Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Surreal Surreal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,076
Why Is My Penis Darker Than The Rest Of Me?

I've noticed that the skin on the shaft of my penis is significantly darker than the skin on other regions of my body that are equally deprived of direct sunlight, such as my buttocks and upper thighs. Why might this be the case?

This is true despite the fact that I wash my penis more thoroughly and more enthusiastically than I wash the remainder of my body. What could be the cause of this?

Thanks.
  #2  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:20 AM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 39,320
It's not unusual at all. Especially people from (or whose ancestors were from) Mediterranean countries, or some parts of Africa.
  #3  
Old 04-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Princhester Princhester is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 14,257
Possibly for the same reason a balloon looks darker when it's not inflated.
  #4  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:02 AM
Walloon Walloon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: America's Dairyland
Posts: 12,780
What Princhester said.
  #5  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:07 AM
Johanna Johanna is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 12,512
The darkening is an effect of all that masturbation.
  #6  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:12 AM
Princhester Princhester is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 14,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna
The darkening is an effect of all that masturbation.
Do you mean because of slight charring due to frictional heat, or due to darkening vision as one goes blind?
  #7  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:15 AM
inkleberry inkleberry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,409
I've seen this on various men. I tend to assume it is either an ethnic variant and/or a result of hormonal changes following puberty, which definitely cause the darkening of genital & nipple areas in women.

However, if your penis was a nice rosy pink a few months ago and suddenly is, say, black, you might want to have that checked out by someone. If it's always been darker (or at least since puberty), it's likely normal.

BTW, you may wanna check your ass crack, it likely is also darker. If you are very hairy, this may be hard to ascertain.
  #8  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:27 AM
TheLoadedDog TheLoadedDog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal
This is true despite the fact that I wash my penis more thoroughly and more enthusiastically...
Washing, you say? Okaaay dude. We believe you.
  #9  
Old 04-17-2006, 04:16 AM
NinetyWt NinetyWt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Garden Spot of the South
Posts: 9,135
I have seen my share of nekkid white men. Ok, probably MORE than my share. Heh.

The genitalia of the men I've had privilege to see, are darker than the body. I've always supposed it's a combination of thinner skin and more blood vessels in those regions.

It's never been a turn-off or squick factor.

BTW , TheLoadedDog, wash that thing. We ladies will thank you for that .
  #10  
Old 04-17-2006, 09:28 AM
drhess drhess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 1,360
"squick factor" ?
  #11  
Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 AM
smiling bandit smiling bandit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 16,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhess
"squick factor" ?
Read: ickyness.
  #12  
Old 04-17-2006, 09:39 AM
black rabbit black rabbit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Dungaree High
Posts: 3,685
It's because you cover it in thick, bold, zesty A1 sauce.

Try using a little bit of white wine vineagar instead.
  #13  
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Cervaise Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: underpants
Posts: 19,743
It's a combination of (1) color blindness and (2) Chee-to consumption prior to wankage.
  #14  
Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 15,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhess
"squick factor" ?
Hopefully, definition 1 is meant, not definition 2 (the original meaning).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=squick&f=1

---------

Note that going clothesless has been the natural state of man for almost all of our existence. The wearing of clothes is quite recent. Even less recent is living in northern climes where having a pale skin in order to increase Vitamin D production is an advantage. As opposed to darker skin which is an advantage in sunnier climes. It might be a tradeoff: Slightly less Vitamin D production but less chance of sunburn to a reproductively significant area.
  #15  
Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 AM
lieu lieu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 26,079
I think diet may be a factor. Yours is dark like chocolate while mine displays evidence of Cheetos. My advice would be for you to switch to M&Ms.
  #16  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:06 PM
ShibbOleth ShibbOleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Schlaraffenland
Posts: 20,611
Dear Og,

Thank you for having the guy from Gobbler's Knob talk about his penis.

That is all,

Shibb
  #17  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Uncommon Sense Uncommon Sense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wisconsin, Untied States
Posts: 7,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
I think diet may be a factor. Yours is dark like chocolate while mine displays evidence of Cheetos. My advice would be for you to switch to M&Ms.
Plain or nut?
  #18  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 37,286
Considering your username, I think you have to consider the possibility that it may actually be somebody else's penis.
  #19  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:49 PM
nd_n8 nd_n8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Indiana, mostly.
Posts: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri
Considering your username, I think you have to consider the possibility that it may actually be somebody else's penis.
Or perhaps it is actually your penis but somebody else's body.
  #20  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:58 PM
BMax BMax is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Salt Lake County
Posts: 1,806
Ddi you leave it on top of the fridge? When I put bananas up there for a week they turn black.
  #21  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Tristan Tristan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: leaffan for president!
Posts: 5,848
Surreal, it's time we told you the truth.

Your penis is adopted.
  #22  
Old 04-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Chronos Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 72,653
Quote:
Dear Og,

Thank you for having the guy from Gobbler's Knob talk about his penis.

That is all,

Shibb
New around here, are you? Half the penis threads in GQ are started by Surreal.
  #23  
Old 04-17-2006, 05:06 PM
KlondikeGeoff KlondikeGeoff is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: High Sonoran Desert
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal
I've noticed that the skin on the shaft of my penis is significantly darker than the skin on other regions of my body
Picture?

Oh, good grief, forget it, what was I thinking?
  #24  
Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
AskNott AskNott is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Anderson, IN,USA
Posts: 14,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by black455
It's because you cover it in thick, bold, zesty A1 sauce.

Try using a little bit of white wine vineagar instead.
Quite so. Other options include Hidden Valley® Ranch Dressing or Alfredo Sauce. NOTICE: Personal hygiene is important, here. You definitely don't want your smegma in the mix.
  #25  
Old 04-17-2006, 05:57 PM
The Scrivener The Scrivener is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Iselin, NJ
Posts: 4,790
Because it's, uh, dark meat?
  #26  
Old 04-17-2006, 08:46 PM
ShibbOleth ShibbOleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Schlaraffenland
Posts: 20,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
New around here, are you? Half the penis threads in GQ are started by Surreal.
Hardly new, but hadn't noticed. I'll make a mental note of it.
  #27  
Old 04-17-2006, 09:53 PM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 39,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkleberry
BTW, you may wanna check your ass crack, it likely is also darker. If you are very hairy, this may be hard to ascertain.
But isn't that what friends are for?
  #28  
Old 04-18-2006, 12:12 AM
FenneF FenneF is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18
Light brusing due to over-enthusiastic.. washing?
  #29  
Old 04-18-2006, 12:20 AM
squeekster squeekster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just left of normal
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneF
Light brusing due to over-enthusiastic.. washing?
If anyone asks I just tell them "It's my soap and my dick. I'll wash it as fast as I want to."
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017