The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Stadium policy - no cap on your bottle of pop. Why?

At the Skydome in Toronto (I refuse to call it the Rogers center), they have a policy that the concession people are not allowed to sell you a bottle (plastic) of pop with the cap on.

They remove the cap in front of you, and throw it out. If you ask for the cap they say they are not allowed to give it to you due to stadium policy.

For the life of me, I canít think of a reasonable reason why they have this policy. Does anybody know why they do this?
Advertisements  
Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelHutz405
At the Skydome in Toronto (I refuse to call it the Rogers center), they have a policy that the concession people are not allowed to sell you a bottle (plastic) of pop with the cap on.

They remove the cap in front of you, and throw it out. If you ask for the cap they say they are not allowed to give it to you due to stadium policy.

For the life of me, I canít think of a reasonable reason why they have this policy. Does anybody know why they do this?
WAG: They don't want you throwing them
Old 08-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that's odd. Maybe they don't want people shaking the bottle and cutting loose with a stream of foam?

I haven't been to the Dome since the car show a couple of years ago, so I didn't know that. Is it a fairly new policy?

(I wonder what would happen if we brought in our own caps from other bottles? )
Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy
I donít think so. Iím talking about the plastic cap off a pop bottle. You could hit someone with it and they probably wouldnít even notice.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I donít think so. Iím talking about the plastic cap off a pop bottle. You could hit someone with it and they probably wouldnít even notice.
No, but it does make it harder to throw a full bottle of soda if the cap is off.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Sunspace, I donít know if itís a new policy.

This was at an Argos football game. And yes, Iím going to bring my own cap next time because otherwise the pop goes flat too quickly. Heh maybe theyíll kick me out and Iíll get a change to ask why.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldGuy
No, but it does make it harder to throw a full bottle of soda if the cap is off.
Yeah, I thought of that too. But if I wanted to chuck the bottle would it being capless really stop me? If that really was their concern you would think they would just switch to selling it in cups instead.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I thought of that too. But if I wanted to chuck the bottle would it being capless really stop me? If that really was their concern you would think they would just switch to selling it in cups instead.
Cups cost money.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 PM

Full bottle of soda/pop with cap on: OUCH!

Bottle of soda/pop with cap off: ouch and more of a mess actually.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

My WAG is that it has something to do with alcohol. It's pretty easy to mix Jack and Coke and make it look normal in a coke bottle. You can also stash it away pretty quickly.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:50 PM

Bottle of soda/pop with cap off: loses who knows how much liquid on the way, spilling it on people who can probably determine who threw it and are close enough to do something about it.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Also it might make people less likely to use their old soda bottles as water bottles. Then they sell more water. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
...And yes, Iím going to bring my own cap next time because otherwise the pop goes flat too quickly...
Could that be the answer? Accelerating the flatness of soda yields more soda sales. I wonder if the cap keeps the soda colder longer. That might also lead to more soda sales.

Do they do the same with beer? It wouldn't work the same way with beer since no real sports fan would waste beer. But once the beer has gone flat and warm, it's much easier to chug and then get a new one.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Any possibility of an odd local statute concerning the selling vs serving of beverages? I can envision something that would tax them differently if they sell closed bottles, as opposed to serving opened bottles.

Bottle caps getting stuck in the drains?

They give the bottle caps to the staff, who can then enter the codes printed in them to see if they win whatever the current bottle cap promotion?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Know_Nothing
My WAG is that it has something to do with alcohol. It's pretty easy to mix Jack and Coke and make it look normal in a coke bottle. You can also stash it away pretty quickly.
They already sell alcohol at the stadium, so you really donít have to do anything to disguise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut
Accelerating the flatness of soda yields more soda sales. I wonder if the cap keeps the soda colder longer. That might also lead to more soda sales.
Thatís possible. That seems really money grubbing to me though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut
Do they do the same with beer?
Beer is sold in cups. I didnít notice if they put a lid on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords
Any possibility of an odd local statute concerning the selling vs serving of beverages? I can envision something that would tax them differently if they sell closed bottles, as opposed to serving opened bottles.

They give the bottle caps to the staff, who can then enter the codes printed in them to see if they win whatever the current bottle cap promotion?
Iíve never heard of any tax laws like that.

Stuck in drains? I donít think so. There is plenty of other typical stadium garbage that would also stick.

I saw the staff throw the cap out and there was no promotion going on.

