The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-29-2006, 06:20 PM

Your favorite cheesy sci-fi movies from the '50s and '60s

I just watched Forbidden Planet and It Came from Outer Space: Pure, lovely Velveeta!

What are yours?
Advertisements  
Old 04-29-2006, 07:55 PM

Forbidden Planet cheesy? Nuh uh. It was state of the art, at the time. Big budget, good acting, great effects.

Besides, it didn't have John Agar, which is required for cheese.

I remember some good ones that might be considered cheesy by today's standards -- Them!, The Day the World Ended, When the Earth Stood Still, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Blob, and one good giant spider movie -- can't remember the title. Not Tarantula -- that one was cheesy.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam
Forbidden Planet cheesy? Nuh uh. It was state of the art, at the time. Big budget, good acting, great effects.

Besides, it didn't have John Agar, which is required for cheese.

I remember some good ones that might be considered cheesy by today's standards -- Them!, The Day the World Ended, When the Earth Stood Still, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Blob, and one good giant spider movie -- can't remember the title. Not Tarantula -- that one was cheesy.

Point taken with Forbidden (it was, after all, modeled on The Tempest). For me, the "high tech" Krell center and the theremin music marked it as a quintessentially '50s sci-fi flick. (However, it is heads 'n shoulders 'n toes above Plan 9)

I can't believe that was Leslie Nielsen!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:58 PM
BANNED

Forbidden Planet holds up really well; some of the social attitudes are amusing now (it's funny how science fiction writers who had no trouble imagining FTL interstellar travel and artificial intelligence nevertheless saw gender roles as being pretty much unchanging). The basic premise is good hard sf, and way beyond most of the simple-minded monster movies being made then.

For real cheese, I enjoy stuff like Attack of the Eye Creatures. This movie was so low-budget that they screwed up the title credits: it actually says "Attack of the [new line] the Eye Creatures". They had big fun with this one on MST3K.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark
I can't believe that was Leslie Nielsen!
He was kinda hot, wasn't he?

Baldwin, "gender roles"? Altaira was naive, but she was also independent, even a bit forceful, if I remember right.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:33 PM

Oh wait. Do you mean the way she was treated by the men? Like a delicate flower? Yeah, now I get it.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:34 PM

I always got the impression that Altaira wasn't as naive as she acted. She seemed to enjoy screwing with Adams' and Farman's heads.

Anybody ever see the 1968 flick Project X, starring George Whatshisname and Henry Jones and Monte Markham? Bizarre little flick with great cheesy futuristic costumes and effects.

Sir Rhosis
Old 04-30-2006, 07:26 AM

As for cheesy SF movies, my favorite has to be the movie Alien was based on: "It, Terror from Beyond Space." I love how a spaceship to Mars is carrying gas grenades, M1 Garands and a freaking BAZOOKA. And how they FIRE the bazooka ON THE SHIP and it doesn't put a hole in it...
Old 04-30-2006, 08:19 AM

I know the OP is asking for cheesy specimens, but someone mentioned (not quite accurately) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and said it might be considered cheesy by today's standards. There are a few scenes that stretch believability, such as the ones where Gort's laser-like eye-beam either neutralizes or destroys the weapons and tanks arrayed against them, but for the most part this movie was surprisingly clean of gimmicks and "effects" even for its day. The plot and the acting were at least on par with many of the A features of the period and I know that my younger brother and I were both terrified by the prospect of those aliens actually coming to Earth and making our electricity quit working. We were in grammar school in those days so that's not saying all that much. But we were smart and hip enough to see through the stupidity of things like Tarantula and the ones where they took pictures of crickets and lizards and blew them up to resemble terrifying creatures eating people.

I do remember doing some math on the body parts involved in Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) and being impressed where one could park a car. (I was in high school by that time and had thoughts in that direction anyway.)
Old 04-30-2006, 08:55 AM

Ok, it's a miniseries, but it's hard to beat Raumpatrouille (Space Patrol) from 1966. Here is a short clip that gives a first impression.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark
I just watched Forbidden Planet and It Came from Outer Space: Pure, lovely Velveeta!
No, both are first-class SF films of the time. Nothing cheesy about them, other than the fact that they get insulted because the CGI was so bad.

