Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:50 AM
hilllie hilllie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
"First Up Against The Wall When The Revolution Comes"

What is the origin of the phrase:
"First Up Against The Wall When The Revolution Comes"?

Is it "The HH Guide to the Galaxy" or did Adams take it from somewhere else?
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 05-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Pjen Pjen is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In Scotland (but English)
Posts: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilllie
What is the origin of the phrase:
"First Up Against The Wall When The Revolution Comes"?

Is it "The HH Guide to the Galaxy" or did Adams take it from somewhere else?
I remember hearing it in the UK prior to HHG.
  #3  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Peter Morris Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 11,478
There was a BBC Comedy about a would-be revolutionary leader in Tooting (that's south west London) Citizen Smith He repeatedly used the same line (see quotes section for a couple of examples) and it predates HHGGTG.
  #4  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:43 AM
tomndebb tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 40,323
That particular phrasing may have a specific origin (either Douglas Adams or Citizen Smith), but the general expression probably dates to the mid 1960s (at least). It was a pretty popular sentiment among the the people whom Wolfie Smith was created to mock. It also became a joke almost as soon as it became popular; references to someone being "first" "up against the wall" or "to be shot" (when the revolution comes) were a pretty standard mocking insult when I was in college, although its shorter form is also easy to confuse with the common phrase "up against the wall" that indicated police arresting someone and ordering them to stand spread-eagle facing a wall to be frisked.
  #5  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 AM
t-bonham@scc.net t-bonham@scc.net is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 13,452
There is a Nero Wolfe story from 1939 with a slightly different version of this phrase: referring to a wealthy mans' fancy town car, Archie says "Come the revolution, I'll take that". Referring, presumably, to a redistribution of wealth after a revolution.

So it would seem that phrases like that were in common use. Probably dating from the Communist revolution in 1917, or even back to the French Revolution in the 1700's.
  #6  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:51 AM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 40,574
David Peel used the phrase "Up Against the Wall" back in 1968, in his album Have a Marijuana. It didn't originate with him, but was a common phrase back then.
__________________
"East is East and West is West and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #7  
Old 05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Oy! Oy! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb
That particular phrasing may have a specific origin (either Douglas Adams or Citizen Smith), but the general expression probably dates to the mid 1960s (at least). It was a pretty popular sentiment among the the people whom Wolfie Smith was created to mock. It also became a joke almost as soon as it became popular; references to someone being "first" "up against the wall" or "to be shot" (when the revolution comes) were a pretty standard mocking insult when I was in college, although its shorter form is also easy to confuse with the common phrase "up against the wall" that indicated police arresting someone and ordering them to stand spread-eagle facing a wall to be frisked.
That's what "up against the wall" means? I always thought it meant "assume the proper position for a police search."


OK, so I'm an idiot...
  #8  
Old 05-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Slithy Tove Slithy Tove is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Buford, Georgia
Posts: 8,011
A lot of great phrases came out of the era of revolution.

Jack London, who died in 1916, used "Yours for the Revolution" instead of "Yours Truly," at the end of his letters. It was an era when people were poised for a great clearing away. A generation later, when the children of the pioneer Socialists were being targeted by McCarthism, they were known as "Red diaper babies."

By the 1930's, the Socialists' tiresome practice of relating all events and situations along Marxists doctrine of class struggle gave rise to (my favorite) the cynic's rejoinder "you can't class-angle a blowjob."

"To the Wall" goes back as far as the Commune of 1870 Paris, when both sides did exactly that (and the callouses or lack thereof on peoples hands were used as shibboleths to determine if they'd be shot or spared).

The French Revolution gave us any phrase involving "tumbrels," the refuse carts used to convey the nobility to their deaths.

Back then, the goal was to defeat the radical Communists & Anarchists without alienating the working people they claimed to represent. Today we seem to be doing the same vis-a-vie the radical Islamicists and the ordinary Moslems. I wonder if this will produce any colorful phrases?
  #9  
Old 05-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 36,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
David Peel used the phrase "Up Against the Wall" back in 1968, in his album Have a Marijuana. It didn't originate with him, but was a common phrase back then.
It appears that Black Panther Bobby Seale also used the phrase in a speech at the Fillmore East in 1968, saying either "Up against the wall, motherfuckers, we've come for what's ours!" (or "this is a stickup" according to other sources), addressing white society. In addition to police, hold-up men would also tell their quarry to stand against the wall. There was also a radical group in New York called "Up Against the Wall Motherfucker."

The phrase is also used in the Jefferson Airplane song We Can Be Together (1969).

Quote:
All your private property is
Target for your enemy
And your enemy is
We
We are forces of chaos and anarchy
Everything they say we are we are
And we are very
Proud of ourselves
Up against the wall
Up against the wall fred (motherfucker)*
Tear down the walls
Tear down the walls
This implies a meaning similar to both the revolutionary phrase and that of Bobby Seale: it is addressed to capitalist society.

*lyrics sheets say "fred," or sometimes "my friend," but "motherfucker" is clearly what's said.
  #10  
Old 05-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Pjen Pjen is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In Scotland (but English)
Posts: 5,688
Doing some more thinking, I remember this phrase in its entirity being used whilst I was at University in the UK- 1971-74, thus predating Citizen Smith.

It was often used sardonically of International Socialists or members of the International Marxist Group (splitters) by liberals or conservatives.

