The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Comments on Cecil's Columns/Staff Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Oakminster Oakminster is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
triple-ought buckshot??

Today's "classic column" (originally run April 14, 1995) contains a reference to triple-ought buckshot:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a950414b.html

Is this a typo? I've never heard of anything bigger than double ought buckshot. I am aware that some shotgun shells are loaded with deer slugs, but that isn't considered shot, is it?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 AM
engineer_comp_geek engineer_comp_geek is offline
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,905
Look here (scroll down towards the bottom until you see the table for buckshot):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Oakminster Oakminster is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Well, there ya go. Is triple ought a common load? I might like to shoot a few rounds just to compare to double ought....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Exgineer Exgineer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek
Look here (scroll down towards the bottom until you see the table for buckshot):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell
That table sucks. It calls for 8 shot per ounce for 00, when everybody and his grandmother knows there are 9. There's your problem with open-source information: you can't trust any of it.

I've never seen commercially available 000, but I'm not going to say it doesn't exist. But then, I've never really looked very hard, and wouldn't use it if I found it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2006, 09:34 AM
John W. Kennedy John W. Kennedy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chatham, NJ, USA
Posts: 4,731
You know, it's not particularly difficult to Google "000 buckshot".

It's also not difficult to Google "00 buckshot" and "per ounce". As far as I can see, 8 00 buckshot per ounce is correct. Looks like you and your grandmother have been using single-ought.
__________________
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
-- Charles Williams. Taliessin through Logres: Prelude
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2006, 05:46 PM
bdgr bdgr is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
I think I still have a 000 shell around here some where. I used to carry them in my shotgun when I worked security a couple of decades ago. It was a heavy gang area and I wanted a load that would punch through a car door in case of a drive by. IIRC it has six pellets about .38 caliber but thats from memory and I'm old. I bought them at a gun store. If I can find one of the shells I'll try to get a picture of it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2006, 05:49 PM
bdgr bdgr is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/000buck_cefh.htm

Boy was I off on the number of pellets....old age sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Nars Glinley Nars Glinley is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Federal and Winchester both make commercial 000 shells. You can find info on them on their sites.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Unregistered Bull Unregistered Bull is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
They even have .410 loaded with 000 . A 3" version.

There is also an air pistol / carbine that shoots 000.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Exgineer Exgineer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
I actually went home last night and weighed some 00 buckshot, and man was I wrong. It's 8 per ounce, and nine per shell (2 3/4").

I have an excuse, but nobody wants to hear it. I may have spent too many years loading my own shells, because I actually forgot that 12 gauge shot loads properly range between an ounce and a eighth and an ounce and a quarter. I put an even ounce in my skeet loads, because 12 gauge recoil in a fixed-breech gun gets tiresome for me after the first hundred rounds. Cutting the shot load back a little really seems to help, and one ounce still smashes up targets just fine.

On a board ostensibly dedicated to fighting ignorance it's embarrasing when I pop off with bad information, especially when I really do know better. I'm endebted to John W. Kennedy for jerking me up short when I needed it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Lumpy Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 12,672
I found quadruple-aught (0000) buckshot on a Google search! .38" ball compared to .36" for triple-aught. Apparently it's rare but you can get it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
tmc1 tmc1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
triple ought buckshot

I bought the triple ought at a gun store in Newnan. They are Remington Magnum Buckshot 12 ga 3 inch 10 pellets at 1225 fps.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Nars Glinley Nars Glinley is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc1 View Post
I bought the triple ought at a gun store in Newnan. They are Remington Magnum Buckshot 12 ga 3 inch 10 pellets at 1225 fps.
They're good for zombies.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 39,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgineer View Post
I actually went home last night and weighed some 00 buckshot, and man was I wrong. It's 8 per ounce, and nine per shell (2 3/4").

I have an excuse, but nobody wants to hear it. I may have spent too many years loading my own shells, because I actually forgot that 12 gauge shot loads properly range between an ounce and a eighth and an ounce and a quarter. I put an even ounce in my skeet loads, because 12 gauge recoil in a fixed-breech gun gets tiresome for me after the first hundred rounds. Cutting the shot load back a little really seems to help, and one ounce still smashes up targets just fine.

On a board ostensibly dedicated to fighting ignorance it's embarrasing when I pop off with bad information, especially when I really do know better. I'm endebted to John W. Kennedy for jerking me up short when I needed it.
Dude, accepting the correction gracefully can only make you look good.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
silenus silenus is offline
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
They're good for zombies.

Oh, good. Than I'm prepared. I have two boxes of the stuff in the safe. That ought to get me out of the neighborhood at least.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 AM
mangeorge mangeorge is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 14,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgr View Post
I think I still have a 000 shell around here some where. I used to carry them in my shotgun when I worked security a couple of decades ago. It was a heavy gang area and I wanted a load that would punch through a car door in case of a drive by. IIRC it has six pellets about .38 caliber but thats from memory and I'm old. I bought them at a gun store. If I can find one of the shells I'll try to get a picture of it.
Will even a 000 penetrate a car door? All I know is what I see in movies, etc.
Peace,
mangeorge
__________________
Stop smoking. Do it!
Neither Windshield nor Bug am I.
Give us br'er rabbits.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 AM
silenus silenus is offline
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41,174
It will, at any reasonable range. Car doors aren't all that sturdy and puncture-resistant. A little sheet metal or plastic, open space, a glass window (if it's down) and a liner. Not much to stop a decent weight shotgun pellet or 6.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
mangeorge mangeorge is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 14,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
It will, at any reasonable range. Car doors aren't all that sturdy and puncture-resistant. A little sheet metal or plastic, open space, a glass window (if it's down) and a liner. Not much to stop a decent weight shotgun pellet or 6.
Well, then. I'm not going to drive slowly and suspiciously past bdgr's house any time soon. At least not in my candy-apple green and pink Buick with 24s and spinners.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 AM
C K Dexter Haven C K Dexter Haven is offline
Right Hand of the Master
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago north suburb
Posts: 16,082
tmc1, welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, we're glad you're here.

Just to let everyone note, prior to tmc1's post, the prior post was from July 2006. That's what we call a "zombie" or "resurrected" thread, hence explaining Nars Glinley's otherwise cryptic comment. We're OK with such resurrections in this forum, so long as there's new information. However, please be aware of that gap. For instance, if you're commenting on someone's post from four years ago, don't be surprised if you don't get a response.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 AM
mangeorge mangeorge is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 14,089
This is new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
They're good for zombies.
Bring on them there zombies.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.