Single-pilot aircraft that can transport a vehicle?

Is there any aircraft, certified for single-pilot operation, that is capable of carrying a small-to-midsize automobile, like a BMW 3-series for example?

It doesn’t matter if you need a forklift or something to get the car inside, although a ramp would be nice.

Hit submit too soon: the Pilatus PC-12 specification page implies that it can carry two Suburbans, but I’m not sure if they’re just talking about being able to carry the same amount of cargo as two Suburbans, or the actual vehicles themselves.

I don’t see how you’d fit a Suburban into that plane’s cargo door.

Is the single pilot allowed AMEL?
I’ve seen C-130s in trade-a-plane, but I’m guessing they aren’t single pilot.
On the other hand, according to:

http://forums.x-plane.org/lofiversion/index.php?t18915.html

so maybe a c-130 or even a c-123

Brian

Okay, technically that works, I guess. :slight_smile:

I’m looking for something less expensive and more mainstream, along the lines of the Pilatus I posted a link too. A business jet of some sort, maybe?

Actually, you wouldn’t even need an AMEL.
For the invasion of Nomandy, gliders with jeeps inside were used.
darn! looks like those were two pilot:

Brian

Well, You still need a plane that has the cargo area for the vehicle and a cargo door big enough to drive through (unless you want to assemble / disassemble it all the time)

The PC-12 (cargo) has a max payload of 3,229lb (1975lb with full fuel)
The cargo door IS 4’ 5" x 4’ 4" which may be big enough
http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/media/pc12spec06std.pdf
but with the door on the side I’m not sure you could get even a mini in
http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/html/en/products/index_487.asp?NavL1ID=31&NavL2ID=194&NavL3ID=202&NavL4ID=486&NavL5ID=0&NavL6ID=0&L=4

Brian

The Cessna Caravanis a monster, I bet it could handle the weight of a small car (though you would never be able to load it), it can handle 14 passengers and their luggage. Oddly, I can’t find cargo specs for it.

I was stunned that they could put that many people and all their vacation luggage in a single engine prop job.

It bet you could figure out how to get three or four motorcycles in it.

I flew in one in central America. I got put in the co-pilots seat. Considering how things are run down there, I don’t know if that means it’s certified for single pilot or not.

http://caravan.cessna.com/freight.chtml#

Does it have to be fixed wing? If not, then maybe something like a Chinook.

I used to work at a place that built floats for the Caravan, so I’ve been in a few. I suppose we should measure, but I just don’t think you’re going to fit a car in there.

enipla, you know it’s a turboprop, right?

I was thinking of the Chinook or a Skycrane, but I can’t find any specs as to whether they’re certified for operation by a single crew member.

And I really like this question.

If not fixed wing, the EH-101 can do that.

Fixed wing… Perhaps the Antonov AN-14? But unfortunately, looking at the specs for an M3, it’s just a whisker too wide to fit.

Something in me doubts we’ll find anything that fits the bill.

A Mini would fit.

A Skycrane would work if it doesn’t have to be enclosed.

Caravan specs (supercargomaster)
49 x 50-inch double cargo door
Cargo area:
Length ft/m 16.7/5.1
Height ft/m 4.3/1.3
Width ft/m 5.2/1.6
Maximum Useful Load:4,215 lb (not sure if fuel is included)

The C-23 Sherpa has a rear cargo door and can carry 2 1/2 vehicles.
Crew of 3 however.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c-23.htm

Brian

Absolute, most bizjets are surprisingly small inside, and are pretty much out of the question. You are looking for a small to medium sized utility aircraft. The Cessna 208 Caravan and the Pilatus PC-12 have both been mentioned, but I think you will find that neither one has sufficient interior space to accomodate an average passenger vehicle. N91WP mentioned the C-23 Sherpa, commonly known as the Shorts 330 Skyvan. This is more of what you are looking for. Another option would be the Casa 212 Aviocar. Both of these aircraft have cavernous interiors, and more importantly, rear loading ramps. Other aircraft of this size can carry the weight, but passenger vehicles are quite bulky and not very ‘stuffable.’ The SD330 and C212 are large, boxy aircraft because they were designed with a payload like yours in mind.

Of course, there are a number of military aircraft designed with this mission in mind, both fixed and rotary wing. But then, you could sling an M3 under about a thousand different kinds of helicopters if you don’t mind doing that.

I forgot to mention the DeHavilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou. It’s along the same lines as the Skyvan and Aviocar.

I have been doing a lot of reading on Alaskan bush pilots. They say that the tradition there is to get really good at tying whatever large payload you need to carry lashed outside to the floats or skis. Some of the ski and float equipped planes sit really high and I bet you could find one with both the space between the floats and the cargo weight capacity to carry a smaller car right between the floats. It might take some rigging and the aerodynamics will probably suck but I bet it could be done. You might want to put the car is some kind of plastic bag however.

As cool as the idea of slinging an m3 under a Turbo Beaver is, that space is full of various cables and rigging for the floats. (Link goes to GIS of DH Beaver on floats)

I’ve seen a couple dozen two-by-fours between the floats, but you’re not going to get a car in there. The hydraulic lines (raise and lower the wheels, brakes) and the cables (raise, lower and steer the water rudders) can go down the struts, but there are still cross braces on every float plane I’ve seen. The spreader bars aren’t designed for that much of a load. And the weight of the floats eats up some of the payload, so there’s not enough left for a car anyway.

I’ve been around Caravans on floats, next step up in size is probably a Twin Otter, and I still don’t think there’s enough room. I’ve seen pictures of some one-off projects, like a DC-3 on floats, but they used to fit a jeep inside one of those so it’s moot point.

Maybe we’re going about this the wrong way. Is there a single-pilot aircraft that can transport a motorcycle?

May I ask why the aircraft needs to to be certified for single pilot? And is this a hypothetical idea-for-a-novel type question?

There are many aircraft that are certified for multi-crew only, that could be quite comfortably (though illegally) operated single pilot.

I’m quite sure I’ve read somewhere that the Shorts 360 is certified for single pilot, but the cites I am finding seem to indicate that a crew of two is standard. If it is certified for single pilot, it’s cabin dimensions (6 ft. 4 in. height, 6 ft. 2 in. floor width) are pretty promising, as is the 8100 lb useful cabin load in freight mode.