Would you be upset if the cashier did not give you any pennies back with your change?

I met someone who told me that he does not give way any pennies when giving out change. If your change is X amount of dollars and 67 cents, you would get back only 65 cents. If your change came out to 69 cents you would get back 70 cents. I guess he figures it all evens out in the end.

I personally would not be upset and the cashier tells me that no customer has complained about it so far.

Would you guys even notice? And if you did would you be upset or even go as far as to say something about it?

I would be bothered. It wouldn’t occur to me that the cashier was making a statement with the way they make change. I would assume they made a mistake and would correct them.

That’s how it has worked here since the one and two cent pieces were withdrawn from circulation. Everyone adapted to it very quickly.

I wouldn’t mind if they always rounded up to the nearest nickel. Sorry, but you’re not cheating me out of 2 cents just because you don’t like pennies.

If the guy was doing it off his own bat, just because pennies are a pain to him? That I would be annoyed about. If it was because we were getting rid of pennies, I wouldn’t care, but cashiers don’t have the right to just decide they don’t like pennies and aren’t going to deal with them.

They’re mine and I want 'em. I may drop them into the ‘give a penny take a penny’ tray or I may take them home to be rolled and cashed later. But it’s my choice what to do with my money, not the cashier’s. I wouldn’t blink an eye if Canada got rid of them altogether, but until then you’ve short-changed me.

Perhaps I shouldn’t tell the cashiers, but I never count my change.

No. When I was in spain they did that and I really enjoyed it.

Here, one chain of drug stores has a jar of cents next to the cashiers and you are invited to take whatever you think was missing from your change instead of delaying everything. I’ve always liked that.

Seconding what Cunctator said – we’ve had Swedish rounding for years, too. Believe me, you do get used to it when the copper cash is gone. We’re even losing our 5-cent pieces, soon.

A lot of countries have done away with pennies…wonder if the time might be right to do the same in the USA.

I remember being in Italy when they still had Lira and sometimes they didn’t have the small change, so they would give you a couple piece of candy along with your change to make up for it…I thought that was kind of quaint, and “sweet”.

Of course, you could always sign up for Bank Of America’s new plan, “Keep The Change”…and every time you use your debit card, they round up the sum and put the change in your savings account. For instance, if you buy something for $4.55 you will be charged $5.00 and the extra 45 cents is credited to your savings account. Nice way to save a few bucks, and they promise to double what you get at the end of the year - so if I should earn $150.00 in the program, they will match my $150.00! Not bad…so I signed up for it. Granted, it has been three months and I think I have earned about $90 but hey…

(I do not work for BofA, nor do I get anything for mentioning this program…I just thought it was a cool idea in case anyone has an account there and hasn’t heard of the program.)

But as to the OP…I guess as long as the guy plays fair and doesn’t charge you the extra pennies, then it is fair when he doesn’t pay them out either. So no, it wouldn’t bother me.

Same here in the Netherlands, where this practice started two years ago or so.

I’m all for ditching pennies (and paper dollars while we’re at it), but as long as we have them, it’s not a cashier’s prerogative to keep them from me. I’m generally not a big fan of people taking my money without asking.

I was stationed in Germany with the Army and at the PX on base they would not give you any pennies when they gave people back their change. Apparently it costs more to send pennies to Germany than they are worth. I always thought they could have just sold stuff for a dollar instead of 99 cents but who am I.

Yes, I’d be upset. And I’ve actually complained about it when a cashier didn’t give me the penny he owed me.

I have a wallet with a change pocket, so I actually use the coins. I try to use up the pennies when the purchase total is not divisible by 5 (cents), but if not, I’ll take pennies as change to use on the next purchase.

Of course it would be different if all stores stopped using pennies. In that case I won’t mind not getting the pennies, because I’d have no use for it anyway.

I work at a carry out sometimes, when I’m not at my other job…

It seems that people don’t want the pennies could at least tell us and let us deal with it, not be the way they are and take the pennies, just to throw them on the floor or ground…also…

When we get close to shift change, it is easier to leave little change in the drawers, since you have to count it moments later…at this time we would often short people pennies or round up…either way, I doubt they ever notice…it’s basically because when you’ve been there from 7am-5:30pm, you don’t want to take the time to give out two pennies of a roll and then have to count the other 48 just to make sure the change in the drawers is right…

just my experience though

can I get an AMEN!

I’m with a bunch of the rest of you. When the rounding program goes national and they take the pennies out of circulation, then fine. Otherwise, I’d complain about a rounding error against me, even of just one cent. :smiley:

I’ll add that I’ve had storeowners round up my change, though they’ll usually comment on it under their breath. Give me a nickel instead of four pennies, and mutter “Don’t worry about it” or something like that.

US Army soldier here stationed in Korea. Nobody on post uses pennies. They round to the nearest .05. I haven’t seen a penny in 7 months, and enjoy it. I figure it balances out in the end.

-Otanx

I’d be slightly annoyed. It may only be a few pennies but their my pennies. I would be less annoyed if there was a sign on the till or something explaining the system.

Rounding is cool and all, but let’s round to MY benefit…not the merchant’s. If the change would be .67, give me .70.