The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-25-2006, 08:10 AM

Diet Pepsi Jazz: 'Strawberries and Cream' and 'Black Cherry and French Vanilla'

Anyone tried these? We're usually a test market here, so they may not be available other places yet.

Strawberries and Cream tastes like red cream soda. VERY VERY VERY sweet. I like sweet, but this stuff is over the top.

Black Cherry and French Vanilla tastes like cherry bubble gum. Also, very very very sweet.

You feel like you've eaten a bunch of bubble gum after drinking them.
Advertisements  
Old 07-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:42 AM

D'oh. Thanks, Czarcasm.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Are these available in a non-diet version? They sound like they would be tasty, but I've yet to find an artificial sweetener that doesn't taste terrible.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:09 PM

I loves me my Diet Cherry Pepsi and all, but am I the only one who thinks all these specialty cola flavors is getting out of hand?
Electric Escape -- Information superhighway rest area #10,186
Old 07-25-2006, 03:28 PM

I tied the cherries and cream one, it has a plesant taste with not to bad of an arificial sugar aftertaste. The thing that got me was the aftertaste of the artificial strawberries. It was not horrible, but I don't think I would try it again.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

There's also Caramel Cream, which tastes much better than the black cherry bubble gum flavor.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-05-2007 at 11:55 AM..
Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM

I actually like the strawberries and cream one. Dunno why, but I do. I haven't tried the cherry vanilla one or whatever, because I'm not nuts about cherry flavored colas.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM

I've tried the stawberries and cream and I liked it except for the aftertaste. When will they figure out how to make that diet aftertaste not taste like diet?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I like all the 'flavored' Diet Cola Drinks. I've pretty much switched from Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi because Coke doesn't seem to want to stock the 'flavored' Diet Cokes in the store I shop (I buy almost exclusively the 2 ltr bottles). I also like the the flavored Diet Dr Peppers.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:23 PM

I like the caramel cream one, but I haven't tried the others.

I wish Coke would make more flavors though - the diet Pepsi flavors taste a lot sweeter to me, almost too sweet.

I like the Dr. Peppers, too - especially black cherry vanilla! I tried the raspberries & cream Dr. P, but I thought it was foul.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm a bit of a Diet Pepsi addict - Lime is by far my favorite, followed closely by Vanilla and then Caramel Cream. The berry flavors just don't work for me, Strawberry & Cream was cloying, like drinking perfumed syrup, only had Black Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, but it also was just too much.

I can't imagine putting rum in the berry flavors, so that's another strike against them
Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 PM

I don't like the strawberry one, but then again, I don't like strawberries. I do like the caramel and black cherry versions.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

I try and seem to love all the diet flavors that Pepsi has. But TOO sweet? No such thing.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher
There's also Caramel Cream, which tastes much better than the black cherry bubble gum flavor.
Oh, do I adore that one. The strawberries and cream one is yummy as well, but Caramel Cream!

And really, I'm getting used to the diet pop taste. I'll drink diet root beer, or whatever. The only thing is, why can't they make Dr. Pepper in caffeine free?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:49 PM

Like this?

http://store.drsoda.com/caffredietdr.html
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

I want to refer you to this superb PIT rant by Euthanasiast back on 07-26-2006

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...iet+Pepsi+Jazz

"Anybody want a rim job?
Thanks to the fresh, new and exciting taste of Diet Pepsi, Jazz, Black Cherry & French Vanilla, and for a limited time only, I will be tossing salads like a mother fuck just so I can get the taste of this rancid chipmunk spunk out of my mouth.

With a hook like, "Indulge your senses." on the label I was certain that I had found a new favorite among the already shitty diet soda catalog out there, but what I didn't expect was that the only senses getting indulged were Rallo's, the recent parolee who is more hung than a three-balled Himalayan yak and has a nasty habit of jammimg a flaming oil rag in my mouth and packing it down with a vigorous Fight Club face-fucking!

And just what is contained within the swollen root-shaped plastic mcnasty bottle that can be used to fuck-start you when you black out from sampling this anal seepage?

Let's see: Carbonated waste water from a slaughter house septic tank, caramel color, natural & artificial flavors (extract of ass & burnt baby doll hair), phosphoric acid, ass-partame, potassium benzoate (maintains bile-like aftertaste), citric acid, potassium citrate, caffeine, acesulfame potassium (never heard of that one before, but I bet a plug nickel that it assists in rounding out the rotten haggis flavor that sits in the back of your throat for about 3 hours after you partake in this carbonated abortion), and the screaming souls of a thousand dead children.

"For comments or questions," the label informs me, "Call 1-800-433-xxxx". Oh, you bet your fur I got questions, I got questions like Van Camp's got beans! Like how in the fucking fuck did you get a Johnny Cash song in a bottle? and did your marketing designers do enough R&D to catch on to the fact that if you whack yourself in the nuts with a stapler while partaking in this taste bud holocaust it actually minimizes the sensation of your tongue being gang raped? I got lock jaw and night vision after drinking this shit!

So back your asses right the hell up and "Indulge your senses" as I work your sphincter like fucking Zamfir on Desoxyn and a double shot espresso. Whatever the fuck it takes to get the taste of Pepsi's new "Can't-get-it-off-my-mind-or-the-back-of-my-fucking-throat" savory, septic, dog shit delight!"
Old 04-05-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGeek
Perhaps I should have said, why can't I get it in my area. I've heard they do make it, but I've never been able to find it, dammit.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...iet+Pepsi+Jazz

"Anybody want a rim job?
Thanks to the fresh, new and exciting taste of Diet Pepsi, Jazz, Black Cherry & French Vanilla, and for a limited time only, I will be tossing salads like a mother fuck just so I can get the taste of this rancid chipmunk spunk out of my mouth.
(ed: more glorious rectal/reproductive references snipped for space)

I tried this stuff because I misread the label and thought it was Black Cherry Diet Pepsi. That sounded nice. Whoops.

Black Cherry Diet Pepsi sounds ok. French Vanilla Diet Pepsi sounds ok. Beer is good. Ice cream is good. Mixing the beer and ice cream is an abomination unto the baby Jesus. BCFVDP is at the very least vomiting on the relics of a few minor saints.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Are any of these available caffeine free? I just can't bring myself to try them if they're not.

Which, if you think about it, is kind of weird. I mean, "Caffeine free Strawberries and Cream Pepsi Jazz" sounds like a few too many adjectives added onto Pepsi, doesn't it?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 PM

The diet black cherry jazz has been my soda of choice for months now. Love it and hope it stays on the market.

Last edited by flickster; 04-05-2007 at 10:53 PM..
Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie
I tried this stuff because I misread the label and thought it was Black Cherry Diet Pepsi. That sounded nice. Whoops.

Black Cherry Diet Pepsi sounds ok. French Vanilla Diet Pepsi sounds ok. Beer is good. Ice cream is good. Mixing the beer and ice cream is an abomination unto the baby Jesus. BCFVDP is at the very least vomiting on the relics of a few minor saints.
You spoke too soon.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm

IIRC, Ben and Jerry's makes a beer ice-cream-the Black and Tan variety, that caused so much controversy in Ireland?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 PM

And on Baby Jesus's resurrection day! Will the sacrilege never end???
Old 04-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth
Ah, you beat me to it. What an awesome rant.

I tried both of the Pepsi Diet Jazz sodas last summer. The taste of each is...um...unique. I can tolerate the 'Strawberries & Cream' flavor but not the 'rancid chipmunk spunk,' which is the worst soda I've ever tasted.