There were many great SF flicks of the time, and they differed from current SF in that they actually put some thought into the plot, and gave the viewer something to think about. Today's SF is completely mindless action; 50s SF at its best usually had something more.

Other great films of the time include:

Anything by Jack Arnold (It Came From Outer Space, Tarantula, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Creature from the Black Lagoon)
War of the Worlds and The Time Machine.
Them!
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961, but fits otherwise)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

If you're concerned with story, and not special effects, these are better than 90% of SF in the past ten years.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck

If you're concerned with story, and not special effects, these are better than 90% of SF in the past ten years.

Agreed!

I feel manny peoples tend to see B&W, rear projection sets, stop action animation, or the like and automatically get a cheese in their head. Sure, the LOOK is sometimes a little corny by todays standards (but not FP or TDtESS), but it was the IDEA, the STORY, and in many cases the ACTING that carried the film through. Through the ages, even!

Yeah, I'd much rather see a great story told with pipe cleaners than be attacked by wonderfully done tripods in a no story open wound of a movie try.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:16 PM

Ok,time for the cheese movie of the 50's.....Invaders from Mars.I was going to write Donovan's Brain,but I liked it too much
Old 04-30-2006, 01:14 PM

I don't think Invaders is cheese. Okay, the visible zippers were cheesy, and the tentacled Martian in the fish bowl (which is how I remember it, it might have looked different) was cheesy, but some scenes were just beautiful.

Plus, it hit on a primal fear -- what if people you love and trust suddenly change? That's scary. It scared me when I was 11, and it still scares me. Invaders played on that.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think Invaders is cheese. Okay, the visible zippers were cheesy, and the tentacled Martian in the fish bowl (which is how I remember it, it might have looked different) was cheesy, but some scenes were just beautiful.

Plus, it hit on a primal fear -- what if people you love and trust suddenly change? That's scary. It scared me when I was 11, and it still scares me. Invaders played on that.
You are right.When I was young Invaders scared the bejesus out of me.As an adult I can see how it was played like being in a dream
Old 04-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Fantastic Voyage (1966) was great cheese plus it had Raquel Welch in a form fitting suit!
Old 04-30-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniracer
Fantastic Voyage (1966) was great cheese plus it had Raquel Welch in a form fitting suit!

This is one of my faves! I just recorded it on DVR and am saving it for a very special evening
Old 04-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

"The Thing", with James Arness just scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. You can still see it on reruns today of course.
"The Day the Earth Stood Still" Is a classic! We kids memorized "Platu Marada Nickto" (or whatever) just in case Gort showed up. Talk about impressioning kids! Loved It.
I couldn't suspend disbelief with "Robbie the Robot" though. Even then I watched the movie with my eyeballs pointed up.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:28 PM

I love this stuff!.

This Island Earth has got to be on the list.

If you want real cheese track down a few John Agar films as AuntiePam mentioned. The Brain from Planet Arous is my fav.

If you want shear mega-ton bad go for The Beast of Yucca Flats a 70 min long film(?) that manages to be boring.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:36 PM

Some of the best cheeses have already been given the MST3K treatment. But it's amazing how many of those I saw (and even liked!) long before the days of Joel and the Bots. Of course, I have a new appreciation of good cheese because of them.

Which brings me to THEM! The Proffessor, without Mary Ann, is an ant! Ahhhhh!

A newer cheese with a simliar title, but a much different plot, was THEY LIVE! Man, I gotta get me some of those glasses!.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:08 PM

::stamping foot::

Them! isn't cheese! The ants were cheesy -- I recognized that when I was 9 years old -- but that movie was way better than it needed to be.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy
The professor wasn't even in Them!. You're thinking of It Came From Outer Space. Both excellent films.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The professor wasn't even in Them!. You're thinking of It Came From Outer Space. Both excellent films.
I'm putting both in my queue. It's been far too long, obviously.