Now itís bugging me even more. I sent an email to guest services so if I get an answer, Iíll let you all know.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords
Wouldn't surprise me if simple litter was the major issue. Sell 20,000 drinks with caps, and maybe half those caps will end up in the garbage cans. The rest'll just be dropped near the seats as the patrons settle in, open their drinks, and only then realize there's nowhere but the floor to put the caps.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy
That's what the vendor at the stadium told me when I asked.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And yes, Iím going to bring my own cap next time because otherwise the pop goes flat too quickly.
Holy crap! How big are these bottles? I can't imagine a standard 20oz bottle (or whatever the standard size is in Canada) going flat faster than I can drink it. I usually buy 1-liter bottles, and I can usually finish those off before they go flat, and I don't keep the bottle capped when it's sitting next to me.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers
Wouldn't surprise me if simple litter was the major issue. Sell 20,000 drinks with caps, and maybe half those caps will end up in the garbage cans. The rest'll just be dropped near the seats as the patrons settle in, open their drinks, and only then realize there's nowhere but the floor to put the caps.
That sounds like the most plausible answer. You step on one of those cap and you can go tumbling, which can lead to lawsuits.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase42
Holy crap! How big are these bottles? I can't imagine a standard 20oz bottle (or whatever the standard size is in Canada) going flat faster than I can drink it. I usually buy 1-liter bottles, and I can usually finish those off before they go flat, and I don't keep the bottle capped when it's sitting next to me.
Just the standard bottle size, whatever that is. Like youíd get out of a vending machine.

Well yes, Ďgoes flatí is overstating it. It tastes better to me if I can re-cap it and retain more fizzy goodness.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers
Where do you go to games? When I get up at the end of a Nationals game, the floor is loaded with peanut shells, beer bottles, nacho trays, napkins, etc. It's not pretty but bottlecaps are the least of their worries.

At RFK they take the top off of water bottles when you buy them at the counter. T hey told me it was so people wouldn't throw them on the field. But when I bought a bottle of water from a vendor in the stands, I got the bottle intact.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

As a former beer vendor for the Texas Rangers I think all the above reasons have merit.
  1. throwing a bottle with a cap on will hurt more than if the cap is off as some of the liquid will undoubtedly sling out of the container
  2. people will find a way to piss in container if they can put a lid on it.
  3. cleaning up a bottle of soda with a cap on is a LOT more work. It weighs a lot more and is more difficult to wash out with a power hose.
  4. bottle caps are difficult to clean up, even with pressure hoses, it's easy to leave a bottle cap.
  5. You always have to add one extra bullet as a reminder for the item that was forgotten.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:41 PM

Another WAG: to stop you from bringing in soda? If an usher notices you with a bottle of soda with a cap on it, or a soda bottle cap under your seat, he's going to have a good suspicion that you brought it in with you instead of buying it there.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Shea Stadium has the same policy, but I can't figure out why. It can't be to keep them off the floor, keep you from throwing a full bottle or to somehow force you to buy soda or water- because they let you bring in plastic bottles from outside with the caps still on them.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Below is the response I got from guest services.
(The Blue Jays play in the same stadium.)

ďOn behalf of the Toronto Blue Jays, thank you for your email. It is a
policy of ours to take the top off the bottles for safety reason. By
taking the tops off we help prevent fans from throwing the bottles which
with water or pop still in them could seriously hurt someone. Taking the
tops off is just a preventative measure we take so that incidents like
this do not occur.Ē

Those of you, who guessed to prevent people from throwing them, win the prize. I will be mailing each of you a bottle of pop. Sans cap, of course, so it will be empty when it arrives.

Bah, Iím going to chuck one anyway at the next game, just to prove it can be done.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas
Where do you go to games?
Canada. We're much tidier here.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace
I haven't been to the Dome since the car show a couple of years ago, so I didn't know that. Is it a fairly new policy?
I can't say anything about SkyDome, but I first saw this policy at a stadium in North Carolina five years ago. (Concertgoers said it was to keep people from throwing the bottles.) It's spread since then, illogical as it is.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

They did this at the 'company picnic' at Disneyland a few years ago. Someone told me that it was to discourage people from going to a water fountain and refilling their bottles, so that they'd have to shell out $X for a new bottle of water. Seems a little strange. You can still fill your bottle. But I suppose one is more likely to throw a bottle away when getting on a ride if there's no cap on it.

:shrug:
Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I had this very question at Giant Stadium, home of the Hershey Bears hockey team.

The concessionnaire I talked to said that, during hockey games, fans tended to throw caps onto the ice. This somehow melts the ice irregularly, and players can trip over the caps or the dents with their skates; the caps can also cut into the ice, damaging the surface. The policy is applied uniformly for all events, even those that don't require an ice rink. (I was there for a live show that was on the bare concrete floor.)

Having looked up the SkyDome, I'll bet there's another reason that the PR people didn't mention. The edges of plastic bottle caps are sharp. If they land edge down, they will damage the turf, especially if a someone steps on them.

Robin
Old 08-14-2006, 10:55 PM

There is no ice at the SkyDome. Itís a baseball/football stadium.
The Astroturf is tough. They play football on it after all. There is no way you could damage it with a plastic cap.