Obscenities in foreign languages

Cecil cites a few good ones in this column [ Do other languages have obscenities like those of English? ].

I would place Russian as my favorite for cursing, especially since a) you can modify words with prefixes, suffixes, etc., and form compound words and b) curse words can be used to express normal everyday terms. Thus, three variations on a verb made from the noun “pizda” (female genitalia) mean to steal, to babble, and to run away.

However, a linguist friend of mine has made it a personal quest to learn this little gem in many languages, and I agree with her that it’s one of the best curses I’ve heard in any language:
“Does your mother still scream out my name when you f&*% her?”

That’s kinda sentimental, isn’t it?

There’s something ironic about keybleeping the word fuck in a thread about vulgarities. (Or maybe that’s supposed to be fone…)

In, “Travels With Charlie” Steinbeck relates a limmerick written in English with a heavy spanish accent. (There once was a girl from Keeng Ceety…) The last line is the spanish phrase, Puta chingada cabron. I used that phrase a lot before I even realized that it is really offensive. I thought it was a mild form of cussing, not a crude, nasty insult.

Heh, I know what you mean. On vacation in Costa Rica one girl in my group kept yelling ‘puta madre’. Kind of embarrassing if you know what it means.

And being born and raised in the Netherlands, I can honestly say I have never heard of ‘krijg de mazelen’ (may you get the measles). And I haven’t exactly had a sheltered upbringing in that sense. Much better known are the related expletives ‘Krijg de kanker’ (May you get cancer), ‘Krijg de tering’ (tuberculosis) and the even more popular ‘Krijg de kolere’ (cholera)!

What always struck me as strange though is the dutch ‘godverdomme’ (goddamnit). In english you ask god to damn it, In the Netherlands we ask god to damn me :smack: !

“Damn me” (often spelled “damme”) used to be used in English, but, as fate would have it, acquired an aura of genteelism. By 1878, it was harmless – when Sir Joseph Porter hears Captain Corcoran say, “Damme!”, he is horrified, but it is a joke that he should be horrified. Even all-child productions were done of HMS Pinafore, and no one was shocked (except Lewis Carroll).

My favorites:

(Spanish) Hijo de la gran puta / “Son of the giant whore”
(Italian) Porca miseria / “Pig misery”

When I was in college there were some Romanian exchange students that I got to be pretty decent drinking companions with and they taught me (forgive my utter lack of spelling, this is phonetic) Ya-voe-tay Bok” which according to them meant “God is fucking you”.

That’s classy.

Yeah well… on one hand, the literal meaning is offensive. On the other, us nasty-mouthed Spaniards (we have a well-earned reputation for having the dirtiest mouths in all of Hispanic-dom) use “de puta madre” to mean “real good”.

La gran puta isn’t the giant whore. It’s the great whore. Depending on the level of religious culture of the speaker, it’s “of Babylon” or just “the greatest whore in history”.

I would have spelled the Catalan cuss reported by The Master somewhat differently, but yeah, that kind of pileup (specially when done more or less spontaneously) kind of gives Extra Points in cussing contests. Try this one for size, in Spanish:
mecagüen la puta que lo parió y la leche que le dieron al cura que lo bautizó (I shit/damn the whore who gave birth to him and the (breast)milk on which the priest who baptized him was fed)

Cecil didn’t even go into any of the other Chinese dialects like Cantonese or Shanghaiese. Mandarin is alright but not world class swearing. But, damn, Cantonese is freaking rude. “Fuck your mother” is so common that you hear it in business meetings with multinational companies. Those honkies get disgustingly creative, and I don’t understand a lot of what they say.

The Spaniards are the masters. They pride themselves on inventing new blasphemies on the spot.

Heard in Spain:

Me cago en tus muertos mas frescos!

(I defecate on your most recently deceased relatives; or, more literally, I shit on your freshest dead!)

Me cago en las tetas de la Virgen que’l nino Jesus mame mierda!

(I crap on the tits of the Virgen, may the baby Jesus suckle shit!)

In Spain, the word cono (cunt) is so common, even schoolgirls use it as an interjection in the street.

To continue with the OP’s theme, don’t nearly all russian curses derive from the three words for cock, cunt, and fuck (or rather, their roots)? And yeah, it’s pretty cool how there’s variations that mean very specific actions and things.

eg: zayebis. nahuy t’ pezdish, pyodr.
translated: stfu. what for (literally, something about the veinness of placing oneself onto cocks) are you blabbering (derived from pizda, cunt. ie, because women blabber), you pederast.

a sentence i wish i could be using in the pit. although it’s obviously not to american standards of pc-ness.