And, even tho I enjoyed Them!, it falls into my parameters for cheese. The atomic mutations of things is a cheese factor in my book. Se also: The Man Who Grew Too Much

It Came From Outer Space must have been on the same day or something when last I saw it. You're right. A Bradbury mystery done in 3D is no cheese ball.

(Had to go open IMDb in another thread to keep all this straight)
Old 04-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A newer cheese with a simliar title, but a much different plot, was THEY LIVE! Man, I gotta get me some of those glasses!.
That wasn't cheese; that was a documentary about the Reagan/Bush administrations.

My nomination is Planet of Blood. I remember even as a kid thinking "She DRANK HIS BLOOD and you're going to keep her on board?!?"
Old 04-30-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
And, even tho I enjoyed Them!, it falls into my parameters for cheese. The atomic mutations of things is a cheese factor in my book.
While you're at IMDB, see if Them! was one of the first of the atomic mutant movies. I'm thinking it was, and that the cheesy locusts, leeches, crabs, octopi, and spiders came later.

The Incredible Shrinking Man is a mutant story that worked quite well, IMHO. The Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, not so much.

Which movie had the giant tin cans roaming the desert?

The Beast of Hollow Mountain was pretty bad. I think Guy Madison was in that one.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I would nominate two films that share a theme:

The Man Without a Body (1957), about a millionaire with a brain tumor who has a doctor transplant the head of Nostradamus onto his body.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962), about a surgeon who keeps his wife's head alive in his lab after a car crash.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
...Which movie had the giant tin cans roaming the desert?
I think you're thinking of Kronos, with Jeff Morrow and, um, Morris Ankrum.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 AM

I gotta agree that too many people are choosing some really good flicks and misidentifying them as "cheese". I've defended Forbidden Planet many times, and It! The Terror Beyond Space as well. (Much better than Alien, IMHO. And I don't recall anyone using abazooka on board -- grenades and guns, unbelievably, yes, but no bazooka. I think you're misremembering.) Them! and Kronos were pretty good, too.

I agree that This Island Earth was cheese. It wouldn't be if thety hadn't jettisoned the book almost completely. Even in the part they kept -- the "aptitude test when my namesake, Cal Meacham, builds the Interociter -- they missed the point completely. The Metalunans didn't just give him the plans, making it an interstellar Heathkit project. He had to dope it out himself from the descriptions of the parts. And he had to fabricate some patrts himself whebn they wouldn't replace broken parts. It was a real test of his abilities. (And he learns of others being tested as well, and failing their tests) The other stuff -- the Metalunan Mutants, the planet becoming a sun, the aliens who, against all reason, need earth scientists to help them by doing their research --m are just too dumb for words.

"Cheese" implies really bad, yet fun to watch. Here are a few:

Plan Nine from Outer Space
Robot Monster

The "bevy of Beauty Pageant films (often with the same girls in them):

Abbott and Costello Go to Mars
CatWomen of the Moon
Queen of Outer Space
(really high cheese quotient here!)
Fire Maidens from Outer Space

The Phantom Planet
World Without End
Invasion of the Saucer Men
It Conquered the World
The Amazing Colossal Man
War of the Colossal Beast
(Wait! Glenn was fifty feet tall!")
The Forty Forty Bride of Candy Rock
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules
The Green Slime
(might be early 1970s, but spectacularly cheesy for a released-to-major-theaters film)
Old 05-01-2006, 09:11 AM
BANNED

Invasion of the Body Snatchers hasn't been mentioned, probably because it's really a well-conceived flick. Together with The Day the Earth Stood Still and War of the Worlds, it's one of my trio of favorite SF flicks from that era.

It's easy to knock any kind of film from earlier eras as cheesy and corny, but try to remember that later generations will probably laugh at Alien and The Matrix. Films age much more quickly than any other art form.

For cheese, though, I'd nominate both The Tingler and The Fly. "Help me! Help me!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:46 AM

Auntie Pam writes:

While you're at IMDB, see if Them! was one of the first of the atomic mutant movies. I'm thinking it was, and that the cheesy locusts, leeches, crabs, octopi, and spiders came later.

