There are crawdads in my parking lot.

I was almost on time this morning as I herded Kizarvexilla out the door this morning for her ride to school. We climbed into the station wagon (lovingly dubbed “Moby”) and set out on our merry way. I had driven no more than 20 feet when I screeched to a halt. What I had thought was a small bird pecking in a puddle turned out to be something else entirely. A crawdad. A really BIG crawdad. Just scuttling through the parking lot, minding his own business.

“Okay, that’s weird,” I said, and pointed out our crustacious pedestrian to Kizarvexilla. “I wonder where it came from.”

We watched it for a moment, then I prophesied that the poor little critter would be roadkill within the hour, and we resumed along our path. Then I spotted a second one. And a third. And what looked to be a flattened fourth.

By the time we left the parking lot, we were both shaking our heads in wonderment. Kizarvexilla was quite excited, as the class she used to belong to at her daycare was called the Crawdads. “Wait until Miss Karen hears about this!”

Okay, I’ve only lived in Austin for a year, and it rained quite a lot last night. But is this normal? Or should I presume that these little guys were liberated by PETA during transport to our neighborhood H.E.B.?

First of all, they’re crayfish.

Secondly, eew. I remember I used to pick them up and not have a problem with it. Now I wouldn’t touch one.

Supposed to be a smiley after crayfish. Sorry. :slight_smile:

That’s not a safe assumption these days; they could be terrorist crawdads. I’ve heard that the big ones pinch hard enough to clip off the valve stem of a tire with just one nip.

In Middile Tennessee, I’ve seen them make burrows in the lawn!
But not everywhere.

I suspect ground water or underground streams make this possible.

You sure they weren’t Claw Shrimp?

It’s mating season; they’re out looking for some tail. Also, after a big rain, their little mudholes might have been washed out.

Check out a road on Australia’s Christmas Island when the crabs are on the move.

I really hope I get to see that one day.

But I wouldn’t want to live there.

Texans call 'em crawdads or sometimes crawfish. For a taste delight, kill 'em, whack off their tails and fry 'em–the tail, that is. Tastes like shrimp.

Well, Kiz there’s only one thing to do. Start a large part of water boiling and go crawdad pickin’! There’ll be good eats tonight!

Err… make that large pot of water boiling. :smack:

Call 'em crawdads up here in my neck of the woods, too. And we have 'em living in our yard.

I think they’re neat. Of course, I’ve never had one attached to any of my bodyparts, either. :eek:

Dang. Looks like the Saturday night B flick on the SciFi Channel.

I hear you, Swampy. I think only the fact that they’d been wandering around in the gasoline soaked parking lot prevented my father (born and raised in Louisiana) from driving over with a bag of rice and a cooking pot.

Actually, I do know. I’m a Northerner and will be all my life but I did live in TN for a while and they all called them crawdads. And Og knows I’ve read plenty of Southern literature! I was just teasing the OP.

And I’ve never eaten one.

I was born a danged Yankee myself, but given a hefty Cajun influence via my wife’s biofather, I call them mudbugs…

“Etouffee, Brutus…?”

I’ll bring the corn and 'taters. Anyone have some andouille?

Upstate New York, Otsego County. Butternut Creek. Crawdaddies as big as …

Well, my thumb, anyway.