On a side node, I spent my summer working with a Vietnamese person named Huy Huynh. Read as if it were russian, it directly translates to Cock Cockovich. At the same company, the CTO was a russian man whose last name was Korobka, translated as ‘a box’. The cock and the box would often engage in intercourse in the conference room, while i listened and watched. Usually, however, their conversation was not stimulating.

a better example might have been:
t’ cho, ohuyel? nahuy t’ etoo huynyu zahuyil?

Primarily using words derived from cock, two sentences were constructed. They roughly translate as:
Wtf is wrong with you? Why did you put the thing in question somewhere where you cannot find it?

There is a little misunderstanding, here. “vafffanculo” is a truncated expression, lacking of the object (as correctly noted). It is reported that in the ancient times the anus was explicitly indicated as the mother’s or the sister’s one.

On top on that, Tuscany is famous to harbour astonishingly keen swearers: it is said they can go on even for minutes with a single, tortuous and instantly coined swearing.

It’s like how I sometimes think that English is just so unfit for poetry.

It’s actually that common? I thought I was going to be kicked to death by one of my Cantonese friends after I thought I’d be cute and say Du lei lo mo (sorry about the spelling) to her. the next thing I knew she was saying ‘po guy’ and trying to kick my shins. Must have been something I said. :wink:

Perhaps ‘Zau ni ma’ would be better?

well, context is everything. fuck your mother is fighting words in the wrong context. Make sure you don’t say “um ga tsan” 'du loh sup bak zhou zhong" or anything like that. since she is female, definately do not say “chou hai” :eek:

I thought that “hum ca chan” was about as bad as you get, but that certainly would take the cake. I think in Mandrin (which I’m more familar with) the term would be chou bei? And I’m not talking about a pencil. :wink:

All this cussing and no Québécois??

For the benefit of any who may not have yet been exposed to it, Québécois cursing (called sacre, from sacré, “sacred”) is basically strings of Catholic liturgical terms concatenated with “de.” The most common ones are crisse (Christ, “Christ”), osti, esti or even sti (hostie, “communion wafer”), câlisse (calice, “chalice”), and tabarnac (tabernacle, “tabernacle”), along with ciboâre (ciboire, “pyx”), sacrament (sacrement, “sacrament”), and viarge (vierge, “Virgin”).

For example:

Mon osti de saint-sacrament de criss de câlisse de tabarnac !

Or:

Crisse-moé patience, bout de viarge ! (“Leave me the fuck alone, for Chrissakes!”; literally, “Christ me patience, bit of virgin!”)

Anything noun can be intensified with the prepositional phrase osti de (Mon osti de char est fucké, “my goddamn car is broken down.”) And crisser, as seen above, is an all-purpose verb: y m’a crissé une claque dans’ face, “he whacked me in the face,” literally, “he Christed me a smack in the face.”

And of course there are innumerable fuddle-duddle-style euphemisms for the big ones: tabarnouche, tabarslaque, tabarouette, simonac, cibollaque, câlique, câline, câline de bine, and so forth.

Osti is so common that just the consonant cluster /sts/ (with the characteristic Québécois affrication) is useful as an expression of irritation, much as one might cluck the tongue or growl in the back of the throat.

Never underestimate the power of sacre. Anglophones and people from Europe tend to think of sacre as somehow cute or funny, until they’re on the receiving end of a particularly vicious blast. One major difference between France French and Québécois, IMHO, is that you can seriously get mad in Québécois.

Indeed. “La ferme où je te la pisse dedans!”? What the hell is that? Those French people just don’t know how to get angry. :wink:

(Kidding, I’m sure there are curses from France we don’t hear in movies.)

Also, I should mention that câlisser is also an all-purpose verb with the same meaning as crisser, and the existence of the word câliboire (câlisse + ciboire), which I must admit to finding pretty stupid, but does have its uses.

Oh, good! I’ve been thinking of improving my French but you know, everything they teach you in class is both polite and kind of… grey? It’s as if, by trying to cover everything out there, they actually manage to not cover anything. Like that exercise in the book where you have to fill in five nationalities: ok, so now I know how to say “Russian” in French, but how do I say Italian, eeeeh? (no list of nationalities, I know it’s “italien/ne” from another course)

So, where do I sign up for a course in Québécois? Other than World of Warcraft’s French servers at 3am EU time :slight_smile: