Old 07-25-2006, 12:08 PM

"Gravity Hills" and other anomalies

There's a section of roadway near the exitway from Edwin Warner Park on the outskirts of Nashville where (before the road was blocked off to traffic) you used to be able to park, leave the car in neutral with the brake off and "coast" uphill.

This article has a chart of other such places and a description of the phenomenon and its typical resolution.

Are you near such a place? Have you checked it out for yourself?

Do you know of other such oddities?

For instance, do you know of a place where the flow of a waterway (river, creek, stream) appears to go uphill?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:38 PM

Knott's Berry Farm used to have a small "house" full of such illusions (man-made, of course) but I don't remember what it was called and I think they took it out. Everything surrounding the inclines would be placed so as to make them appear to slope the other way. The same concept is often referred to as a "Mystery Spot" as one of the most famous ones is "The Mystery Spot" in Santa Cruz, CA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_hill explains it pretty well.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 PM

This site talks about a "mystery spot" at Santa Cruz, CA.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 PM

Heh. Darn that server -- just pipped.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM

There's a "Wonder Spot" at the Wisconsin Dells. I've only seen the brochures, but even as a kid, I suspected what was really going on.

Here's James Randi's explanation of the Oregon Vortex.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sapiens
Here's James Randi's explanation of the Oregon Vortex.
Reading further down the site, what's a 10-sigma person?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 PM

There is one of these hills near Ward, CO. I was pretty impressed with it, but have since learned that it is an optical illusion. Natural, of course. Still pretty cool.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

There's one near Burkittsville, MD. I did it once as a teenager, though it's pretty easy to figure out it's an illusion. It looks like the Burkittsville web site has some more on it.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:41 PM

In case you haven't checked out the link in the OP, several of the sites alluded to in these posts are shown on the chart there. Also, there's a link to this site that has some neat pictures of the one near New Paris, Pennsylvania.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn
Reading further down the site, what's a 10-sigma person?
Looking up the forums at that site:
Quote:
As for Bearden-
He is referring to someone being 10 standard deviations above the norm in paranormal abilities. Even if they do exist, I am confident that no one has ever calculated the standard deviation of such an unquantifiable thing.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I once took a side trip to Lake Wales, Florida to see Spook Hill. It's a street next to an elementary school, and there's a silly legend about Indians. I stopped, took the car out of gear, and let off the brakes. Yes, it seemed to roll uphill. It's an optical illusion, though. It's really downhill.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 PM

Here is an additional list. http://www.weirdnj.com/stories/_roads03.asp

We had one nearby, but they change the road around in 1990. I was sad when I realized it was gone. Here is its listing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdNJ
GRAVITY NOT A LAW IN HOLMDEL
Have you ever heard of "Gravity Hill" in the Holmdel/Middletown area? Back when I was a teenager, around 1965, there was a hill just down the side street from the huge Lilly Tulip Plant on Highway 35. You would appear to roll right up the hill when stopped at the end by the stop sign. It was very real looking. I've been there more times then I can count.

Unfortunately, there was also another hill before the stop sign where you could launch your vehicle off the road surface with ease, if driving fast enough. I did it once, and would never do it again. It was very scary. A few years later several teenagers were killed there attempting to do the same thing. The road was leveled sometime after that.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 AM

Here is one near where I live: Ghostly Children upon San Antonio's Railroad Tracks In this ghost story, a school bus full of children was struck by a train while crossing the tracks. If you go to the tracks now and put your car in neutral, it appears as if you are pushed up and over the railroad tracks. As the story goes, if you put baby powder on the trunk of your car, you can see the tiny hand prints of the ghost children who pushed you. To make it a little creepier, many of the streets nearby are named after children.

First of all, the place is scary not because of the ghosts, but because the very dark and isolated intersection is frequented by thieves, druggies, and other people who want to mess with you and take your stuff. The road is also very messed up, especially near the top near the tracks where it is hard for your car to roll over the deep ruts. But it does seem to happen. All in all it is pretty spooky, especially if it seems as if no one else is there.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Edward The Head writes:

> There's one near Burkittsville, MD.

And Burkittsville is where the movie _The Blair Witch Project_ is set. See, it all fits together. [Cue the theme for_The Twilight Zone_.]
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Wow. We always pass a sign for Gravity Hill on our drive to PA and I thought it was the only one! I have always wanted to check it out but we are always in a hurry to get where we're going. Now I must do this.

http://www.gravityhill.com/
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 AM

In Scotland there's one called Electric Brae which does the same thing.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Magentic Hill
Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Oops - that should say Magnetic Hill.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
For instance, do you know of a place where the flow of a waterway (river, creek, stream) appears to go uphill?
There's a road that leads to my condo complex that only floods on top of a hill, not at the bottoms on either side.

