Recommend me some children's classics for summer out loud reading.

My two are 8 and 6, m and f.

We’ve done Harry Potter 1-3. ( I think the remaining books are too plot complicated for them at this age.)

I am hoping to read one classic book ( say Peter Pan) a week, with an hour or two in the morning and again at night time before bed.

I have never read any of the Chronicles of Narnia ( I did see the movie and liked it.) how important is it to start with book one?

Also, what about Redwall (which doesn’t strike me as a one week read at all.) too complicated?

I will make a list of the kids chapter books I have on hand later to give you all an idea of what I have and what ahem I like.
(Actually, I’d like something along the lines of Harry Potter. I hated Eoin Colfer’s books because I hated the hero/anti hero immensely.)

I’ve heard good things about the “Inheritance” Trilogy, starting with Eragon

I don’t know if this is in the age range you’re looking for, but I remember in the fifth grade, our teacher read us The Yearling by Marjorie Rawlings as a “rainy day” book (that is, when rain kept us from going out for recess). I remember not just me, but the rest of the class too, looking forward to rainy days that year for that very reason. Not many books can keep a class of fifth graders spellbound.

I loved listening to my mother reading The Wind in the Willows. To this day, when I reread the book, I still hear my mother’s voice.

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, especially since you specified children’s classics. A wonderful book for a 6 and 8 year old, and different enough from the movie to make it new to them.

The Redwall books are longish but they aren’t very sophisticated plotwise. I think your kids would have no trouble following the story.

I’d also highly recommend the following:
“The Hounds of the Morrigan” by Pat O’Shea
“Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of NIMH” by Robert C. O’Brien
“The Bromeliad Trilogy” by Terry Pratchett (now bound as a single volume but formerly three books called “Truckers” “Diggers” and “Wings” )

My parents read ‘The Hobbit’ by Tolkien to me when I was a kid.
Now I read it to nephews or children of my friends.

Whichever book you choose, remember to explain the big words and use loads of cheesy sound effects.
In ‘The Hobbit’, all doors creak. The wind whistles through the trees.
All dwarves have an English West Country accent (think rural). Gandalf is educated and posh, but goblins are not.
My best moment was when I sang one of the songs to a shy girl. She asked to hear it again. Then she asked to sing with me. Her parents told me she had never sung ‘in public’ before! :cool:

These are all Classics According to Delphica.

The Great Brain, John D. Fitzgerald
Perfect for boys.

The Jungle Book, Kipling
I think this is actually a classic, too.

The Treasure Seekers, Five Children and It, etc etc E. Nesbit
These are a bit twee, but still enjoyable. She’s got a little wicked streak, too.

The Lemonade Trick and sequels, by Scott Corbett
Short magic chapter books, I think these are laugh out loud funny (keeping in mind that i have the sense of humor of an 11 year old boy). Most are out of print though, so it’s a library thing.

Stuart Little, E.B. White
People seem to love this, although the whole giving birth to a mouse thing kind of freaks me out personally.

Dr. Dolittle and the five million sequels that came after, by Hugh Lofting
Not a good choice if you are creeped out by talking animals, but otherwise very good.

Lizard Music, Daniel Pinkwater
Love!

Cricket in Times Square, George Seldon
I think I might go home and read this now that I’m thinking about it. It’s a cricket! He lives in Times Square! What’s not to like?

Little House in the Big Woods, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The first four or so are entirely age appropriate, after that they get a little more complicated so you could see what you think if the kids like them enough to get to that point.

For Narnia, I think it would be fine to start with the Lion, the Witch etc etc.

Out loud reading?

Fox in Socks, of course.

Most of these have already been mentioned:

The Chronicles of Narnia — I say definitely start with The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. It makes the most sense to me that way (versus chronologically beginning with the Magician’s Nephew). Plus, I think TLTW&TW is the most readily accessible for kids.

Saw the Daniel Pinkwater recommendation - I would go for The Snark-Out Boys and the Avocado of Doom. Still my all-time favorite book, ever.

I loved The Hobbit as a kid as well.

I’ll also throw in Watership Down.

Of all these, I would start with Narnia. Not only do I love it, but I have fond memories of my mother reading the ENTIRE series to me. Cover to cover. I think it’s perfect for what you’re looking for.

