The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Can a Pharmacist Dispense Prescription Medication to a Minor?

Say that Jeff, a 16-year-old, has a standing order at his pharmacy for, I dunno, Coumadin, with automatic refills. Since the pharmacy is on his way home from school, can he just stop and pick up his refills himself?

If so, would the law be different if he were picking up something with a bigger abuse potential - say, Xanax or a prescription narcotic or something?

Ignoring the question of refills for the moment - can said teenager have the original paper script filled at the pharmacy by himself, or would he need a parent/guardian present?

DISCLAIMERS: This is a purely hypothetical question. I am not a pharmacist, minor or parent/guardian of a minor. You are not my lawyer, I am not your client, blah blah blah.
Advertisements  
Old 09-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

No takers?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure it depends on what state your in, I work at a pharmacy here in Georgia, so I'm only qualified to talk about this state.

And the answer is, Yes. There are no laws against dispensing perscriptions to a minor, even if it is a controlled substance. However, your parents are fully within their rights to come to the pharmacy and pick up a list of every medication you use... Unless you think ahead and have it filled under child acknologement in the HIPPA laws.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:42 PM

I never had any problems picking up mine (or my parents's) prescriptions when I was underage.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:12 PM

I used to get birth control without any problems when I was underaged
Old 09-28-2006, 03:18 PM

In the UK and Ireland anyone between 16 and 18 (i.e. above the age of consent, and below the age of majority) has confidentiality rights to their medication, and can pick up whatever they have been prescribed, without parental knowledge or consent, provided they are considered fit to give consent (i.e. exceptions for some people who are mentally unwell or those with learning disabilities may be made).

Someone under 16 who a doctor considers able to give consent can be presribed medication without parental knowledge or consent, provided a doctor considers the medication in their best interest, and they cannot be persuaded to inform their parents. This is most commonly birth control for 14 and 15 year old girls.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 PM

Back when I worked in a pharmacy in MA (late 80's / early 90's), there were no restrictions that I knew of for minors picking up prescriptions.

Granted, security was fairly lax, and depended more on us knowing our customers. In theory, if you knew the name of someone who had a prescription waiting, you could just walk in and ask for it. Specially restricted drugs, such as narcotics, required a signature, but no ID.