The Incredible Shrinking Man is a mutant story that worked quite well, IMHO. The Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, not so much.

Which movie had the giant tin cans roaming the desert?

The Beast of Hollow Mountain was pretty bad. I think Guy Madison was in that one.

The UR-1950s Monster Movie was The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. It gave us

-- the monster awakened/created by atomic explosionms/nuclear power
--the Buildup
--The Hero who knows what's going on, but isn't believed
--the Monster making its destructive way toward populated centers
--the Beautiful Young Assistant
--the Military can't Kill the Moster, even with modern weapons
--They only have One Shot to kill the Beast.

Of course, it was the very first time this was all done, so it wasn't a cliche then. And Harryhausen invented new effects techniques to ejke out his small effects budget, since he couldn't afford the kind of elaborate miniature sets and glass paintings they'd used in films like King Kong. The script was literate, too, with some clever stuff (the idea that the Beast was ill, with infected blood that prevented the military from simply vaporizing it is a clever touch, as is the idea that it was instinctively going to peresent-day NYC to spawn, a la the eels in the sargasso. It explains why the mobnster wouldn't simply avoid such a hostile environment in the first place -- a detail all subsequent monster flicks simply ignored) Claims that it's based on the Ray radbury story of the same name (later retitled "The Foghorn") are a bit skewed -- evidently the screenwriters already were far advanced on their script when Bradbury's story was published in the Saturday Evening Post. There's not much similarity, although Harryhausen added an atmospheriv scene with a lighthouse. I suspect they connectec the two to avoid lawsuits, to acquire a little sophistication by association, and because Harryhausen and Bradbury were high scool friends.

The Incredible Shrinking Man was based on Richard Matheson's excellent book of the same name, with screenplay by him, and is a perfectl example of a "B picture" (which refers to the budget and importance, not the quality.) For a low-budget flick by a major studio, it ain't bad. The 50 foot woman, like the Amazing Colossal Man (whose title consciously apes that of TISM) were quick cheapies intended to cash in on the success of the original. 50 Foot Woman has appallingly bad effects -- the "giant" alioen and later the woman seem transparent. The "giant" hand is laughably bad. Considering that the film probably had a microscopic busget, it's pretty well done. It's got some neat shots in it (Like the "through the magnifying glass" shot of the sherriff's face as he looks at the "jewel"), but it's impossible to deny that it's still not very good.

I kinda like The Beast of Hollow Mountain (which doesn't have Guy Williams, or anyoner else you may have heard of). It gets points from me for featuring an animated dinosaur that doesn't really look very bad. Certainly a lot better than the "giant lizards as dinos school of cheap films so common in the 1950s.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

THEM! is a personal favorite of mine. An interesting script, & a wonderful cast make it a real winner. Good locations, too.

However...

We must never forget the destruction of Tokyo, as revealed to us in Ishirô Honda's 1954 documentary, Godzilla, King Of The Monsters. (original Japanese title, Gojira.)
Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 AM

Encore (either Action or Retro...I can't remember) ran a super-cheesy one yesterday. Mr. K and I were laughing our asses off! The flying saucers would crash into the Washington monument and the husband-and-wife stars would just look in that direction, dead pan, and crouch beside a military vehicle. She's all runnin' around in heels and a smart suit. The control board was just unpainted plywood. It was a thing of beauty.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:31 AM

[quote]Encore (either Action or Retro...I can't remember) ran a super-cheesy one yesterday. Mr. K and I were laughing our asses off! The flying saucers would crash into the Washington monument and the husband-and-wife stars would just look in that direction, dead pan, and crouch beside a military vehicle. She's all runnin' around in heels and a smart suit. The control board was just unpainted plywood. It was a thing of beauty.[/quotes]

Sounds like earth Vs. the Flying Saucers, another Harryhausen opus.

You might fault the acting, but Harryhausen delivered on the effects. Even as a kid I was impressed -- I'd seen films where you see the obviously fake "flying saucer" descend, then cut away, then see a cheesy shot of destructuion -- usually some stock footage tthat has nothing to do with the object supposedly destrroyed. Harryhausen, though, really gave you what you came for -- you actually see the flying saucers crasshing into the Capitol dome, the Supreme Court colonnade, and cutting the Washington Monument in half. So I'm not gonna bad-mouth EvTFS.

