purpose
Old 09-03-2000, 10:25 AM

comic sans ms!!!!

haha! i am just lmao here. cause i too hate that frickin font! it's so...happy or somethin, i dunno. all i gotta say is VERDANA! or courier new!
Old 09-03-2000, 12:35 PM

IJ: script?
Old 09-03-2000, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Well screw you all! I use Comic Sans in my instant messages and I like it
I suppose this is what it would be like to IM with a character from "Peanuts"...
Old 09-03-2000, 03:57 PM

KJ wrote:

Heittenschweiler(sp?), all the way!

Mostly because it's just a cool sounding name!
--------------------------------

Actually, my favorite font name has to be:

Berthold Akzidenz-Grotesk

Say it slowly with an evil laugh and an evil German accent.

Phouchg
Old 09-03-2000, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Script. No

We tried that but the versions we looked at were too fancy for a beginner writer.

I meant "printing letters by hand" when I said handwriting

Sorry 'bout that.
Old 09-04-2000, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

There is more to font selection than just 'it looks good to me', which seems to be the standard most people apply.

Back before everyone and his dog could change fonts willy-nilly at a whim, there used to be expert typographers who actually spent a lot of effort designing and choosing appropriate fonts for various uses. Any of you who aspire to be professional designers (web pages, company manuals, whatever) would do well to learn some formal typographic theory.

For example, if you have a high-resolution output, (laser printer, as opposed to screen resolutions), you should almost always use a serif font for body text. Serifs are on fonts for a reason - they help the eye scan from word to word and make it a lot less fatiguing to read long passages.

Web pages are different in that the screen resolution is often too low to display serifs cleanly, so many web pages use a sans-serif font like Arial for body text. Also, most web pages have short articles, so the ease-of-reading aspect is not as critical.

Never use fonts that draw attention to themselves rather than the information they represent. My idea of perfect font selection is one in which the reader never notices the font at all. To my way of thinking, the information on my web page is what is important, and not its presentation. This doesn't apply to company logos, some headlines, and other textual material that has to draw the eye's attention.

Verdana is an excellent web font for small print. It was designed specifically for that use. It uses thick stroke widths and angles that don't create a lot of aliasing problems on low-res screens. It's not a great choice for applications where you have the resolution to use other fonts, but it does a great job on 72 DPI screens.

If you come to an interview at my company with a portfolio of web pages full of patterned backgrounds, ransom-note font choices, animated logos, blinking text, or other major design errors, it'll be a really short interview.

If you use flash on a web page, it's not going to matter how 'cool' it is - if you can't answer basic questions as to why you're forcing the user to download a plug-in, and forcing the web page owner to pay double for content changes, you'll fail the interview.

If your web page is over 50K in size, be prepared to answer some tough questions about your choice in graphics, and the business need for that size.

Sorry for the rant - I just fielded several interviews with some people applying for professional web design positions who clearly had never even cracked a book on the basics of design.

Oh yeah, this is the pit... FARGING SCUMBAG ICEHOLES, ALL OF THEM!
Old 09-04-2000, 09:17 AM
Creature of the Night

dhanson, I thank you, and my eyes thank you. I am SO tired of straining my eyes on some of the web pages that I come across.
Old 09-04-2000, 09:37 AM

There are other websites?