The Doctor

IMHO, it’s important to read them in the order in which they were written (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; The Horse and His Boy; The Magician’s Nephew; and The Last Battle). Yes, I realize that the author went on record with a different preference, but I don’t care. If he wanted them read in his order, he should have written them in that order.

And, so as not to make a hijack out of this, I’d also like to suggest The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Ooooh! I just remembered a serious classic: T*he Prydain Chronicles *by Lloyd Alexander. Both your boy and your girl will LOVE these. Start at the beginning and work your way through.

The Docto

In No Particular Order as I am suppose to be folding laundry.
Five have a mystery to solve ( enid blyton)

Five go to demon rocks ( enid blyton)

Children of willow farm ( blyton)

Five go off to camp ( blyton)

Once upon a marigold (ferris)

Wind in the willows

Wolf Story - ( Mccleery) (we have this on cd. Kids love it.)

Castle in the attic ( winthrop)

Battle for the castle (winthrop)

Swallows and Amazons ( Ransome)

The High King ( Alexander)

Redwall ( Jacques)

Westmark ( alexander)

Half Magic ( eager)

The double fudge Dare. ( ladd)

Afternoon of the elves ( Lisle)

Prisoner of Zenda ( anthony hope)

Belle Prater’s boy (white)

Holes ( sachar)

A wrinkle in Time ( L’engle)

Ghost in the noonday sun ( fleischman)

TGhe ghost in the tokaido inn ( hoobler)

The Dark Frigate (Hawes)

Family under the bridge ( carlson)

Secret of the Ruby Ring ( Macgrory)

Me and my little brain ( fitzgerald)

Great brain does it again.

School house in the woods (caudill)

A little princess ( burnett)

All of a kind family ( taylor)

The skull of truth ( coville)

The watsons go to birmingham 1963

Black Beauty ( Usborne version. very good for a nice condensed one, IMHO)

The door in the wall ( de angeli)

My father’s dragon ( gannet)

The egypt game ( snyder)

Pyrdain Chronicles ( alexander)

The little prince

Linnets and Valerians

The Wind Boy ( Ethel Cook Elliot)

from the mixed up files of basil frankenwiler

Wainscot Weasel

Peter and the Star catchers ( by Dave Barry & someone else. I’m wondering if I can read this first then Peter Pan.)

I have about 30 or more that are too old ( holocaust stories and WW2 or ww1 time period stories) and my daughter is trying to levitate the dog right now, so I am a little distracted.

And I’d like to add that anytime a Kids Book Discussion Thread comes along, I make notes like a madwoman and know that I must find these books to make my children Doper Material or something.

Which is how I came to find Enid Blyton with a score of her HTF books at a resale shop and learning about the joys of Asterix and how very hard to find his books are and when I do how they cost me $10 per book brand new. You guys really know how to just kick a girl in the pocket book.

If I put a full price estimate on the (kids) books that I’ve bought because of the Dope, just the stack that is waste high to me right now ( and it isn’t all of the books that I’ve stashes aside from my kids.) I would have to say well over $7-8k. Fortunately, I’m a tightwad and only buy used ( mostly.)

I won’t even go into what you people have cost me for Big People Books. :stuck_out_tongue:

My son adores Asterix by the way. Thanks to whomever that doper was that intro’d me to this fun character!

Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls. An absolutely fantastic book about a boy and his dogs and a true classic. It’s also good for boys and girls.

There’s a kind of a scary bit toward the end, however, so you may want to screen it for the 6 year old first.

I was just coming in to suggest this one. In fact, all of Edgar Eager’s books are wonderful. A few of my other favorites to read to my kids (and now my 7yo neice):
Manhattan is Missing
The Phantom Tollbooth
Matilda
James & The Giant Peach

Goody!

I have the entire fat book of The Prydain Chronicles.
Does anyone know of a Cliff Notes et al site on line that summarizes or even spoils a book ( kids and adults).

How’bout The sword in the stone, or maybe something else vaguely similar? There’s also Roger Lancelyn Green’s books–he did very good Robin Hood, Arthur, and Greek myths to boot, or Howard Pyle’s versions if you want to get people saying “Forsooth, varlet!” (Note that R. L. Green was an Inkling, too!)

Also, if you like HP and Alexander Lloyd, have you tried Diana Wynne Jones? You can start with Lives of Christopher Chant for the kids, and get Fire and hemlock for yourself…if you’ve never read her, you should! I’m pretty sure you’d like her a lot.