I hate the word proactive.

I hate the word - PROACTIVE!!! It is a meaningless buzzword that has somehow gotten into the dictionary. My pre 1985 dictionary’s did not list it so it must have been made up sometime in the 1980’s. As far as I can tell in PROactive the prefix PRO has the meaning ‘before’, active means to be doing something so Proactive means to be doing something before you do something. Dr. Who might be able to be proactive, but nobody else can be proactive. Let me summarize. I HATE THE STINKING WORD PROACTIVE!!!

According to dictionary.com it’s been with us since the '30s. You might want to drill down into a subject more when co-actualizing your thoughts for bringing people on board going forward. Be more, uh … uh … ante-operational.

It means “acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes”. In other words acting BEFORE something happens instead of afterwards (which would be REactive).

It is overused as a corporate buzzword but it does have meaning. In other words, don’t sit around waiting for problems. Try to anticipate what you wil need and be ready for it.

It’s still a corporate buzzword that was made up unnecessarily to contrast with “reactive.” The opposite of “reactive” is “active.”

Grrrrrr.

At my company this phrase distinguishes Those Who Do from those who think up petty shit for others to do. It’s my cue to tune out whatever office-speak follows, disregard anything said prior, and go back to work. You want my cooperation ‘going forward’? Drop that flowery horseshit and say what’s on your mind.

Fucking posers.

Add it and “basically” to the pile and I burning your buzzwords.

Literally?

I think proactive has just been popularized by people who like the contrast with reactive - “Our competitors are just reactive to changing technology; this company will be proactive.” The funny thing is that I associate the actual use of the word “proactive” with the kind of mentality that follows the crowd and would never actually be proactive.

What’s wrong with the word “preemptive”?

Every time you’re tempted use the word “proactive” use “prophylactic” instead.

Totally.

That is incorrect. (The buzzword part is probably true, but active is not the opposite of reactive.)

Active means to engage in action or activity.
Reactive does not mean passive (which is the opposite of active).Reactive also means to be active, but to dso so in response to a trigger event or another action.
Proactive means to survey a situation, discern what actions might prompt reactions, and attempt to take different or separate actions so that the reactions are not necessary.

It has one extra letter and too many people get stuck wondering whether to use a hyphen (pre-emptive) or a diaresis (preëmptive) to make sure that people know what we’re talking about.

Preemptive also has the potentially unfortunate meaning of prevention. There are some proactive decisions that may be meant to encourage behavior or a response and preemptive would be inappropriate in those cases.

Dead Badger you are dead on. I should have done a little more research before spouting off.
I was humbled by the erudite lexicon used in your response. It made me laugh too! Astro I have never been temped to use the word proactive, but I will definately use prophylactic at the earliest opportunity!

I think my biggest problem with “proactive” is the “predictive-active” elements. It’s like overt in your face manipulation, yet somehow it’s acceptable in this context.

What an all-out paradigm.

What other word would you use to describe a kung-fu hippie from gangster city who is totally in my face?

Hongkongphooey, motherfucker!

I hate that word, because I used to have a boss who said he wanted me to be more proactive, but really he wanted me to be psychic. He thought I should know exactly what he wanted me to do, even when he didn’t know. Not a good situation–I’m glad I’m not working for him anymore.

Whoah, I don’t know. That guy sounds like a totally outrageous paradigm.

Well, “reactive” does sorta mean passive, at least until action is unavoidable. And I still say “active” would be just fine and dandy, conveying the same meaning that people intend with “proactive.”

I tend to believe that the OP is not seeing the big picture. At the end of the day best practice is to fast track a paradigm shift that will create a win-win situation with regard to broad-based collaborative real time communication. Perhaps a little thinking outside the box or pushing the envelope is required but if this is not the time to discuss our game plan perhaps we could take it off line.