The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Robert DeNiro and black women

Actor Robert DeNiro has a reputation for having relationships with black women. But how true is this? I know his current wife is black and I know he had a child with another black woman. But has he had other black women in his life besides these two women? Was his first wife black?
Advertisements  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I knew he's had a thing for one black woman: model Toukie Smith, a long-term girlfriend and sister of the late fashion designer Willi Smith. I'd never really heard of him being with other black women, though. Turns out I am wrong.

Both his first wife Diahnne Abbott, and his second wife, Grace Hightower. Any time the mothers of all yiur kids are black, and you're not, and you married two of them, I'd say, yeah, he definitely has a thing for African-American women.

For years I thought the interracial love story subplot in "A Bronx Tale" was at least partly autobiographical and based on DeNiro's teenage life.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

I figured if it was just two it might be a coincidence. But three's starting to shape into a trend.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Hey, good for him! It seems(to me anyway) you see a lot of white men who love Asian women, but never white men who find Black women especialy attractive.

Why not?

I'm amazed by men who not only have good luck with any ladies, but can actually have good luck with one specific race! How's he do that?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

-smile- How can one even write this sentence without getting into a bucketful of trouble?

Ahhh, I do love black women. Also asian women and white women. So there. I was quite aflame for a black gal when I was in high school. ( I'm as whiteboy as they come). -sniffle- It didn't last, but oh god. Oooooh, Bonnie. Wherefore art thou, Bonnie?

I dunno why, Mahaloth. Racism? Trouble wrapping one's head around a woman/person who seems so different than one's self?

I'd read this about DeNiro. Didn't mean as much to me as the fact that he gained and lost alla that weight for Raging Bull.

Cartooniverse
Old 07-24-2006, 09:21 PM

For his part, DeNiro does little to dispel this conception onscreen. Along with the aforementioned Bronx Tale, he also was paired with Angela Bassett in The Score. I seem to recall him making jokes about his relationships on TV (SNL?).
Old 07-24-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askia
I knew he's had a thing for one black woman: model Toukie Smith, a long-term girlfriend and sister of the late fashion designer Willi Smith. I'd never really heard of him being with other black women, though. Turns out I am wrong.

Both his first wife Diahnne Abbott, and his second wife, Grace Hightower. Any time the mothers of all yiur kids are black, and you're not, and you married two of them, I'd say, yeah, he definitely has a thing for African-American women.

For years I thought the interracial love story subplot in "A Bronx Tale" was at least partly autobiographical and based on DeNiro's teenage life.
Anything's possible, but the movie was based on a one-man show, written and performed by Chazz Palmintieri, and Palmintieri says it was based largely on his own life. So I suspect the subplot had little to do with DeNiro.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth
It seems(to me anyway) you see a lot of white men who love Asian women, but never white men who find Black women especialy attractive.
Well, there's me for one. Not that I've ever had much luck there, though my first real date in high school was with a black girl. In my area I seem to notice at least as many black woman/white guy couples as the other way around; probably more.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Well, we are all that and a bag of chips.

Seriously, does anybody care when a white man marries two blonde women and has a baby with anther blonde woman? How about if a guy marries women of different colors with huge boobies?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl

Seriously, does anybody care when a white man marries two blonde women and has a baby with anther blonde woman?
Well, I would care if the white man had the baby. That'd be damn interesting.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How about if a guy marries women of different colors with huge boobies?
If he married a woman with huge boobies of different colors, now that would be worth commenting on.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:58 AM

He also dated Naomi Campbell back in the 90s. But I don't think he exclusively dates black women.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:05 AM

I'd hit that.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Seriously, does anybody care when a white man marries two blonde women and has a baby with anther blonde woman? How about if a guy marries women of different colors with huge boobies?
I don't think anybody cares in the sense they think it's a bad thing. Interracial dating and marriage is no big whoop these days, but it wasn't that long ago that this wasn't the case. DeNiro is from a generation where this tended to raise a few eyebrows. Coupled with the fact that he is pretty much world famous and has been for decades, I can see where this would be an interesting factoid to some people.

Slight hijack: I once dated a guy (very, verrrrry white) whose four sisters were all either married to ,or had children by, black men. Did I care? No. It did strike me as odd, though.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 AM

For some reason, when I learn about a white guy's attraction to black women, it makes him seem more appealing to me.

Take David Bowie. He's a strange looking dude, but if he invited me over for a little sum'n-sum'n, I wouldn't say no. I'd be like, "Get out the bed, Iman. This is my man!"

Holla!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I have no issues with white men dating black women (or Asian women). I'm a white man who's dated black women and Asian women. But when you see somebody, of any race or either gender, dating exclusively outside of their own race you have to start wondering if they're dating individuals or dating the race.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:30 AM

Well, some men like blondes. Rod Stewart seems to exclusively hook up with blondes. DeNiro just finds a different kind of woman attractive.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah
Well, some men like blondes. Rod Stewart seems to exclusively hook up with blondes. DeNiro just finds a different kind of woman attractive.

Yeah, I think it's probably just what one finds attractive. I tend to like guys with dusky skin; I just find it attractive and eye-catching. Consequently, I'm attracted to latin types and asian guys. Am I dating the race? No, I'm also attacted to tanned white guys, it's just that the features that catch my eye happen to be cmmonly associated with people of backgrounds different from mine (Irish glow-in-the-dark white).
Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 AM

It's probably nothing more complicated than liking women with brown skin, dark hair, and other physical features commonly associated with black women. Some men have a thing for young women. Some men like blondes. And some prefer chocolate over vanilla. Doesn't have to be any deeper than that.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:15 PM

I dated a black girl in college (I am white). This was in 1981, in a conservative Christian college in Nashville, and the race thing was never a problem because we saw each other as individuals with a lot of common interests -- neither of us were trained to think of things in racial terms. We dated as individuals, not ars members of our respective races!

I have known one black guy who was obsessed with blonde women and one white guy who was obsessed with Asian women. They did think in terms of race, to the point of being rather silly about it, if you ask me!

Another observation: one time (mid 1990s) I overheard a conversation between two guys about interracial relationships "back when it mattered" (their term/phrase), say back in the sixties and early seventies. One of the guys was talking about people that he knew from high school and college. The other guy mentioned two celebrities of opposite races -- he was black, she was white; time and a deteriorating brain prevent me from recalling the specific actors. The first guy retorted, "Oh, that is different, they are both celebrities. Celebrities are a breed apart!" I always thought that was funny! Once you achieve celebrity status, the rules and mores of regular society don't really apply to you anymore!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror
I seem to recall him making jokes about his relationships on TV (SNL?).
He did play a sketch as Thomas Jefferson flirting with a black slave, played by Maya Rudolph. ("When do you get off work?" "Uh, never.")
Old 07-25-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Seriously, does anybody care when a white man marries two blonde women and has a baby with anther blonde woman?
Well, yeah. There has been a thing or two said about John Cleese marrying three American blondes in succession.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh great. Now I'm envisioning Biggirl naked, oiled and covered with Ruffles chips. --whimper--

( having met her, and her sublimely genteel hubby, I feel somewhat safe saying this. Somewhat. Not " I would stand at the intersection of DeKalb and Flatbush and scream it at the top of my lungs" safe, but you know.... safe. )
Old 07-25-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew
In my area I seem to notice at least as many black woman/white guy couples as the other way around; probably more.
In and around New York, haven of diversity though we are, it's way less common for the Black partner to be female.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB
Slight hijack: I once dated a guy (very, verrrrry white) whose four sisters were all either married to ,or had children by, black men. Did I care? No. It did strike me as odd, though.
I've seen two families like this. Both families very, very white:

Norwegian family: Three children - older daughter and younger fraternal twins. The older daughter married and divorced three Samoans in a row, then a black man, before marrying and divorcing a white man older than her dad. Not sure what her relationship status is at the moment. The twins have each been married once (and are still married to their first spouses). The daughter-twin is married to a black man, and the son-twin is married to a Samoan woman.

French family: Biological son and daughter, and one adopted Korean daughter. Son married a Korean woman. Biological daughter had an out-of-wedlock child with a black guy, and eventually married a different black man. Adopted Korean daughter had an out-of-wedlock child with a Korean guy, but I don't know her current status.

My city has a large Hispanic population. For decades this population was migrant - here during harvest and then gone. But it was fairly common to see a Hispanic man hook up with a white woman - usually an overweight blonde. Now that the Hispanic population is more permanent, I'm pleased to see that white man/Hispanic woman hookups are just as common. Though this tends to be more common among the younger generations, who have actually gotten to attend school with Hispanics. Up through my generation, the migrant Hispanic workers didn't send their kids to school and so we didn't have much opporunity to socialize with them.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askia
model Toukie Smith, a long-term girlfriend and sister of the late fashion designer Willi Smith.
kinky.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo
kinky.

Especially since he was into guys.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

It's two and a half times as common for a black man to be married to a white woman as for a white man to be married to a black woman (in the U.S.):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracial_marriage
Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
How about if a guy marries women of different colors with huge boobies?
Wait, are the boobies different colors? 'Cause that would be cool!

Count me in as a guy whose okay with the darker members of the fairer sex. I tend to like women of all colors and most shapes, although I've never been terribly thrilled with Asian women. Just not my thing. If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to pick just ONE type (and that would be a horrible day!) I'd probably go for Latinas. Ironically, this remains the one major ethnic category I have never gone on a single date with.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug
In and around New York, haven of diversity though we are, it's way less common for the Black partner to be female.
Yeah, I've noticed since I moved to eastern PA last year the races seem to seperate out a little more thoroughly here than on the West Coast. It's unfortunate.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Wait, are the boobies different colors? 'Cause that would be cool!
I figured "women of different colors with huge boobies" referred to someone like Element Girl.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to pick just ONE type (and that would be a horrible day!) I'd probably go for Latinas. Ironically, this remains the one major ethnic category I have never gone on a single date with.
There may be a connection.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed since I moved to eastern PA last year the races seem to seperate out a little more thoroughly here than on the West Coast. It's unfortunate.
Not to take this discussion off course, but why, in your opinion, is that unfortunate? Please don't read anything into that question; I simply don't understand.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priceguy
There may be a connection.
There isn't. I just don't run into Latina women much. I haven't ;ived in may places where they are common.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Not to take this discussion off course, but why, in your opinion, is that unfortunate? Please don't read anything into that question; I simply don't understand.
Because, with a rainbow's worth of members of the oposite sex to choose from, why do people decide to stick to their own kind? Life's an adventure, live it up, I say. But I'm in the minority, apparently. I just think women are women and men are men, no matter their color.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Because, with a rainbow's worth of members of the oposite sex to choose from, why do people decide to stick to their own kind? Life's an adventure, live it up, I say. But I'm in the minority, apparently. I just think women are women and men are men, no matter their color.
Why? Speaking for myself, I happen to be most physically attracted to "my own kind". I don't think there's much "deciding" involved. Not to say that I would never date someone of another race if I was attracted to them, but I also wouldn't do it just to prove something. I agree people are people, regardless of their color or whatever, but sometimes it just seems that people go out of their way to show how darned openminded they are (I'm not saying you're doing that, Lizard).
Old 07-26-2006, 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=WOOKINPANUB]Why? Speaking for myself, I happen to be most physically attracted to "my own kind". I don't think there's much "deciding" involved.

I think that is the "default setting" for most people on the planet! Most of the time, the majority of people will be most attracted to their own race/nationality/ethnic group. When there are various races and ethnic groups living in close proximity, a few people will pair off with members of other groups, but most will stay within their own nationality or race. I think its just human nature.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Why? Speaking for myself, I happen to be most physically attracted to "my own kind". I don't think there's much "deciding" involved. Not to say that I would never date someone of another race if I was attracted to them, but I also wouldn't do it just to prove something. I agree people are people, regardless of their color or whatever, but sometimes it just seems that people go out of their way to show how darned openminded they are (I'm not saying you're doing that, Lizard).
Well, no particular reason "Why," I just think it's more fun that way. As for there being no decision, that's not true. You can decide to try something different from what you always do. If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. But if you know what you really like, by all means stick with it. I'm not knocking that. But I don't know what I really like, so I'm not crossing anyone off.
And you're correct I'm not trying to trumpet my openmindedness. Someone made a comment and I responded. No big whoop.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Well, no particular reason "Why," I just think it's more fun that way. As for there being no decision, that's not true. You can decide to try something different from what you always do. If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. But if you know what you really like, by all means stick with it. I'm not knocking that. But I don't know what I really like, so I'm not crossing anyone off.
And you're correct I'm not trying to trumpet my openmindedness. Someone made a comment and I responded. No big whoop.
No whoop indeed, Geddy, I mean Lizard
Old 07-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Pretty is pretty no matter what the color. If I'm attracted to her, then I'm gonna pounce, color be damned.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Least Original User Name Ever
Pretty is pretty no matter what the color. If I'm attracted to her, then I'm gonna pounce, color be damned.
That has always been my attitude -- attractive women come in all colors! My previous comment about "Most people, most of the time, will be most attracted to members of their own ethnic group/nationality/race" probably needs to be qualified by the following statement (that most guys will operate by) : "I find any girl with a pretty face, nice hair, and a curvaceous figure attractive, regardless of ethnicity/skin color, but I will probably have the best chance of getting along with someone of my background/culture/etc." Do you think most guys of this and previous generations feel this way, or do you disagree?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gytalf2000
That has always been my attitude -- attractive women come in all colors! My previous comment about "Most people, most of the time, will be most attracted to members of their own ethnic group/nationality/race" probably needs to be qualified by the following statement (that most guys will operate by) : "I find any girl with a pretty face, nice hair, and a curvaceous figure attractive, regardless of ethnicity/skin color, but I will probably have the best chance of getting along with someone of my background/culture/etc." Do you think most guys of this and previous generations feel this way, or do you disagree?
Personally, I think guys of previous generations usually didn't even consider relationships with women of other races; I would bet most white men thought of non-white women, if at all, solely for ther sexual qualities and nothing more. What kind of woman I like is defined by a set of attitudes, and I have found race is not a factor there.