What do Americans think of Britain and the British

Are we just a dinky little island that would quite easily fit into a corner of Texas or any other American state.
Do you view us as being a tad insignificant in the great scheme of things.

A nation of people with bad teeth (not true any longer)

A people who are insular and unfriendly.

Just a place with lots of cute olde worlde monuments, cobbled streets, dark satanic mills, dreaming spires.

A country full of restaurants serving lousy food (again no longer true)

Is there anything we have that you would like to see in America.

Are we just a country that has shot its bolt.

Can we please keep politics out of this? remember not all of us voted for Blair just as not all of you voted for Bush but we are stuck with them for now at least.

While I want this to be true, you should see some of my colleagues… Austin Powers’s mouth is alive and well and living in Oxfordshire.

I think British people are silly.

I think Britain is an old and funny place.

I consider being called “silly” a complement. Me mum is a WWII British war bride, she is silly and I like her.

Well we may be old but funny…well I dunno about that.

Unless you mean funny as in great sense of humour rather than funny as in odd.

Regards to your mum and ask her to sing Rule Brittania for ya

I lived and worked in the UK, on a small island, for several years. I found most of the people to be very friendly. Everyone told me to avoid the local dentist, whose solution for any problem was extraction of the tooth. What struck me was the class consciousness. There were a number of clubs on the island. One for the “important people”, very exclusive. One for the middle class. One for the working class.

I did run into a group of English tourists in the Carribean who were very insular and unfriendly. They all acted like they were having a bad day.

Gen’rally, as part of the extended family that includes Canada. “Like us, but over there somewhere.”

A couple of weeks ago, I met a couple from Wales. The lady’s teeth were the second-worst I’ve ever seen.

Since you live near China, that’s saying a lot! :eek: (Don’t know how the SKs fare.)

The worst Westerners’ teeth I know are the Irish, but sadly it seems the Brits still get the silver medal.

We Win! We Win!

IRELAND! Clap Clap Clap IRELAND!

Bloody hell not only Eurovision song contests but the bad teeth awards as well :smiley:

I’m far from a typical American, but I think there is certainly a perception that Britain is by far the most reliable ally of the U.S. and I would wager it ranks high in any opinion poll of American attitudes about other countries.

In my experience, I was in the UK once and really liked it, although the bad attitude I got from salespeople in stores was almost as bad as the attitude I get from salespeople in stores in my home city of Washington, DC (and that is REALLY saying something).

When the question is “What do American think of [other country]”, where we are not at war with [other country] or the major ethnic groups that live there, the answer is:

We don’t.

I would, but her teeth tend to fall out when she sings. :slight_smile:

Addition:
The Brits are quite resilient in times of trouble.
Case in point: WWII, Orpington, U.K.
With carpet bombing and V1/V2 rockets soaring above, mum, her mum, friends and neighbors would huddle in the blacked-out shelter singing patriotic songs and making the best out of extremely dire circumstances. They were bombed out of 3 houses, the last killing their cherished dog and leaving mum unconscious under a pile of rubble. They kept their chins and resolve high throughout the ordeal. Yankee Fly-boy Dad entered the picture shortly after. They recently celebrated their 60th anniversary. To this day, thunder makes mum want to find shelter and sing.

A large fraction of Americans would like to send a guy like me away, so I’m not sure if my attitude counts for much.

Anyhoo, I’ve never met a Brit I didn’t like. I have a great affinity for the style of humor, and though I’m sure there are plenty of stuffy Brits lurking somewhere, they seem to stay home, and hence I never run into them. A couple English scientists I’ve known have, in fact, been among the most cleverly ribald individuals I’ve ever met, and regularly had me in stitches. I remember one sort of exasperated tirade in particular, over a ski area in PA called “Blue Knob”. I had tears coming out of my eyes, and I was in danger of hyperventilating. Any country that produces folks who can make me laugh like that is A-OK in my book.

Oh, and I love some of your curries.

In the Nashville area, we get a fair number of Brit tourists.

We treat them well, & warmly. Quite frankly, a Brit will get a far friendlier welcome here than a New Yorker, or a Californian.

