The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Totally squicked out (roach related)

My apt generally does not have a bug problem but usually once in the spring and once in the fall when they spray the outside for roaches I will see one or two that I assume were chased inside and they usually appear to be dying.

Today i swaw one crawling accross the floor. I promply screamed and squashed it dead.

Thats not the bad part.

The squick comes now..... out of its rear end came squirming a single long thin nematode type roundworm. Like a freakin' pinworm or some godawful nightmarish thing. It was at least 5 times longer then the roach and it was alive.

I went totally numb and tried to distance myself from the reality of what I was seeing as I scooped the duo up and flushed them down the toilet. After 1 or a dozen flushes and mad, vicious hand scrubbing, only then would my mind allow me the squicking it knew would come.

ugh.... I think I have to move.
Advertisements  
Old 05-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Wow. You killed the worm's roach robot.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:42 PM

I...ohhhhhhhgaaaawd.
Roaches I can deal with. Spiders, snakes, earthworms, all ok.

PARASITE WORMS?! NO WAY. EXITING A DEAD ROACH?

HELL NO.

I hope I can get this out of my head before what should be a fantastic dinner tonight. Oh jeezus.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faruiza
I hope I can get this out of my head before what should be a fantastic dinner tonight. Oh jeezus.
I hope you're not having spaghetti.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imasquare
Oooo....you're mean.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 PM

Know what totally fuckin' pisses me off? I have 2, TWO major squick reactions. One is to Roaches (I have nightmares of them in my ears) and the other is Worms crawling out my ass, I once had a puppy squirt a colon full of worms out its ass in front of me when I was a kid. Yeah it was a total writhing spaghetti plate.

So what happens? I get a fucking roach with fucking worms out its ass as a good morning salute.

It never even occured to me that an insect could have a parasitic gut worm like that. i'm calling all Entomologists to tell me that I am wrong and a fucking roach couldnt poop out a fucking parasitic worm and that I imagined the whole thing.

Please, anyone?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:41 PM

I can't help but wonder if the roach saw the irony in his fate and your username.

Reminds me of the question:

What's the last thing to go through a roaches mind before you step on him?

I dunno, but for his ass it's a big freakin' worm!!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 AM

Moniliformis moniliformis?

Quote:
The American cockroach, Periplaneta americana, is the intermediate host for the acanthocephalan, Moniliformis moniliformis. This is a parasite of the small intestines of rats, and it has been used as an experimental model to study the biology of acanthocephala.
http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~dc20...es/hymenol.jpg
Old 05-20-2006, 08:02 AM

You flushed the worm down the toilet as well? Uh oh! What if it crawls back up again, you know, when you sit there... it wanting revenge by turning you into its cockroach robot...
Old 05-23-2006, 03:59 PM

Why is there no 'undo' function in my brain when I'm reading things??

That's funny, I also have a terrible fear of both roaches and live things coming out of other things' asses. Well, at least you have a great story for your grandkids.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotick
You flushed the worm down the toilet as well? Uh oh! What if it crawls back up again, you know, when you sit there... it wanting revenge by turning you into its cockroach robot...
And what if it brings it's big brother?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:43 PM

I dunno whether you out-squick me and my innocent swatting of a mama housefly when I was small, who promptly released umpteen dozen eensy jiggly maggots right before my well and truly grossed-out young eyes.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:56 PM

Ewwwwwww!!!!!!

Quote:
This is a parasite of the small intestines of rats
Just when I thought this thread couldn't possibly get any more revolting...

EEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!

You do know that might mean that, in addition to roaches, you have RATS in your house.

Nuking it from orbit, even with the Tsar Bomba, just doesn't seem like enough...
Old 05-23-2006, 06:59 PM

That is so truly revolting, I dry heaved just a little bit We have those ginormous flying palmetto bugs here, and no mattter how many years I live here, I will never be able to deal. Blech.

One time, years ago, my boyfriend and I returned home one night to find our toilet flooding our bathroom. While he was trying to shut the water off, I glanced up at the wall in the shower and saw two probably four inch long roaches, ass to ass, presumably having mad roach sex. I let out a 1950's horror movie style shreik and yelled "nevermind the fucking water, kill those bastards!" He whacked them (with what, I can't recall) and they slid down the wall together, oozing brown and white slime that formed a lovely puddle in the tub. Holy crap, I feel like I could honestly throw up just thinking about it.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imasquare
I'm eating ramen right now.

Not really. But I could be.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:13 PM

OK, I have managed to selectivly forget that portion of my life and I urge you all to do the same. Please..... This thread never existed see.....

LaLaLa Happy thoughts.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug
I dunno whether you out-squick me and my innocent swatting of a mama housefly when I was small, who promptly released umpteen dozen eensy jiggly maggots right before my well and truly grossed-out young eyes.
How is that possible? IIRC maggots come from laid eggs that hatch, not live birth.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Wolf
Wow. You killed the worm's roach robot.
I believe this is not far from the truth. The horsehair worm actually controls the roach's brain, so that it heads towards water and drowns, while the worm survives to, presumably, bear its larvae.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:42 PM

F'ING HELL, WHY oh WHY did I open that link?!

I now have a terminal case of the screaming jeebies.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro
How is that possible? IIRC maggots come from laid eggs that hatch, not live birth.
I dunno but I'll back him up. When I was a kid I nailed a fly on the kitchen counter by bopping it with a newpaper, enough to kill but not enough to crush. Ran to go do something, came back to find some little yellowish-white worms had evacuated the dead fly and were crawling across the counter top. So I did what any sensible person would, grabbed a can of Lysol and a lighter, and purified that goddamn situation. A couple years later I bopped another one and let the corpse sit to see what would happen this time. Sure enough, maggoty-looking worms emerged.

Open flame kills roaches good, takes the wings off right away. No better way to kill them except for this dry aerosol can of stuff I had once when I was a kid. They don't make it anymore, Black Flag was the brand I think. Roaches just fell over when it hit them, I mean no squirming, just total cessation of life in the roach. If you sprayed a trail of ants with it they'd die instantly...and no ants would come out to pick the ant corpses. They'd stay there forever, whatever it was in that spray was so nasty. I wish I knew where to find some of that again.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:18 AM

Total cessation of life for a roach sounds pretty damn good. I hate how the sprays let them live long enough to crawl back under the stove or behind the cabinet so I can't actually SEE the corpses. How do I know they're not all taking a little roach shower back there, washing off the Raid, huh? (OK, OK I know it's far-fetched...)
It does me no good to envision the corpse attracting the interest of a passing ant or two to run and tell his friends about the new food source.

Dammit, I need closure!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:55 PM

When I was in grad school, there was a gi-normous roach that lived in the women's restroom in the wing of the department where I worked as a TA, on the sixth floor of the building. None of us wanted to squash it, because *all* of us knew that it was easier to ignore a roach that ran away from you than it was to have to clean up a squashed bug that size.

One day, a colleague and I decided that the best approach was to catch the roach and drop it out the window. So we did. We watched that sucker fall down six stories, banging against the building wall several times on the way down. It landed on a cement sidewalk, and was large enough that we could see its brown shape even from the sixth floor, *as it scurried away from the building*!

Those things are NOT easy to kill!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug
This happened to me once too. Just the grossest thing I'd ever seen.