The hill in the road adjoins an even larger, steeper hill of the vacant lots next to the road. So, in a heavy rain, the water flows down this hill, and is channeled such that it only flows on top of the road's hill. Resulting in occasional spin-outs, and from what I understand at least one stalled car, and some very confused drivers.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadjun View Post
Oops - that should say Magnetic Hill.
Actually, it should say Magnetic Hill full of zombies.

Zombies definitely add to the creepiness of gravitational anomalies. The more you run uphill the faster they come.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Do brains roll uphill?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

I remember driving thru the Sierra Nevadas on the way to Yosemite & Kings Canyon where the road winds along the Merced River and gradually climbs from sea level to several thousand feet. You are surrounded by steep hills, but the road slope is very gentle for most of it. We had an argument about whether the road was sloped up or down, and since we had no level in the car, stopped and rolled an empty beer can on the road. It appeared to roll the wrong direction, and I'm assuming it was more due to the natural terrain illusion than a paranormal votex.

Of course, we emptied the beer cans first, so that might have enhanced the illusion. Such is science.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Curious to read answers to your question.

There is a tiny village on the Gaspé peninsula in Québec called Ruisseau à Rebours (flowing backward brook). My brothers and I stood more than once for a long time staring at the brook, and at one point we thought we saw it flow back uphill. Mom told us that it must have been the effect of the tide, as that village is right near the sea.

Decades later, I found out that the village was named for a settler whose name was Harbour, and the name became distorted with time.

Still, I know what we saw.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM

One of the golf courses I regularly play at has a green that fools everyone the first time they play it. You look at that green from the tee and you swear it slopes severely back-to-front. When you're standing on the green you still swear it slopes severely back-to-front. In fact the green slopes mildly front-to-back.

You'd think I'd learn, but I've three-putted that green so many times...
Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM

I remember my parents taking me to a "Magnetic Hill" in Northern Ontario. I can't remember where, because I was very little, but I remember my Dad putting the car in neutral and it seemed to roll uphill. Of course I wanted to get out and watch the car actually move but my parents wouldn't let me.

Some ghost hunter show did the one with the children on the train tracks and they put baby powder on the trunk and small handprints DID show up. It was freaky. (It was a TV show so you have to take it with a few grains of salt, but still.)
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
Some ghost hunter show did the one with the children on the train tracks and they put baby powder on the trunk and small handprints DID show up. It was freaky. (It was a TV show so you have to take it with a few grains of salt, but still.)
Sounds like something Fact or Faked would do.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 PM

There's an on/off ramp near In-Ko-Pah that is known for it's messed up gravity. Add to that it's isolated location, evidence of long-gone Native Americans, a lost railroad, and the mystery caves, and you have an afternoon of heebie-jeebies to enjoy.

Every time I pass by on my way back from San Diego, I do the whole coasting upward with my car. Even knowing it's an illusion I giggle like a school girl.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 PM

When I used to bike a lot there was a stretch of road where no matter which direction you were riding it felt like you were going downhill.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 PM

There's a gravity hill at my work (Rose Hills Memorial Park in Whittier CA). It works during the day, so it's probably not ghosts. Great way to trip out the new hires.

The "bottom" of the hill is at 34°00'47.34" N 118°02'10.74" W in case you want to check it out.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM

I've been to one in India, of course named Magnetic Hill, rather underwhelming to be honest, although the landscape is amazing.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Washington DC. Where up is down, in is out, the grass is blue and the sky is green. Biggest mystery spot in the world.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM

I read the OP and thought, "I know of such a place!"

I read the link and found the one I've been to listed there. Hooray! I'll tell the OP about it!

I then see that the thread is 5+ years old. Oh well, the OP is still active.

So, anywho - I've been to this one:
Code:
Gravity Hill

Wisconsin, LaFayette Co., S. of Schullsburg & Rennick Rd.

No

Unknown

www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic s/roll-uphill.html
It's pretty amazing - but just an optical illusion. Everytime I've taken someone new there, I'll stop the car and put it in neutral with the brake held. Then I'll ask them which way is uphill - they'll always indicate that it's the direction we're pointing. I'll release the brake and away we go - coasting uphill!

Still, it's pretty cool.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
I've been to one in India, of course named Magnetic Hill, rather underwhelming to be honest, although the landscape is amazing.
Going a little deeper in that linked page I found List of gravity hills which doesn't yet have an entry for Tennessee. Either the one I mentioned in the OP is not an official "gravity hill" or nobody has chosen to list it at Wikipedia.

The USA places listed there can be seen at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...#United_States

Maybe some of those are close to you?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM

The google map view isn't all that good - but see if you can see which way you think is up the hill.

Gravity Hill Facing South

Feel free to look around with the arrows to get your bearings.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Here is a youtube video of one on Promised Land Road in Portville, NY. As a kid, my grandfather used to take us here - but it was a wooded road back then. (yeah, I'm that old)