Sonic Boom as a Weapon

Is the power of the sonic boom phenomenon considered a weapon of any kind? I can see how it could be pretty demoralizing to have a formation fly over at 800 MPH at 50 feet without dropping so much as a squib. But given the ability of the boom to break glass, has this shock wave ever been put to military use? Could it say, detonate a buried antipersonnel mine? Or any other impact-triggered device?

Not a sonic boom from an aircraft but same idea:
http://www.atcsd.com/lrad.html

Also flying at supersonic speeds 50 ft about the ground is a good way to smash into it.

Special forces of the Netherlands

Let’s not overlook the obvious.

I’m unaware of sonic booms being used as mine-clearing devices, and perhaps the OP knew about this already, but as recently as late last year, it was widely reported that Israel was using the sonic booms of low-flying fighters as a harassment device to disrupt attempts to fire rockets into its territory from Gaza.

OK, more in the nature of Psyops than combat, but still a military application.

It’s said that “The Flying Crowbar”, which would have flown at treetop level at Mach 3, could have killed people just by flying overhead

Clearly, you’ve never met my friend Guile.

:smack:

Try that again.

Wow, for a minute there I thought I’d gone through some sort of transdimensional warp or something.

Huh…it’s amazing what you find out when you read a thread before posting.