The Giant Claw, however, stole its best special effects from EvTFS. It also has what is easily the stupidest looking monster in all 1950s monsterdom, and the most embarassing explanations.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 AM

This one is from the 70's Logan's Run but it's always been my favorite cheesy sci-fi movie. Dreamed about Jessica 6 for many nights!!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Actually, this might not be It Came From Outer Space (in which Russell Johnson's character is taken over by an alien), but attack of the Crab Monsters, in which Russell Johnson does play a scientist, then gets taken over by/turned into a Giant Crab.

By the way, long before he was The Professor on Gilligan's Island, Johnson had played professor/scientist/techician roles in:

This Island Earth
Attack of the Crab Monsters
Space Children

anf an episode of the original Twilight Zone. He was never of the "Mad" Scientist variety, so he was admirably placed to become The Professor on GI.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=CalMeacham]
Quote:
Encore (either Action or Retro...I can't remember) ran a super-cheesy one yesterday. Mr. K and I were laughing our asses off! The flying saucers would crash into the Washington monument and the husband-and-wife stars would just look in that direction, dead pan, and crouch beside a military vehicle. She's all runnin' around in heels and a smart suit. The control board was just unpainted plywood. It was a thing of beauty.[/quotes]

Sounds like earth Vs. the Flying Saucers, another Harryhausen opus.

You might fault the acting, but Harryhausen delivered on the effects. Even as a kid I was impressed -- I'd seen films where you see the obviously fake "flying saucer" descend, then cut away, then see a cheesy shot of destructuion -- usually some stock footage tthat has nothing to do with the object supposedly destrroyed. Harryhausen, though, really gave you what you came for -- you actually see the flying saucers crasshing into the Capitol dome, the Supreme Court colonnade, and cutting the Washington Monument in half. So I'm not gonna bad-mouth EvTFS.

The Giant Claw, however, stole its best special effects from EvTFS. It also has what is easily the stupidest looking monster in all 1950s monsterdom, and the most embarassing explanations.
Well, I'll give you quality crashes (but just barely), with the exception of a few, but the acting was just sooooo baaaaaad. She'd just trot out to the battlefield and start hanging out with her husband! It was beautiful.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:47 PM

Some favorites from my childhood spent watching "Chiller" and "Creature Features":

Curse of the Faceless Man
Monster of Piedras Blancas
Bride of the Monster
King of the Zombies
Zombies of Mora Tau
The Cyclops
Frankenstein 1970
Old 05-01-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Some favorites from my childhood spent watching "Chiller" and "Creature Features":

Curse of the Faceless Man
Monster of Piedras Blancas
Bride of the Monster
King of the Zombies
Zombies of Mora Tau
The Cyclops
Frankenstein 1970
I'll agree with these. Chiller theater also seemed top own copies of:

Voodoo Island
The Ape Man
Monster on the Campus
The Neanderthal Man
The Cape Canaveral Monsters

as well as the aforementioned

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
Plan Nine ffrom Outer Space
Old 05-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

OOO!
OOO! OOO! OOO!

The Valley Of Gwangi!

Cowboys vs the Dinosaur.
Boo-Yah.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
Actually, this might not be It Came From Outer Space (in which Russell Johnson's character is taken over by an alien), but attack of the Crab Monsters, in which Russell Johnson does play a scientist, then gets taken over by/turned into a Giant Crab.

Well, that explains my faux pas. I had several movies all jumbled together in my mind.

Oh man, Valley of the Gwangi was AWESOME!! Rawhide meets Jurassic Park.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
No, both are first-class SF films of the time. Nothing cheesy about them, other than the fact that they get insulted because the CGI was so bad.
You have to admit that It Came From Outer Space had a certain amount of solid dairy matter in there, even for the time.

