[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
Now that you ask, yes, I have. But even if I hadn’t, I would have had all those extra hours to devote to something. I’m not claiming that the extra time alwys gets used efficiently, but it’s available if I wanted to, which would give me some sort of edge. If I could sleep half as much, without losing alertness, that would be another advantage. Whatever I’ve accomplished, I was aided (comparatively) by not wasting my time, as I believe most churchgoers do, but I see no need to make this personal. I was asking about atheists in general.
[/QUOTE]
The OP read to me as if you were talking about you personally. In this sentance you seemed to be talking about yourself.
“…that means that I benefit in comparison to them, and can use the extra hours in my day to compete against them more effectively.”
But to answer the question in general terms, my point would be the same. I don’t think the majority of churchgoers would spend that time more productively if they didn’t spend time reading the bible or attending services. I think that people who want to be productive will make the time, with whatever schedule they have to work with. So I don’t see non believers having much of an edge over believers.
Having a spouse takes up a great amount of time. Children take up an extreme amount of time. But many people can be married and have children and still produce great things. It doesn’t automatically mean that if someone stays single, or choses not to have kids means they will be more productive in the things that really matter. Some might find that having a spouse gives them the stability to try new things that lead to great improvements for mankind. Some might find that having children to support financially gives them incentive to work smarter and the chance to achieve more because lives literally depend on them. Some may find that having children creates in them the desire to work towards improving the world so their children will have a better future.
I am just not seeing how more free time would neccessarily equal more great things accomplished. I think there are too many other factors that determine that. I think it might be closer to an equal trade off for the churchgoers. Less free time, but perhaps that time in church is what recharges their batteries, makes life more important, gives them the guidance they need to focus on helping others or a desire to work to improve others’ lives, gives them a reason to put others ahead of themselves.
I think going to church must meet some basic need in many people, even if it as simple as a need to follow tradition, or feel like they belong somewhere, or have a place to fall back on when times are rough. Others who don’t go to church have other ways to meet the basic needs that they have. And many of those other ways to meet their needs aren’t going to make the world a better place.
If you wanted to argue that the specific thought process some religions expect their followers to use has been detrimental to the human race, I wouldn’t argue that. But from what I read the OP was asking, I don’t see it as a problem of time and energy being unproductively vs productively.
The only benefit I see that atheists may have from co-existing with believers is is that those who believe do so because they find it benefits them to do. Those benefits may include a desire to make the world a better place. And those benefits may make the believer a more stable, productive member of society than they would have if they didn’t have religion, so the atheists may benefit in some of those things.
I think you would really have to break it down by each individual religion to see if the fact it existed has caused more harm than good for those that aren’t part of it.