Lets see. American male, from rural southern Michigan. Some of my ancestors we’re even British. Way long ago though.
Culturally\Societal, pretty good. Universal health care is something I’d like for here. Magna Carta was a good idea. British tend to seem very friendly to me, the ones I’ve met. Some tards too. I find your progress with social issues pretty admirable. Universal healthcare I’d sure like to see here. Accent is cool. Bit hard to understand occasionally. I’m sure the reverse is also true. Recent internet conversation with a British gal went something like this:

her: I could sure go for some chips with cheese
me: mmm likes nachos
her: what’s nachos?
her: chips = fries
me:so what do you call chip… er deep fried thinly sliced potato thingies?
her: crisps

So now I know to call sliced fried taters fries, and, ‘deep fried thinly sliced potato thingies’ crisps to avoid ambiguous “chips”, and hope to god cinnamon apple crisp don’t come up.

While we’re on food, with the exception of Chilli, Mexican style food seems utterly unknown there, and the stories of what is known there ARE NOT adaquit replacements.

Please tell me Haggis is an urban myth. Even if it does exist lie to me, I’ll be happier that way.

Some of my favorite writers and comedians are\were British. Douglas Adams was a creative genius, read every book of his I can find. Monty python’s flying circus is a cult classic, and I used to love Mr Bean reruns on PBS growing up. The Beatles rocked. Spice Girl sucked royally though.

Historically I find it amusing you’re our ally and France we’re not on such good terms with. Given France helped us win our independence from you, and Spain to a lesser extent. Always wondered how your take on the revolutionary war. I know during it the general British public sentiment was against force ably holding on to the colonies. Not quiet sure how it’s viewed in modern times. American history really doesn’t have much nice to say about King George the 3rd.
Could go on but you get the idea. Basically it’s a decent country. The lack of Mexican food, and existence of Haggis troubles me though.

Loopydude The curries which you refer to aren’t ours unfortunately, they are the invention of our Asian friends, Indian/Pakistani/Chinese etc.

Gotta tell you tho’ that curry is now our national dish…the hell with roast beef and veggies.

Gimme a searing hot Vindaloo any time

I consider them a staunch ally, our cousins, and admire their grit. Same goes for Australia, New Zealand and Canada. We all have our moments, but in the end we’re all kind of family.

What I love about you Brits; your eccentricities! GB is a very interewsting country to visit, for that reason. Some examples:
-my neighbor just returned from the UK, with a new sign for her front door: “DO NOT DISTURB THE DOG”-pure brilliance! (in the USA, such signs say :“BEWARE of the Dog”
-weird foods: such as “toad in the hole”, “spotted dick”, and of course “Blood pudding”
-delightfully weird place names-like “Lower Slaughter”, “Stow-in-the-Wold”
-British humor: I like your comedy shows-Benny Hill was great (RIP, Benny)

This American of Italian descent thinks Britain is great, the best ally a nation could have and our best partner in the world. I love Britain and Scotland. I cannot wait to visit again, I am waiting about 2 years.

Are we just a dinky little island that would quite easily fit into a corner of Texas or any other American state. **England is a very important country in the world. **
Do you view us as being a tad insignificant in the great scheme of things. NO

A nation of people with bad teeth (not true any longer) **In the recent past yes, but who cares? **

A people who are insular and unfriendly. **I never felt that, Brits always seem very friendly when traveling or when visiting, of course I mainly met them at Pubs or Castle ruins. Scots are very friendly. **

Just a place with lots of cute olde worlde monuments, cobbled streets, dark satanic mills, dreaming spires. **That is part of it, well except the satanic mills, I did not see those, but so much more. The country is beautiful and the grand olde buildings are wonderful, but it is also the country that began the industrial revolution and the parent of America’s culture. **

A country full of restaurants serving lousy food (again no longer true) **I liked Scottish restaurants, English food was still lacking in 1993. I’ve heard London is better, but has the food really improved all over England? **

Is there anything we have that you would like to see in America. **I am thankful we do not have your monarchy, other than great old buildings, ruins and castles what do you have that America does not have at this point? I guess I wish we had more history, but I do not know if that is what you were asking. **

Are we just a country that has shot its bolt. It is possible, but you’re not dead yet.

Jim