I mean, come on -- a 3D startle shot, complete with a scare chord, and then "Oh, it's just a joshua tree." Suspenseful scenes that lead up to a "false alarm" startle shot have always been cheesy -- but when your startle shot involves your characters creeping up on a stationary yucca out in the open in just the sort of place that you'd expect to find one, you're pushing it a bit even for mid-century sci-fi.

I'll take Robot Monster for best unadulterated cheese, though -- and if we can count the first few years of the '70s, I can never get enough Invasion of the Bee Girls, which still somehow feels like 1969, if you squint.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd
You have to admit that It Came From Outer Space had a certain amount of solid dairy matter in there, even for the time.

I mean, come on -- a 3D startle shot, complete with a scare chord, and then "Oh, it's just a joshua tree." Suspenseful scenes that lead up to a "false alarm" startle shot have always been cheesy -- but when your startle shot involves your characters creeping up on a stationary yucca out in the open in just the sort of place that you'd expect to find one, you're pushing it a bit even for mid-century sci-fi.
Perhaps, but look at the ending. That alone puts it beyond cheese. It's one of the better surprise endings in film, and I don't think anyone watching it today expects it coming. It was especially resonant when it was made, when it was a saying something very important about the time.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:03 PM

Look, can we get something straight. Any movie with stop-motion special effects by Mr Ray Harryhausen is by definition [/b]not[/b] cheesy. Even It came from beneath the sea with its five tentacled octopus (pentapus ?) is not cheesy. Consider the amount of work Ray put in his animations and you would understand why he is still respected and considered to be as close to the divine as possible by modern special effects technicians (of which many went into this line of work because of him).
Old 05-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Especially since there was no Computer Graphic Imaging at the time
Old 05-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I agree that nothin Harryhausen did was cheesy. However, usually the movies he did effects for were cheesy for reasons that had nothing to do with his animation. Usually, his work was the only thing that salvaged the movie.

Back to It Came From Outer Space: I realize part of my liking for the film is that I've seen it in 3D, as Arnold intended. That may be why some of the effect may seen cheesy today: they were to give a 3D thrill and it worked in that medium, but not flat.

And the most impressive 3D effect in the film wasn't any of the explosions or anything; it's the moment in the first reel when when scientist casually swings his telescope around to get a better view of the alien landing. It doesn't mean much flat, but in a theater in 3D, the audience ducked. It was an especially nice 3D effect because it was so casual and unexpected.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh man, Valley of the Gwangi was AWESOME!! Rawhide meets Jurassic Park.
Oooh!

Time for a remake!

Mit der CGI monsterkins, ya?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:41 PM

I'd nominate The Day of the Triffids. Cheesy? Yes. Favorite? Yes, one of them.

It was adapted from a book by John Wyndham that was actually quite readable, although definitely not one of his best*.

*I'd love to see an adaptation of "The Chrysalids" (aka Rebirth) but I think it may be too internal to translate well.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:03 PM

Oh dang. I don't think Triffids was cheesy either.

I saw most of these movies in a theater, when I was 10-15 years old, with kids my age. Our standards weren't terribly high, but we could tell the difference between a seriously good SF or horror movie and a silly piece of crap.

We laughed at a lot of these movies, but most of them were pretty good -- good enough to make us think or to scare us. Others, we'd just say "Oh that's just silly" and we'd have popcorn fights or neck.

I was older when I saw Triffids, and I thought it was pretty good. Maybe it was the concept -- blind people stalked by trees. I haven't seen it for awhile though, so maybe it doesn't hold up.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I was older when I saw Triffids, and I thought it was pretty good. Maybe it was the concept -- blind people stalked by trees. I haven't seen it for awhile though, so maybe it doesn't hold up.
The film is pretty bad. The BBC made a mini-series which is very close to the book. Its out on DVD in the UK & Australia, the US may not be far behind for a release.

RealityChuck the DVD of It came from Outer Space has an excellent commentary track which is worth checking out.

I'm going to have to track down a copy of Valley of the Gwangi After reading a few reviews it sounds like my kind of film
Old 05-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Other than one particularly good scene (on the airliner), the Triffids was dire. Not silly enough to be truly cheesy, though. Just bad.

I'll check out that commentary. Does the DVD come with 3D glasses, though?