A Marxist would be spouting their repetitive catch phrases, and a non Marxist would say "He'll be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Of course, I remember 'Up against the wall M***** F*****' from the sixties in the US.
  #11  
Old 05-01-2006, 01:21 PM
caveman caveman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: City of the Violet Crown
Posts: 1,460
The phase reached its apotheosis, of course, in the tune Redneck Mother by Jerry Jeff Walker:

Up against the wall, redneck mother
Mother who has raised her son so well
He's 34 and drinking in a honky tonk
Just kicking hippies' asses and raising hell
  #12  
Old 05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
yabob yabob is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman
The phase reached its apotheosis, of course, in the tune Redneck Mother by Jerry Jeff Walker:

Up against the wall, redneck mother
Mother who has raised her son so well
He's 34 and drinking in a honky tonk
Just kicking hippies' asses and raising hell
Actually, Jerry Jeff covered it. It was written by Ray Wiley Hubbard.
  #13  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:47 PM
caveman caveman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: City of the Violet Crown
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabob
Actually, Jerry Jeff covered it. It was written by Ray Wiley Hubbard.
D'oh! I knew that...I even had a copy of Viva Terlingua sitting nearby and didn't bother to actually read the credits...
  #14  
Old 05-01-2006, 07:05 PM
tomndebb tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 40,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oy!
That's what "up against the wall" means? I always thought it meant "assume the proper position for a police search."
Well, depending on context, it can mean either, hence my comment that the two phrases can be confused.

"Line up to be shot" or "assume the position" are both pretty hostile expressions; they just both happened to use the image of a wall with the common verb phrase "up against."
  #15  
Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Oy! Oy! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb
Well, depending on context, it can mean either, hence my comment that the two phrases can be confused.

I missed that! Sorry!
  #16  
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Shalmanese Shalmanese is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,113
huh, I always assumed it referred to firing squads.
  #17  
Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 36,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb
Well, depending on context, it can mean either, hence my comment that the two phrases can be confused.

"Line up to be shot" or "assume the position" are both pretty hostile expressions; they just both happened to use the image of a wall with the common verb phrase "up against."
Seems to me there are at least three different antecedents for "up against the wall" based on the above references.

1) Execution by firing squad (after the revolution).

2) Being held up by a mugger (Bobby Seale's usage).

3) Being frisked by the police.

As an exclamation, these days it seems to refer mostly to #3, as in the song Redneck Mother.
  #18  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Götterfunken Götterfunken is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithy Tove
"To the Wall" goes back as far as the Commune of 1870 Paris, when both sides did exactly that
This is what I've always thought--the phrase calls to mind the executions of the generals Lecomte and Thomas, who had ordered their troops to fire on the crowds of Parisians who were blocking them from seizing the National Guard's cannons on the Butte Montmartre. After the troops refused these orders, the generals were taken captive, and eventually forced against the garden wall of a nearby house where they were shot to death.

And, yes, many of the Communards suffered a similar fate when the Commune fell--being lined up against walls (like the Mur des Federes in the Pere Lachaise cemetery) or their own barricades where they were shot by firing squads.
  #19  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 PM
StarvingButStrong StarvingButStrong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,298
Any relationship to "Watch the wall"? Basically an admonition to deliberately NOT witness when smugglers are doing their thing, so that the smugglers would know they didn't have to kill you to prevent your being a witness against them.


First verse of Kipling's "A Smuggler's Song":

If you wake at Midnight, and hear a horse's feet,
Don't go drawing back the blind, or looking in the street,
Them that asks no questions isn't told a lie.
Watch the wall, my darling, while the Gentlemen go by!
  #20  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:17 AM
Johanna Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 12,465
Up against the wall (of what used to be the university library) was where the bodies of abortionists, "unwomen," and "gender traitors" were hung in The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
__________________
Johanna often has interesting things to offer, even - especially - on the subjects of gender and women's issues. She is informed, intelligent, articulate, and totally unabashed about who she is.
Ensign Edison
  #21  
Old 05-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Cliffy Cliffy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 7,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri
Seems to me there are at least three different antecedents for "up against the wall" based on the above references.

1) Execution by firing squad (after the revolution).

2) Being held up by a mugger (Bobby Seale's usage).

3) Being frisked by the police.

As an exclamation, these days it seems to refer mostly to #3, as in the song Redneck Mother.
Perhaps, but the OP is indubitably about #1.

--Cliffy
  #22  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 36,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Perhaps, but the OP is indubitably about #1.

--Cliffy
Agreed. However, the discussion has branched out into the use of the phrase "Up against the wall" by itself, which crops up in various contexts, and may have different meanings.

I had always casually assumed the Jefferson Airplane lyric was in reference to police rounding up demonstrators (#3); but on reading the rest of the lyrics it seems that it must refer either to meaning #1 or #2.
  #23  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 70,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjen
Doing some more thinking, I remember this phrase in its entirity being used whilst I was at University in the UK- 1971-74, thus predating Citizen Smith.

It was often used sardonically of International Socialists or members of the International Marxist Group (splitters) by liberals or conservatives.

A Marxist would be spouting their repetitive catch phrases, and a non Marxist would say "He'll be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes...."
Ah, memories. At Oberlin College in the mid-1980s, there was a tiny cadre of the Spartacus Youth League. They passed out literature that almost always included the phrase "Smash Reagan's anti-Soviet war drive," or the like.

One of my buddies invariably declined their pamphlets, saying, "No, thanks. I smashed at the office."
  #24  
Old 05-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Operation Ripper Operation Ripper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Skylab
Posts: 1,954
Could it be derivative of Shakespeare's "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" from Henry VI, Part II?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017