"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin killed by stingray -

“Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin killed by stingray -

Crikey!

I guess a croc getting him would have been a little too obvious. At least it wasn’t a koala or something. That would be undignified.

Hmm, that was unexpectedly enexpected.

And recent too. They say his wife hasn’t heard yet.

Is it understood that “it is understood” is some kind of standard European/Australian journalistic standard?

damn you guys are fast ! I came in to post this and BAM, here it is. Very sad, but inevitable.

Sad. I really liked this guy.

“it is understood” is journalese for “that’s what we’re being told. But we have no official confirmation and we’re not going to make fools of ourselves claiming it’s a definite fact just yet”.

Damn, I like the guy.

We need more like him in this world, not less.

[URL=http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html]More[- Looks like it’s a fact/URL]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dude, the guy is MY HERO! I’ve been watching him for YEARS!

:frowning:

Looks like it’s a fact

And wiki’s already been updated!

well, I lost a lot of respect for him when he interacted with that croc while holding his infant daughter.
He went the way he wanted to go, I suppose. Sad for his family, though.

3rd time’s the charm - link

Yeah, I liked the guy too. He and his wife just seem like good, good people. I feel very sad for her and their kids.

I’m still sceptical. Until I see images of his funeral-clad family, I won’t thoroughly believe it.

(This is partly due to the fact that most of the new articles stem from the same “tabloid-ish” news site)

Slight nitpick - it was his baby son, Bob.

Holy cow, a sting ray barb in the chest? That sounds so strange, at first I thought maybe this was some weird joke.
I agree that we need more people like him advocating for the environment and animals. I used to watch his shows a lot, and he seemed to have a genuine love for animals. I hope that his kids get to carry on his legacy. How sad that they will grow up without their dad now. :frowning:

Wow. I feel awful for his family, especially the kids.

Crikey!

Sorry, could not resist. A rather odd death, given the number of higher / more obviously risky animal encounters he’s survived unscathed. Is suspect that the fortuitous placement of the barb is what really rendered the fatality.

I can’t imagine what he was doing to the 'ray that would have provoked its repsonse. Then again, Irwin has a long history of provoking animal defensive responses.

I feel badly for his partner-wife and his child, though he died, I suspect in the way that he would have wanted, though perhaps about 50 or 60 years early.